PDA

View Full Version : Macbeth help....urgent

lyl g
08-12-2006, 10:37 PM
hey guys, i have to come up with 6 turning points in the book macbeth and write y its so important.
is it posible if i can get some help
its kinda urgent so plz help
lyl g

Charles Darnay
08-12-2006, 10:59 PM
It shouldn't be that difficult (if you've read the play). A starting place would be soliloquies - usually in Shakespeare, when there is a soliloquy, something is about to happen (a turning point if you will)

Identifying the turning points is easy - explaining why they're important is the hard part - so this is the part I will offer help with.

When trying to explain why something is important, you have to realize what it is important to - in this case, why a turning point is important to the overall play. Look at character development and theme; those are two very strong points.

Let's take the most obvious - the murder of Duncan. This is evidently a turning point in the play, but why? How does the murder of Duncan affect the characters - how does it change Macbeth/Lady Macbeth/Banquo? How is this scene a key example for the development of the themes in the play (betryal, ambitition...)? In what way does this particular scene completely change the course of the play (Banquo's mistrust for Macbeth, Macbeth's paranoia (if you can call it that) and need to constantly kill to cover his tracks)?

Consider these questions and do the same with some of the other turning points in the play.

Hope that helps - best of luck

Sergiorene
08-13-2006, 12:25 AM
hey guys, i have to come up with 6 turning points in the book macbeth and write y its so important.
is it posible if i can get some help
its kinda urgent so plz help
lyl g

Which are your turning points about Macbeth?

lyl g
08-13-2006, 12:35 AM
k here are my 6 turning points...
1.the witches telling macbeth he is to be king
2.lady macbeth questioning macbeths manhood,
3.king duncans murder
4.lady macbeth killing herself
5.macbeth getting beheaded
6.malcolm becoming king of scotland

now can anybody help me explain y its so important....i wood apricitate it if u can actualy give me an answer and also if anybody can think of a turning point i have missed..

Charles Darnay
08-13-2006, 12:49 AM
I don't think the witches telling Macbeth he is to be king can be called a turning point. It is the beginning of the play, it is the starting point. There is no major change because there is no previous reference point. You could make the argument that it is a turning point in Macbeth's life I guess, but not in the play.

Also, it really sounds like you don't want to do YOUR work.... so I'm going to stop posting here unless you have a valid question.

lyl g
08-13-2006, 01:35 AM
sorry bout that...nah im doing my own work but im realy not confident in this topic...i just wanted some assistance and yeh it must of sounded that i wanted u to do the whole lot....and yeh its a starting point but it also contributed to how the play ended up. bcouse without the witches telling him that, i dont think most of the stuff wouldhave happnd

Regit
08-13-2006, 04:03 AM
I agree with you about the 1st turning point lyl g

melancolia
08-13-2006, 04:53 AM
The witches telling Macbeth he is to be king more or less sets the play in motion... after all, it still was macbeth's own choice/decision to "fulfill the prophecy" or not. Starts with him battling his conscience, weighing out the temporal and eternal consequences .... basically focus on that one soliloquy (for the first turning point), which encapsulates the morality structure of the play, and shows us that Macbeth starts out "good" and "human"... but eventually ends up succumbing to his evil desires...

matthewlha
08-13-2006, 06:32 PM
The witches telling Macbeth he will be king is not the starting point of the play. The starting point is when messengers are relating news of the rebellion to King Duncan. Although Macbeth is not in the scene, all of the information is pertinent to his story. Also, we get descriptions of him doing what he should be doing--namely, defending the king--by fighting Macdonwald and "unseaming him from the nave to the chops."
In short, Macbeth starts by doing what he is supposed to, and so the witches telling him he will be king, thus outdistancing his current position and responsbilities, is a great choice for a first turning point.
Which leads to: lyl g, why are you not confident in this topic? You seem to have thought about it enough. Get some guts, already. There's not reason to be scared of standing behind your own thinking. You don't need the approval of others (except your teacher, obviously).

penelopea
08-13-2006, 06:45 PM
why 6?
Try Holmes Notes (Amazon)

lyl g
08-14-2006, 01:02 AM
geez thanks guys...ive finnished writing it up:any comments will be hugely apriciated...remember guys...im still yr10
Select six moments that you are important in the play and explain your choices.

”Macbeth” is a very intriguing book full of many important scenes. Here are my choices on the most influential parts of the book.

Moment 1:
The 3 witches telling Macbeth and Banquo, that Macbeth is to be king: The reason I think that this is a influential part of the play is, given that, when Macbeth had heard he is to be ‘King of Scotland’, his character abruptly turned into a wicked and greedy person. Also this part of the play had an effect on many of the characters’ roles. Some of the characters affected were:
1. Lady Macbeth: She also turned wicked, plotting how to kill ‘King Duncan’ hence forcing Macbeth to do the evil deed.
2. King Duncan: Obviously with him dying, as a result of this news, affected his characters role
3. Donalbain and Malcolm: Having to flee the county and go to England and Ireland.

Moment 2:
Macbeth sending Lady Macbeth a letter, regarding the news the witches had enlighten him with: I desperately think this is the most constructive turning point of the whole play, simply based on, in my opinion, this is what triggered many events that followed like:
1.Lady Macbeth inviting the King to come and sleep at their house
2.Macbeth killing ‘King Duncan”
3.Donalbain and Malcolm: Having to flee the county and go to England and Ireland.
Also this particular scene represented the theme of the book, which is ‘Greed’. Lady Macbeth didn’t even care what troubles she would have to overcome so she can make her husband King, or even what affect it would have on Duncan’s family. All that was in her mind was that Duncan must die.

Moment 3:
Macbeth killing King Duncan: The murder of King Duncan is a very significant part of the play because; it had an affect on many of the character. Whether it would be on
Lady Macbeth (Committing suicide because she couldn’t stand her life anymore and she was always paranoid that she had King Duncan’s blood on her hand),
Macbeth (Becoming the ‘King of Scotland’, hence gaining fierce power and having a saying hand in a lot of murders)
Donalbain and Malcolm (If Duncan wasn’t killed then they wouldn’t had to flee the country)
Also this scene leads to Macbeth losing Banquo’s trust, Macbeth's paranoia and his need to constantly kill to cover-up his tracks.

Moment 4:
Macbeth blaming Duncan’s death on Duncan’s sons: This is a very important part of the play, because if Macbeth didn’t blame Duncan’s sons on their father’s murder then they would’ve got the title ‘King of Scotland’, which Macbeth was after. This also has relevance in the books theme (Greed) because; Macbeth was that greedy, that he had the guts to blame Duncan’s sons instead of just owning up to it himself.

Moment 5:
Lady Macbeth’s Insanity: This was also a turning point in the play. Lady Macbeth’s mental status proved that she couldn’t cope with the pressure of lying about Duncan’s murder and that greed isn’t going to get you anywhere. She started seeing blood on her hands, and daggers in mid air.
This had an affect on Macbeth because his wife was forced to commit suicide hence leaving him to fight for himself in a world that was out to get him.

Moment 6:
Macbeth being beheaded, and Malcolm becoming King of Scotland: This was an immensely razor-sharp part of the play, because Macbeth was a very powerful character in the play dictating many people’s lives. But once Macbeth was dead, Malcolm became the new King of Scotland. Almost everybody was happy when Macbeth was beheaded and Malcolm was given the prized honour.
This is the final part of the play and it complicated an otherwise simple conclusion.

Charles Darnay
08-14-2006, 01:38 AM
geez thanks guys...ive finnished writing it up:any comments will be hugely apriciated...remember guys...im still yr10

”Macbeth” is a very intriguing book full of many important scenes. Here are my choices on the most influential parts of the book.

Moment 1:
The 3 witches telling Macbeth and Banquo, that Macbeth is to be king: The reason I think that this is a influential part of the play is, given that, when Macbeth had heard he is to be ‘King of Scotland’, his character abruptly turned into a wicked and greedy person. Also this part of the play had an effect on many of the characters’ roles. Some of the characters affected were:
1. Lady Macbeth: She also turned wicked, plotting how to kill ‘King Duncan’ hence forcing Macbeth to do the evil deed.
2. King Duncan: Obviously with him dying, as a result of this news, affected his characters role
3. Donalbain and Malcolm: Having to flee the county and go to England and Ireland.

Moment 2:
Macbeth sending Lady Macbeth a letter, regarding the news the witches had enlighten him with: I desperately think this is the most constructive turning point of the whole play, simply based on, in my opinion, this is what triggered many events that followed like:
3.Donalbain and Malcolm: Having to flee the county and go to England and Ireland.
Also this particular scene represented the theme of the book, which is ‘Greed’. Lady Macbeth didn’t even care what troubles she would have to overcome so she can make her husband King, or even what affect it would have on Duncan’s family. All that was in her mind was that Duncan must die.

Moment 3:
Macbeth killing King Duncan: The murder of King Duncan is a very significant part of the play because; it had an affect on many of the character. Whether it would be on
Lady Macbeth (Committing suicide because she couldn’t stand her life anymore and she was always paranoid that she had King Duncan’s blood on her hand),
Macbeth (Becoming the ‘King of Scotland’, hence gaining fierce power and having a saying hand in a lot of murders)
Donalbain and Malcolm (If Duncan wasn’t killed then they wouldn’t had to flee the country)
Also this scene leads to Macbeth losing Banquo’s trust, Macbeth's paranoia and his need to constantly kill to cover-up his tracks.

Moment 4:
Macbeth blaming Duncan’s death on Duncan’s sons: This is a very important part of the play, because if Macbeth didn’t blame Duncan’s sons on their father’s murder then they would’ve got the title ‘King of Scotland’, which Macbeth was after. This also has relevance in the books theme (Greed) because; Macbeth was that greedy, that he had the guts to blame Duncan’s sons instead of just owning up to it himself.

Moment 5:
Lady Macbeth’s Insanity: This was also a turning point in the play. Lady Macbeth’s mental status proved that she couldn’t cope with the pressure of lying about Duncan’s murder and that greed isn’t going to get you anywhere. She started seeing blood on her hands, and daggers in mid air.
This had an affect on Macbeth because his wife was forced to commit suicide hence leaving him to fight for himself in a world that was out to get him.

Moment 6:
Macbeth being beheaded, and Malcolm becoming King of Scotland: This was an immensely razor-sharp part of the play, because Macbeth was a very powerful character in the play dictating many people’s lives. But once Macbeth was dead, Malcolm became the new King of Scotland. Almost everybody was happy when Macbeth was beheaded and Malcolm was given the prized honour.
This is the final part of the play and it complicated an otherwise simple conclusion.

Ok....... sorry for being harsh before, I didn't mean to offend. However, my pride aside, onto more importnat things.

Very strong points overall - jus a few little edits that I think would make your paper stronger.

Moment 1:
- When referring to the 3 witches, spell out the word three (u should never use numbers in a paper unless referring to a date, or a large number)
- Refer to Macbeth as a play, not a book
-King of Scotland does not have to be in quotations.
- You write "his character abruptly turns into a greedy and wicked person". Someone's character is not a person. I think it would work better as either "he abruptly turned into a greedy and wiked person" or "his character abruptly turned into a greedy and wicked one" - just a thought
- You write "Obviously with him dying..." try not to use the word obviously. Yes it is obvious, but you don't want that kind of a tone, it kind of feels degrading to the reader.

Moment 2: Very good points.
- whe you write "enlighten" - it should be past tense, but you might want a more appropriate word, like "revealed"
- you write "simply based on" should be "simply becasue" - there's not much of a difference, but it flows better with the rest of the sentence.
- It's good how you talk about the development of the teme here, becasue that is very important. You should also tie into that, that this is the moment when we really see what Lady Macbeth is like.

Moment 3:
- Your last point is good, about Macbeth losing Banquo's trust. However, your other points become too repetitive. It is true that all three moments produce the same effect (Macbeth becomming king, Malcom and Donalbain fleeing), but I think you should try to come up with new stuff. Mentioning that this leads to Lady Macbeth's suicide is good.

Moment 4:
-I don't think you should write "he had the guts to..." - try ot reword that, I think.
-You're definatly right about the development of the theme of greed. However this is more. THere is also a development of Duncan's sons in this moment. They know that they are not responsible, but they flee all the same; showing that they are cowardly. This flight allows Macbeth to take the throne, which causes suspicions from others.

Moment 5:
- Instead of choosing her insanity as a turning point, why not her suicide itself? Your reasons are pretty much correct - she couldn't live with the lie. She was the mastermind behind it all and now her concsience is playing tricks with her.

Moment 6: ("Turn hellhound turn" - I love this scene!)

- Anyways, valid points, but you might want to add something about justice. Macbeth is getting what he deserves, Shakespeare shows (like always) that when the villain feels as if he is at the top of his game, there is always retribution.

I hope this helps somewhat.... best of luck to you!

- M. Darnay

lyl g
08-14-2006, 02:48 AM
k here is my fixed up version...once again if anybody had nything to add...i would love to hear from u!...thnx very much everybody that has helped me...i wouldnt have done it without u guys...

”Macbeth” is a very intriguing and somewhat obscure play full of many important scenes. Here are my choices on the most influential parts of the book.

Moment 1:
The three witches telling Macbeth and Banquo, that Macbeth is to be king: The reason I think that this is a influential part of the play is, given that, when Macbeth had heard he is to be ‘King of Scotland’, he abruptly turned into a greedy and wicked person. Also this part of the play had an effect on many of the characters’ roles. Some of the characters affected were:
2. King Duncan: With his murder coming consequently, as a result of this news, it affected his characters role

Moment 2:
Macbeth sending Lady Macbeth a letter, regarding the news the witches had revealed to him: I desperately think this is the most constructive turning point of the whole play, simply because, in my opinion, this is what triggered many events that followed like:
Also this particular scene represented the theme of the book, which is ‘Greed’. Lady Macbeth didn’t even care what troubles she would have to overcome so she can make her husband King, or even what affect it would have on Duncan’s family. All that was in her mind was that Duncan must die. Moreover this is the scene where Lady Macbeth’s real character comes alight and as readers, we finally understand her real persona.

Moment 3:
Macbeth killing King Duncan: The murder of King Duncan is a very significant part of the play because; it had an affect on many of the character:
Lady Macbeth (Committing suicide because she couldn’t stand her life anymore and she was always paranoid that she had King Duncan’s blood on her hand)
Donalbain and Malcolm: (losing their father)

Moment 4:
Macbeth blaming Duncan’s death on Duncan’s sons: This is a very important part of the play, because if Macbeth didn’t blame Duncan’s sons on their father’s murder then they would’ve got the title ‘King of Scotland’, which Macbeth was after. This also has relevance in the books theme, which is ’Greed’ because; Macbeth was that greedy, that he had such immorality in his heart to blame Duncan’s sons instead of just acknowledge he had killed the king. This scene also shows us that even though the two sons where not responsible to live on their own, they were cowardly enough to flee, hence leaving Macbeth to fulfill his desire and be king.

Moment 5:
Lady Macbeth’s Insanity: This was also a turning point in the play. Lady Macbeth’s mental status proved that she couldn’t cope with the pressure of lying about Duncan’s murder and that greed isn’t going to get you anywhere. She started seeing blood on her hands, and daggers in mid air proving to herself she is mentally wounded.

Moment 6:

lyl g
08-17-2006, 05:40 AM
thnx guys 4 all ur help...i handed it in and got an A+
CHEERS