PDA

View Full Version : Why not The Karamazov Brothers?

bhekti
08-22-2006, 10:06 AM
I need help with this question: why The Brothers Karamazov, not The Karamazov Brothers?

Is there really any difference in terms of meaning? If there is, what is it? is it significant to the content of the novel?

I'm sorry if this sounds silly. But my native tongue is not english and I'm very conscious of the form of every english word (or string of words) I am using. Could anyone help me?

Thanks.

Boris239
08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't think that there is any significance. In Russian it is "Братья Карамазовы" (Brothers Karamazov), so the translation was probably made to be as close as possible

Charles Darnay
08-22-2006, 11:40 AM
I think it flows better this way. "Brothers" flows in to "Karamazov" much better than "Karamazov" into "Brothers" - but maybe that's becasue I'm used to it.

Orual
04-11-2007, 10:45 PM
I have seen translations titled The Karamazov Brothers, so I suppose it is a reasonable translation. Of course, I refused to buy the book because it was titled as such, but perhaps it's just a matter of familiarity.

aeroport
04-12-2007, 12:17 AM
I suppose I only see it occasionally these days, but I think that was a pretty common way of designating siblings back in the day. One still encounters it in books and such. I doubt that there's any real significance to it. But then I haven't read it.

blank_frackis
05-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Personally I think it's entirely down to the translation. This form may be used in English very rarely, but I've never heard it and certainly it's not common usage. I would think the most likely explanation is that it's a direct translation from the Russian and it just stuck.

Nico87
10-20-2007, 09:41 PM
The Karamazov Brothers sounds so american.. :crash:

MJurczak
03-29-2008, 03:57 PM
I am Polish and I also speak russian a bit...

I would try to help you with the answear

First of all...original title is The brothers Karamazov not Karamazov Brothers

Secondly...in russian (and also polish) you can not say Karamazov Brothers, because it is a gramatical mistake.

Saladin
06-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Isnt it Bratja Karamazov in russian? Then the most good translation would be - The Brothers Karamazov. Thats pretty accurate.