PDA

View Full Version : What Arguments could be created???

Chanela07
07-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Hello Everyone!!!
I have to write a 5 page paper for my english lit. course on Act II scene 1 in Hamlet...but I have to write an argumentive essay. I don't know where to start though!! :mad: I have read Hamlet, so I don't need help as far as a summary...I just need ideas if possible. Does anyone have any ideas??? It would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

ash_of_lee
10-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Your Argument should be: Ophelia is the sub conscious of a man whos being sexually seduced by a woman. Imagin Lord Polonius being the commentator of the event and the conscious of a woman. Read 77-100 to understand it is him being seduced by her as well as a man trying to understand what going on.

NaugyShake12
12-05-2006, 11:00 PM
One issue that could possibly be argued that comes to my mind when after reading Act II Scene I, is that Polonius is either an extremely obsessive and untrusting father only to his two children, or that he is a radical, self contradicting fool who trusts no one and that he believes each person has their own personal agendas and motivations. Support for the first point of view can be seen through when he sends a spy (Reynaldo) to go to France and watch his son's (Laertes) every move. He even tells Reynalado to spread lies about Laertes to others subtly so his reputation is not tainted, but they still can arrive at the truth which in this case is how Laertes behaves away from his father.
The latter can be argued when Polonius jumps to the conclusion that Hamlet has gone mad because he (Polonius) has spurned him away from his daughter (Ophelia) because Polonius folishly misreads Hamlet's motives and says that Hamlet only wishes to sleep with Ophelia and that he is not truly in love with her. These ideas are clearly preposterous. To further enhance this farfetched idea of Polonius, he sets up a "trap" to find out if Hamlet truly is mad over Ophelia. He says he will spy on them both and look for signs that hamlet cannot live without her love and affection.

Redzeppelin
12-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Here's an idea: another thread here on Hamlet discusses whether or not Hamlet is merely playing "mad" or he really is "mad." I think an interesting paper would argue he is not mad by examining the "madness" level of his conversations throughout Act 2.

If you watch Hamlet's interactions with characters you will see this. Hamlet first comes on stage with Polonious - and his lines are almost incomprehensible because they are loaded with allusions and puns. Polonious (and the reader) can barely follow him. But watch what happens when Hamlet converses with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern: his comments take on a witty, semi-philosophical turn - he is arguing with his friends and then - within a matter of minutes - exposes their complicity. Then, with the players he is almost fully lucid - discoursing on drama and actually doing a mini-performance that Polonious actually praises.

Here's my thesis: the closer in relationship a person is to Hamlet, the more "crazy" he must appear. Polonious is close to Hamlet, and to Claudius - so Hamlet must "distance" Polonious from him by seeming fully off his rocker. R & G are not such a threat (at first) and Hamlet is less "mad" with them. The players have no close relationship with Hamlet, and he is lucid with them. And, to complete this thought, consider this: to Ophelia - she whom Hamlet is closest to of all - he speaks NOTHING. Perhaps the only way to fake madness with her was to simply "act" - any words to her would surely have betrayed him.

Hope that's helpful...

schadenfreude
05-15-2007, 05:19 AM
I like your idea, Redzepplin, however, I think Hamlet is fairly lucid with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in the beginning because they have a fairly close relationship with him- they are Hamlet's childhood friends.

Redzeppelin
05-15-2007, 03:31 PM
I like your idea, Redzepplin, however, I think Hamlet is fairly lucid with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in the beginning because they have a fairly close relationship with him- they are Hamlet's childhood friends.

Correct: of all the conversations Hamlet has with others in Act 2, with R&G he is most lucid; everyone else gets varying degrees of "madness" thrown at them.