PDA

View Full Version : What is Pip's state of mind?

lulubell1022
08-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I am reading Great Expectations for my English Class and I was wondering what Pip's state of mind was in Chapter 4. I can't quite figure it out. Can you please answer me back asap!!

lalaine
08-14-2006, 10:00 AM
In Chapter 4, I believe Pip was quite apprenhensive someone might figure out what he has done, especially when they find out that there was a cut from the pork pie. I think.

whytry2knowme
10-11-2006, 03:13 PM
"I fully expected to find a Constable in the kitchen, waiting to take me up. But not only was there no Constable there, but no discovery had yet been made of the robbery"

Pip is very guilty and even more paranoid about stealing the "wittles" from his pantry for the Magwitch. Pip's state of mind is at unease, always expecting someone to come and take him away. His beliefs on what is right and wrong, as well as his fear for punishment, alters Pip's attitude around the house (like when he crams his dinner one night, insulting his sister and worrying Uncle Joe that he might hurt himself).

"But, I ran no further than the house door, for there I ran head foremost into a party of soldiers with their muskets: one of whom held out a pair of handcuffs to me"

When the unexpected officers come at the end of the chapter, Pip believes that they have come for him, making him panic and want to run away, but his fear keeps him where he is. Dickens gives a nice few paragraphs describing how panicked Pip feels...which, I guess, gives an okay-answer to your question..hehe...hopefully..>_<

<33 Kat