PDA

View Full Version : Book - movie

Neo.lanseth
08-18-2006, 04:57 PM
I just read the book and would like to ask, in your opinion, which movie is most like the book?

melancolia
08-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen ... the movie is quite consistent with the book.
Other than that, umm Lord of the Rings Trilogy, I guess...

Neo.lanseth
08-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah, but I mean what Dracula movie is most loyal to Stoker's book...?

mono
08-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Hello, Neo.lanseth, welcome to the forum. :)
Of course, I cannot insult the 1930-something film of Dracula, and I thought it followed the plot of Bram Stoker's relatively closely, but not entirely - regardless, very well put together! :nod:
As for the Dracula made in the 1990's, I actually owned it, because I enjoyed it so much. Again, it sticks quite close with the plot, and with the original Dracula film, only constructed much more recently with special effects (and Gary Oldman plays Dracula astoundingly well!).
Though I know some people like the film, I do not recommend seeing Van Helsing in conjunction with reading Dracula by Bram Stoker. I merely thought it a film that stole a character from Dracula (Dr. Van Helsing, of course), subtracted a plot, and added special effects.
Good luck!

Bysshe
08-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Two Dracula films which I've enjoyed are "Dracula" (1931) starring Bela Lugosi and "Nosferatu" (1922). Neither of them were completey loyal to the book, but they're worth watching all the same.

Neo.lanseth
08-20-2006, 10:06 PM
I've also heard something about a Count Dracula on the BBC. What are your opinions on that?

mono
08-21-2006, 12:18 PM
I've also heard something about a Count Dracula on the BBC. What are your opinions on that?
I had never heard of it until now, and looked it up on a little Google search. Apparently, it had some decent reviews during its time (1977). Perhaps I will search around for it, as I feel curious. :nod:

kathycf
08-21-2006, 01:15 PM
There was a version shot in 1979 starring Frank Langella as Dracula. I saw it a long time ago, but it seemed fairly true to the story. Mixed reviews on it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079073/

The version mono wrote of that was made in the '90's was very true to the book, and very good. Van Helsing is just a vampire movie, not really related to Dracula the book much at all.

Dontknow
08-21-2006, 08:11 PM
That whould be "Theatre" by Somerset Maugham. I mean а russian film of Soviet time.

kathycf
08-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I think the person who started the thread is asking about movie versions of Bram Stoker's Dracula. :)

mono
08-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Van Helsing [/I]is just a vampire movie, not really related to Dracula the book much at all.
It seemed much like a typical vampire film, I agree, only the screenwriters, I felt, stole the character, Dr. Abraham Van Helsing, from the original Dracula. Of course, it does not follow the plot in the least, but merely has a character allusion.

nobby56
08-28-2006, 03:02 AM
A new BBC film of Dracula, is in production at the moment, and is to be shown at Christmas.
Marc Warren, stars as Dracula and David Suchet, takes the part of Van Helsing.
I can remember seeing the version in the 70's, by the BBC, and can recommend it.
Of the big screen versions, the Francis Ford Coppola one of the 90's is the closest to the book as already mentioned. The 1930's Bela Lugosi version, was adapted from a stage play.