PDA

View Full Version : Phantom

RDraconis
07-21-2006, 02:31 PM
First, I apologize deeply if this doesn't fit as it isn't "Leroux's" phantom- merely based on the story. However, I wasn't sure where else to ask.

Why does everyone like Susan Kay's 'Phantom'? I'm not saying it's bad, because I know I'm terribly picky when it comes to writing, especially first person, but I didn't think it was a good story when I think of it as based in any way on the other depictions of Erik's life.
So... why does everyone else like it? I'm not saying it's bad, simply that I didn't like it. But I'm curious what other people like about it, especially compared to Leroux.

PhantomLover2
08-09-2006, 11:45 AM
I liked Susan Kay's Phantom because it makes Erik seem human and not well... (for lack of a better word) divine. Erik is not as scary in susan kay's version. I also enjoyed her giving Erik a past that we see. in Leroux's version, the only time we hear of Erik's past is when he speaks to the persion. I didn't like Erik's other soured love-affair in Persia. He already has had uncomprehensible loss and sadness for her to add that in, it makes Erik's pain almost unbearable. I liked her Christine better and I think Emmy Rossum should have taken lessons from that other Christine and from Leroux's Christine before playing Christine in the musical... but that's another story. And yeah, I liked the ending because we know for sure that Christine loved Erik and Erik loved her and he only sent her with Raoul so she could have a better life. Something Erik couldn't have given her. Plus Christine is ready to stay with Erik and accept whatever happens next.

RDraconis
08-09-2006, 05:25 PM
I liked Susan Kay's Phantom because it makes Erik seem human and not well... (for lack of a better word) divine. Erik is not as scary in susan kay's version.
Heh, yeah. I didn't like that. I like Erik as scary and inhuman better. Monster or Demi-God, but not human.

I didn't like Erik's other soured love-affair in Persia. He already has had uncomprehensible loss and sadness for her to add that in, it makes Erik's pain almost unbearable.
I missed the love affair in Persia... Then, I skipped most of the book because it kept annoying me. ^^;
And Kay's Erik... His pain made me grin. Of course, it didn't help that he started being obnoxiously self-pitying. That whole "I'm a genius but no girl will ever love me" stuff got on my nerves. And then when he was all "You hate spiders so you must hate me". I mean, dude! WTF? There's a reason you won't get laid and it's got nothing to do with your face.
The only time I really felt sorry for him was up until he was 6. His mom was so mean... /Throwing/ a baby?! Geez...

I liked her Christine better and I think Emmy Rossum should have taken lessons from that other Christine and from Leroux's Christine before playing Christine in the musical... but that's another story.
Emmy... Well... She needed alot of lessons in how to show emotion beyond "My love is about to die! I want to help him, but, no, I can't ruin this dress!" Heheh, it wasn't that bad, but yeah. She could use a bit of work. It still came out alright, though, so I won't complain too much. And it might not be her fault- maybe it was bad scripting... I know in the musical Christine got mad at Carlotta instead of just taking it, but then in the movie... she didn't. The worst she got was "...turn to tears of HATE!" at the end.

Phangirl7
08-01-2009, 11:13 AM
First, I've never read Susan Kay's version, so I can't talk about it.

Second, yeah, I wish they'd kept the part where Christine stands up to Carlotta in the movie instead of having her all "deer-in-the-headlights, what do I do?" all the time.
P.G.7.

rae709
09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
hope you don't mind if I put my two cents in.

I'm a huge fan of both books. Gaston Leroux shows Erik in a mysterious, haunting kind of way. Susan Kay shows him as a human being, with a soul and emotions. Susan made him more likable, or for some people, more lovable. I fell in love with both characters in the different versions of this tale.