PDA

View Full Version : Kant's 'Critique of pure reason'

caesar
07-28-2006, 02:28 AM
Can someone tell me which is the best English translation of the 'Critique of Pure Reason' by Immanuel Kant?

Also, kindly, express your opinion about the book.

Thanks.

mono
07-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Hello, caesar. Firstly, I congratulate you for desiring to possibly read Kant's Critique Of Pure Reason. To answer your question, I have a copy translated by F. Max Müller, and found it very clear, helpful, and complete with footnotes.
Overall, the book itself I thought far more challenging than the translation. Kant, no doubt, I consider one of my favorite philosophers to read, and I agree with him on things I can understand, but also think him quite difficult to comprehend on occasion. This Critique (as a few Critiques exist of his) explores almost every branch of philosophy: cosmology, existentialism, ethics, ontology, epistemology, religion/spirituality, very little on aesthetics, etc.
Of his other Critiques, as I mentioned, Critique Of Practical Reason, a very short book, merely verifies some of the teachings of Critique Of Pure Reason, which underwent some criticism; additionally, Critique Of Judgment, a bit longer of a book, I loved, as it explored a lot about aesthetics and teleology. Lastly, he also has a book primarily on ethics, entitled Groundwork For The Metaphysic Of Morals. :)
Happy reading!

literaturerocks
07-28-2006, 11:12 PM
i too bought this book and i have the intention of reading it though i dont remember what translation and i dont think i will hobble over to my bookcase to find out (a broken toe surely has its disadvantages..but then again what advantages does it have?) but i read a little bit of this and find it immensly interesting and look forward to reading it. and mono i will look into those other critiques you mentioned after i read the current one i posses.

caesar
07-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Thank you Mono.

I first came to know about the ‘Critique of Pure reason’, some years ago, while reading, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, in which there is a reference made to this book. But, it was only after I came across one of your posts, wherein you had recommended this book to someone, that I made up my mind to read this book. I can hardly find time to read anything else other than law books, so I have to be very choosy about the other books on which I am going to invest my precious little spare time. I will go for the F. Max Muller’s translation; even my search on the Internet weighed in favour of this version.

mono
07-29-2006, 11:05 PM
I surely wish you both luck, as attempting to understand the book comes with some difficulty. To further map out some of Kant's ideas, I found simply a paper and pen worked for taking notes, as he can sometimes write in an outline style, and each idea leads to the other logically. Nonetheless, any of his works pose a bit of a challenge.
Perhaps when both/either of you finish, we can discuss it. :nod:
Good luck!

Gallantry
07-30-2006, 01:25 AM
funny you mention those others mono I have the groundings for the metaphysics of morals right next to me :)