PDA

View Full Version : Unique foods

AbdoRinbo
12-10-2003, 04:24 AM
I don't know how to say this exactly . . . but I've been curious for a while, seeing as how there are people on this board from all over the world, well, I was wondering what people around here ate. It's a new twist on learning about other people. Heh, maybe we all could exchange a recipe or two?

The weirder, the better.

Isagel
12-10-2003, 06:25 AM
Well, for Christmas I eat a lot of sill = pickled herring. I also eat gravad lax = raw salmon that has been laying in salt , water and sugar and dill for about 24 hours (Do not try it without the recepy - you will get sick) People that are not scandinavian seems to think that that is weird. I find a recepy if you want to try it.

The strangest thing people eat in sweden is probably Surströmming - rotten herring. I have not eaten that. The smell is awful. But they say it´s good with onions , potatoes and Snapps.

fayefaye
12-10-2003, 07:09 AM
I'm deeply addicted to something called bubble tea. It's hardly curious or weird, but you'd be shocked at the number of people who don't even know what it is. [basically sorta like different kindsa tea with starch/tapioca 'pearl' or jelly and stuff in it]. aside from that most of what I eat I'd assume most people to be familiar with. then again, I don't know what you consider weird. Some people consider shark and sea cucumber weird, but I've never seen a Chinese restaurant that doesn't serve it anyway. For anyone who doesn't know, shark tastes a bit like chicken, and sea cucumber tastes kinda lke... oh, just try it. hmm.. I don't think I've ever tried seriously strange food.

fayefaye
12-10-2003, 08:41 AM
[just have to say] I know how cruelly they kill sharks for their fins. i only ate it once- pls don't flame me for it. :( then again, think about how cruel they are to battery hens.

den
12-10-2003, 09:50 AM
mmmmarzipan
I make curry on a weekly basis
I ate at an Ethiopian restaurant last week
Pim's... little round chocolate covered cakes with apricot centre
Wasabi coated chick peas

Koa
12-10-2003, 04:14 PM
pasta, pizza. :D :D :D

Stanislaw
12-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Kubasa = sausage
Kapusta = sourkraut = fermented cabbage
pickled onions
garlic stuffed olives

Kouskous with curie.

And for dessert Chocolate mousse french style.

AbdoRinbo
12-11-2003, 04:57 AM
I've got a recipe for ya . . .

Ingredients:

1.) Six cups of tomato paste,

2.) Twelve wide noodles,

3.) A quarter lb. of mozarella cheese,

4.) Three tablespoons of oregano.

Cover the bottom of an ovensafe caserole dish with four of your wide noodles, generously shred mozarella cheese and oregano and pour two cups of tomato paste over it. Repeat twice and cover top layer with the remaining four noodles.

Then what?

Eat it, shìt it out, and eat it again.

Jay
12-11-2003, 03:02 PM
YUCK Ab :D

Azoic
12-11-2003, 03:44 PM
That IS a weird recipe.

How about this:
1 orange roughy (or any fish if you can't get that kind)
pizza dough (should be able to find recipies on the internet)
pizza sauce (see previous comment)
mozzerella cheese

on a nice sunny day, refrigerate all ingredients, except orange roughy. Place orange roughy in bright spot outside. Retrieve when properly bloated. Place dough on pan, cover with sauce then cheese, and finally slices of sun-bloated orange roughy. Bake. Enjoy!

azmuse
12-11-2003, 08:06 PM
or about about fish eyelashes and porcupine quill brioche for a true gastronomic success? served with twice-baked-brains pudding
mmm. they have this great ethiopian restaurant in d.c.; forget the name it was on a street that reminded me of south in philly

Isagel
12-12-2003, 03:51 AM
Well ...yeach!

Tomorrow it´s Lucia, so I´m going to eat Lussekatter (saffron buns) pepparkakor (gingersnaps) and glögg (hot wine with spices, almonds and raisins). Served by a beautiful lady in white, with candles on her head, and her maids in white singing in harmony.

Lucia is an old custom celebrating the saint St Lucia. She wears white, with a red ribbon round her waist to symbolice her blood.
She brings warmth and light during dark times. And glögg :-)

fayefaye
12-12-2003, 04:38 AM
I was wondering how lone it would be before people would just start making up recipes to stick up here. deep-fried human. mmm-mmm. Oh, but I really do have a good one I stumbled across-MICROWAVED CHOCOLATE MOUSSE!! It seriously tastes good. It turns into like this little pudding type thing (maybe I should just make chocolate pudding?). maybe I'll track down the recipe for the mousse later. Whenever I make it, it never turns out quite right, so I microwaved it once, and it's pretty good. :)

Isagel
12-12-2003, 07:14 AM
You give me the chocolate mousse recipe and I give you the recepi for Glögg?

fayefaye
12-12-2003, 11:14 AM
deal. :) just got to find it....

Koa
12-13-2003, 07:31 AM
ISAGEL!!! WOW! It's St. Lucia here too!!! I had heard it's a nordic tradition... Only 2 or 3 cities in the whole Italy have it, and mine does. I loved it as a child :) :) :) Well, now too, but I don't get that many presents anymore :( (she brings presents here)

Faye, I ate soemthing like the microwave chocolate you toalked about... In England, the homelnad of microwaved food. I have never seen so many cans, so many frozen stuff, and such a desperate use of the microwave as in England...

azmuse
12-13-2003, 03:13 PM
does anyone? have a truly great recipe for biscotti. i've been searching online for the last two years, and experimenting at home (most everyone uses toooo much flour, and i like softer cookies, not plywood).
quill-less suggestions only, please!

Isagel
12-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Recipe for Glögg
First you need "Spicedecoction" =
5 dl water
2 Seville (bitter)orange peels
2 pieces of ginger
2 pieces of whole cinnamon
10-15 clove
2 teaspoons cardamonn seeds

Boil gently under lid for 30 minutes.Strain.

Mix the Spicedecoction with one bottle of red wine.Add 1 dl sugar.
If you want to you add 1 dl vodka or brandy. Heat.

Serve warm in small cups with almonds and raisins.

Have a nice Lucia, Koa.

fayefaye
12-14-2003, 05:59 AM
choc mousse;
200g dark choc
45g unsalted butter
1tbs icing sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
4 eggs, separated
2/3 cup cream, whipped

place choc in heatproof bowl, stand over simmering water until melted, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

using electric beaters beat butter, sugar and essence together. Add yolks one at a time whilst beating, and chocolate, beat until smooth. fold in 1/3 of the cream

Place egg whites in bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. fold in eggwhites and remaining cream into chocolate mix. pour into cups and set.

ok, that's the mousse recipe taken from the recipe book that hates me.:( Whenever I make it, it never turns out. Anyway, if you put each individual serving in the microwave (there should be about 5-6 serves) for around 15 secs, which depends on your microwave, and size of servings, etc, it sorta becomes like pudding. I should copyright the idea before jamie oliver goes and rips me off. ;) Don't blame me if it doesn't work out though.

fayefaye
12-14-2003, 06:00 AM
oh, can someone tell me what dl stands for?

azmuse
12-14-2003, 06:05 AM
deciliters?

Isagel
12-14-2003, 08:35 AM
Yes. Deciliter.1 cup is about 1,5 dl

Koa
12-14-2003, 10:47 AM
This morning my bedroom smelled of sweets :)
I had left my St.Lucia sweets on the tabel...it was asweet sweet wakeup :)

Jay
12-15-2003, 05:10 AM
Dunno if it helps some more Faye, but a dl is one tenth of a liter...

sloegin
12-16-2003, 06:32 AM
I hope this Glögg stuff is good :confused: , or I won't be happy about using a whole bottle of booze :mad: . Does anyone want a chocolate soufflé recipe?

azmuse,
try a jewish cookbook. if you can't find anything let me know.

fayefaye
12-16-2003, 06:57 AM
yeah, let's hear the recipe.

azmuse
12-16-2003, 12:03 PM
sloegin, great idea, i didn't think of that; grazie.