PDA

View Full Version : That Five Times Sentence Game!

Jean-Baptiste
08-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Here’s the contest.
Write the best sentence using the word “that” five times consecutively. Yes it is possible; yes it is proper English.
Submissions will be judged on creativity, coherence, logic, and flowiness.
Five extra points will be awarded to the use of a sixth “that” somewhere in the sentence. (be mindful not to sacrifice twelve hundred points of smooth for the five points of a sixth that.)
Twenty extra points will be awarded for every sesquipedalian incorporated into the sentence.

Examples:
Incorrect -- Now that that is over that is all that there is to say about that.

Correct -- Is it false to say that that that that that caught was exosculated?

Winners will receive world wide applause.

Charles Darnay
08-09-2006, 12:34 PM
If and Which were discussing that That that, That that, and that That were by far the best That's.

You didn't specify capitalization and punctuation rules

Madhuri
08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Oh My, that is difficult...........Does anyone has a winning formula????

Jean-Baptiste
08-09-2006, 02:32 PM
HaHa. Excellent, Charles. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the meaning of your sentence, but so far I think it's very clever. Yes, you're right, no restrictions on puncuation or capitalization (apostrophe S will also be accepted) so long as the consecutivity rule is followed.
Madhuri, I was hoping that you would have the winning formula.

Logos
08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
The fact that that `that' that that member Charles Darnay used is correct makes me hopeful that there will be many more entries here :)

Charles Darnay
08-09-2006, 10:31 PM
There's not much meaning to my sentence, I just personified conjunctures "If, Which and That,"

A possible formula - not what I used but may work, is look up all the different definitions for "that", that way that that that that guy posted is a legitimate that....... hmmm

Jean-Baptiste
08-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap!