PDA

View Full Version : 'The Brothers Karamazov': Favorites

Scheherazade
07-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Who is your favorite character in The Brothers Karamazov and why? What is your favorite quote/passage?

Book Club Procedures (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57103#post57103)

Bita
09-22-2006, 02:49 PM
My favourite is most certainly Ivan - I was in love with him .... :blush:

Idril
09-22-2006, 09:18 PM
My favourite is most certainly Ivan - I was in love with him .... :blush:

I have to say, I'm with you on that one. :blush: ;) He was such a fascinating character, so much more complex and compelling than the heavenly Alyosha and a little less nuts than the emotional Dmitri and not nearly as murderous as Smerdyakov. But then again, I've always been a sucker for the aloof man. :D

bazarov
09-23-2006, 03:40 AM
Ivan is my pick also, he is the probably the greatest and the cleverest intellectual in Russian literature. He looks real, and in the other hand Alyosha is just too good, like Myshkin in Idiot(maybe smarter), he is some sort of Russian Christ.

Kurtz
09-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Nobody Likes Rakitan! Sorry, but Ivan was weak. I side with the devil

roseytrebles
10-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Ivan. He's one of my favorite characters in all the books I've read, and I'm also totally in love with him. What do you think happens to him at the end? I'm almost afraid to ask....

bazarov
11-12-2008, 03:17 PM
He gone crazy, my guess is he died soon after the story ended.

amalia1985
11-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Ivan. One of my most favourite literary characters ever!

islandclimber
11-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Ivan is amazing... one of my favourite characters in all literature.. I also kind of like Smerdyakov, even though he is a snake in the grass, he is an interesting character..

but Dostoevsky has so many fantastic characters in his works... my favourites are Ivan, Raskolnikov, Dolgoruky, stepan trofimovich, and the engineer Kirilov.. I like Myshkin also although he is a little too good to be my favourite character.. the narrator of Notes from the Underground is pretty amazing as well..

Ohmyscience
11-12-2008, 10:52 PM
It's so difficult to chose but I think one that resonates most with me is Ivan. All the characters are spectacular. Its as if Dost. was able to capture every personality within his novel. When reading the novel I couldn't help but recognize some people I know personally who resemble the characters so well.

Gladys
01-28-2009, 04:07 AM
The father, Fyodor Pavlovich, is an exquisitely convincing character.

Dori
01-28-2009, 07:52 AM
I liked Alyosha. Ivan was cool too; he was a close second.

I agree with islandclimber on Smerdyakov's being an interesting character. I don't admire him by any means, though.

I somewhat liked Dmitri too, but I detested him at the same time. Same goes for Grushenka.

But still, Alyosha pretty much tops them all for me at least.

Tsuyoiko
01-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Dmitri is my favourite. I always warm to the most flawed character. Alyosha has his good character, Ivan has his principles, but what does Dmitri have? That's why I forgive him his debauchery; he just behaves like that to fill a big hole in his life.

rimbaud
01-31-2009, 08:12 AM
ivan, i just love him, Im making my paper on him :D

NEEMAN
02-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Good old Mitya. For me, he's the most interesting character, and in my opinion, the one Dostoevsky realised best. Dimitri's thought process in several parts of the book is just the kind of brilliant psychological insight that won him fame.