PDA

View Full Version : The Seventh Seal

Avera04
12-05-2003, 01:19 PM
This Bergman film (the script also out in book form) is awe-inspiring and unforgettable. It really is poetry. And art. It is only a film by default.
I saw it again a few nights ago.. for the 4th time. And for the first time in my life I truly appreciated its absolute life-affirming quality. The horror was only there to form a backdrop, so to speak, for the absolutely positive view of life and all its miraculous improbability and gratuitous beauty as well as an absolute compassion for its sorrows and shortcomings. The horrors of life are still unmitigated, and still unforgiven, but the question.. and the challenge... and the trailing conclusions are, necessarily, left with the viewer/reader/perceiver.
What will you and I do with the short/less short reprieve left to us????
I also wanted to put this note in the "religious/spiritual" category, in case anybody missed it here. But I didn't and I'm not completely sure why.
Seeing this film again was a kind of end-of year holiday gift to myself. Can I share its great riches within with someone else out there?

nicholasburrus
12-06-2003, 12:38 AM
Soynds good is it?

Avera04
12-06-2003, 04:01 AM
Go rent the movie "The Seventh Seal" and share it with your family. That's my gift to you! Blessings and peace. Avera:cool:

poeboy
12-15-2003, 01:22 PM
I have "The Seventh Seal" on DVD from the Criterion Collection. It is one of Bergman's masterpieces. It was the first film by Bergman that I saw back in my college days. "Virgin Spring" was the second one and after that I was hooked. I just got "Wild Strawberries" and have my eye set on Bergman's trilogy "Through A Glass Darkly", "Winterlight" and "The Silence".
I highly recommend Bergman to anyone interested in intelligent cinema.

Robert E Lee
12-18-2003, 09:24 PM
The Seventh Seal contains a huge ****-up anachronism. The Black Death (bubonic plague) did not hit Europe until about 150 years after the last crusade.

Isagel
12-19-2003, 07:56 AM
My favorite Bergman movie is actually "Fanny och Alexander". And itīs christmas setting is perfect for the season. Hope you like it as well.