PDA

View Full Version : The return of the native

downing
08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
This was a fine book. I read it twice. I like Eustacia and Wildeve, but I also like Clym. I think that all the characters were were well portrayted and I enjoyed reading the book. It is probably one of the best Hardy books. what do you think of it?

Saskila
10-04-2006, 12:06 PM
I disagree. I found the book tedious, as did most of my A level english literature class. The characters were Vladamir Propps, little or no origionality, the story was predictable, and most of all, the language and technique of Hardy was far too elaborate for a novel and it should have stuck to being a serialised peice of literature so people had the time to comprehend one chapter before being forced to read the next.

Behemoth
11-12-2006, 11:39 AM
I also read this text for my A Level, and to begin with our entire class DESPISED it! I think it's a very difficult text to begin with, particularly if you've not read Hardy before - the first two chapters are extremely offputting! However, having now spent two years studying it, it's become one of my favourites, and I can honestly say that repeated reading does improve it, as you get more involved in the narrative, and with the characters. Now it gives me a warm glowy feeling to read :) Keep at it, and you'll reap the rewards.

Janine
11-16-2006, 03:29 AM
I agree with Behemoth. I have heard people say they had trouble getting into the book, I think I did at first as well. This book gets better, if read a few times. Seeing the Hallmark version of the film might help you to visualize the area and the characters. I really thought the movie was well done.

Saskila
12-07-2006, 03:39 PM
The film, if anything made it so much worse. repeated reading of course improves any novel, you learn more, understand more, but in this case, you become more bored as you realise HOW monotonous is actually is. But each to their own :)

downing
12-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Which is your favourite character?

Tasmanian
02-11-2007, 09:05 AM
I've just begun reading this book yesterday.

Will respond when finished.

Laurette
04-01-2007, 02:53 PM
People didn't like the book? I really did, for some reason. Granted, it took me ages to get through the first book, but the moment Clym showed up I really got into it. I thought the portraying of the characters in the setting was very powerful. I was intensely interested in Eustacia and Clym, and I enjoyed how my opinion of all the characters fluctuated and changed as they faced different situations.

Not the easiest book ever, I guess, but I'm glad I read it. :)

AARONDISNEY
07-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I've just started reading it and found the first chapter (describing the heath) a little boring. Could have been much condensed. Looks like most on here didn't care much for it. Oh, well. If I have the same opinion it'll just be 4 or 5 days of my life down the toilet.

AARONDISNEY
07-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm near the end of this book and I've got to say that I disagree with most. I really did like the book. I've been reading nothing but Dickens all year long and so it was a little refreshing to read a story with a more direct plot than most of Dickens' stories (however I LOVE Dickens' stories, even though there's about 30 mini-stories in one novel intertwined). I'll read more Hardy pretty soon. Any suggestions on what my next Hardy venture should be?

littlewing53
08-15-2007, 02:58 PM
hmm...maybe i will try again...i was cleaning the bookshelf last weekend and saw this book..bought it at a garage sale...was so excited 50 cents...i tried twice to read it and each time put it down and gathered dust...

Sir Bartholomew
01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
i love it. Eustacia's a cool chick.

oblivion252
11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
It's great but very tragic at the end.
I totally disagree with the 'tacked on' secondary ending though - Venn should have stayed mysterious (as Hardy notes).

onioneater
10-08-2009, 03:01 PM
I loved this book, but I REALLY loved listening to Alan Rickman's reading of it on audiobook. It was FANTASTIC! Thomas Hardy is one of my favorites. The Woodlanders is fantastic too, as is Far from the Madding Crowd, etc.

Mariamosis
01-22-2010, 05:38 PM
I absolutely loved this book, however, I have not found one Hardy book in which I didn't thoroughly enjoy. While reading the book I had a love hate relationship with Eustacia, and I fell in love with Venn's character and really wanted him to prevail. Depending on which version you read.... in the Barnes and Nobles Classic Version he did finally end up with Thomasin. :)

Janine
01-22-2010, 05:49 PM
I absolutely loved this book, however, I have not found one Hardy book in which I didn't thoroughly enjoy. While reading the book I had a love hate relationship with Eustacia, and I fell in love with Venn's character and really wanted him to prevail. Depending on which version you read.... in the Barnes and Nobles Classic Version he did finally end up with Thomasin. :)

I totally agree with you on this one, Mariasmosis. I had the same love/hate relationship with E and I my favorite character was definitely V. I loved the rainy night, when all came together and fate played a huge role in diverting the intentions of the characters. Amazing how Hardy pulled that one off. I also love the many Hardy books I have read. Many times he starts out describing the landscape and it's not easy to be captivated until the main characters appear and become more developed. It's just Hardy's style and way. The character of the environment is very vital to the whole of the book and the deeper meaning. I think in this day and age people look for instant gratification in everything, novels as well. When Hardy wrote this book and his others, times were different - my simplified and rural, especially in his little corner of England. Therefore the books then appealed to a larger population. I think if one gives these books a little time, you will all be very delighted in the novels when you close the last page. I found them very satisfying myself.

MANICHAEAN
02-13-2013, 03:15 AM
I had never read any of Thomas Hardy before and picked up “The Return of the Native” purely by chance in a charity shop in the UK for 25p. I read it here in Papua New Guinea, which is as about as far from its original geographical context that you can get! It was a new lodestone for me in reading and I have since moved on and completed “Tess of the D’Urbervilles” and am currently reading “The Mayor of Casterbridge.”
Like George Elliot, another of my favourite Victorian writers, Hardy has that ability to see into the simmering relationships of couples without all the sexual connotations so prevalent today, a bit like finding a woman sexier with clothes on than in the buff. He seamlessly introduces references from mythology, biblical characters, artists and history, which, after the initial read, has one scrambling to uncover new gems of background information and relevance.