PDA

View Full Version : Government.

Union Jack
07-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Simple... Right?

What is the role of government?

What is the role of the society in government?

What makes a form of government effective or not?

In your opinion, what is the most effective form of Government?
Why?

Do not feel compelled to stick to the classical forms ie, communism, facism, democracy... If you have developed an original system, I'd love to read about it.

This debate has raged....forever basically, lets start it up again. :nod:

subterranean
07-20-2006, 08:31 PM
What is the role of government? to govern

What is the role of the society in government? to be governed

What makes a form of government effective or not? the skill to govern the governed

Anything, long as it manages to govern the governed

Simple... Right?

Apologize, but it's 7.30 am in the morning, and beside thinking about the real meaning of Radio Free Europe, I don't feel like thinking about anything else.

Cheers, UJ

Fat29
07-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Just some of my quick answers to your queries.

Role of government is to improve the well being of the people.

Role of society is to elect the government and provide feedback and help to the government so that the government can be an effective force in shaping the well being of the people.

The form of government that is effective is one that help to upgrade the well being of the people to the extent or beyond the extent that is expected by the populace.

The most effective form of government is one that does the above. I have no particular bias or preference for any style of government because I feel that they are all good for a particular type of situation.

Simple... Right?
Why?
Do not feel compelled to stick to the classical forms ie, communism, facism, democracy... If you have developed an original system, I'd love to read about it.
This debate has raged....forever basically, lets start it up again. :nod:

Union Jack
07-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Must the government protect the rights of the individual, or the society as a whole, possibly at the expense of individuals?

Are their natural rights? Such as life, freedom, pursuit of happiness?

RDraconis
07-21-2006, 06:25 PM

Why?
1. To govern. I think it should also strive to keep the people it governs safe, healthy, etc. Generally serve their best interests.
2. Depends. Follow what the government tells it to do. Rebel if it isn't working.
3. If they're run by humans- they're ineffective.
4. None. Government can't work if society is all screwed up.

Fat29
07-22-2006, 01:43 AM
My take is society's interest must take precedence over those of the individual. However, it should not too over bearing that it overly stifles the individual's freedom and rights.

Well, I think it will be good if society is open and tolerant so that all with talents and abilities can flourish and make this place the safest and best home for growing children and family. Cheers.

Must the government protect the rights of the individual, or the society as a whole, possibly at the expense of individuals?

Are their natural rights? Such as life, freedom, pursuit of happiness?

Verbatim
09-10-2006, 04:45 PM
its a circle, ultimately, the people decide what government they want, and the government protects them, just as the people protect the government. but isnt a government a collection of people with the same ideas and ideals?

cuppajoe_9
09-18-2006, 07:48 PM
The role of government should be to solve the problem of poverty and then disappear. The role of the government is, in all its present forms, to prolong its own life as long as possible and at any expense.

The role of society, in this model, is to govern itself.

The most effective government is, if we are using the word 'effective' to mean 'efficient', the kind that governs best. If we are using the word 'govern' to mean organize people in a way that best serves the interest of the state, then benevolent totalitarianism would be the most effective type if there was any such thing.

My particular favorite form of government is the lack of any.

holograph
09-22-2006, 10:28 PM
I don't believe in an ideal government, or a governmnt at all. I refuse to be involved in it. I'd like to have a farming communist government where people trade happily and hold hands. haha. not really. i agree with joe.

PierreGringoire
09-22-2006, 11:00 PM
1. The role of the government is to keep the peace
2.The role of the society is to keep the peace unless something interferes with their basic liberty; freedom of thought that doesn't interfere with rule number one
3.What makes a form of government effective is one that respects the rights of the individuals in the society, and places reasonable punsihments to those who break the law.
4. The most effective form of government for the world now, is Democracy because it is the most prudent of governments

xyz789
09-24-2006, 05:55 AM
government should carry out people's decisions. it shouldn't work for their own aims but merely function as an elected group who represent the society they belong to. in order for this to work, society would need sufficient possibilities of participation.
as this isn't the case, i agree that there should be no government at all.

Eagleheart
11-08-2006, 09:55 AM
The role of the government is to assure that people would not wake up one day with the clear idea what their interests are , would not nurture any threatening hopes for a future, based on comradeship...or imagine society without a government/not entirely successful in this/....it regulates nothing better than its own popular image ....But with Orwell having spoken on the subject...I think I may resign...

ShoutGrace
11-08-2006, 10:09 AM
“The legitimate object of government it to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done, but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. In all that the people can individually do as well for themselves, government ought not to interfere.”

Abraham Lincoln

Eagleheart
11-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Aham, only that government assures people they can do individually almost nothing...

And can we call a society a body of people dependent on a medium for the interaction between themselves?

Maybe if we find out what people can do for themselves/now the government knows what people can do for themselves/ we can get back to the question...If not, it appears to be an attempt to show a different standpoint using the assumptions of the one you are disputing

I just thought Lincoln lacks precision on the matter/ for governmental reasons obviously/...

blacksheep
11-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Government represents the desires and opinions of the majority. Its responsibility is to the entire population, not to individuals.
the society's responsibility is to make sure that there is no corruption in the government - possibly through elections. there may be other ways.
The individual's responsiblility is to think for him/erself, make sure that his/er voice is heard, even though it might not be the voice of the majority, AND OBEY THE LAW.

both the individuals and the government has to base their views on reason and have their goal be the progress and happiness of as much of the human kind as possible. (meaning that if including minority views make no difference or very little difference to views of the majority, include them)

of course, I'm for communism. IDEAL communism, not corrupted.

actually, I like the idea of a completely democratic "anarchy" meaning that there is no elected officials and no people in offices period. every human has a vote. of course, nothing gets done in such systems but a lot of small scale club organizations are organized that way and its always fun bragging about the "democratic anarchy"

Eagleheart
11-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Well lets go further...Government preserves the partition between the individual and the society,as a premise for its own existence/ in reality the society is no phantom that should exonerate every misdeed against the individual "in the name of the commonwealth-because you see "self-sacrifice is the biggest virtue"/...and majority and minority are only notions employed to serve its perpetuation, after all a "community" would render a government purposeless/ not to say unimaginable/...and in future if you want some consideration for your mentioning the Ideal communism, better coin another name for it, excluding communism... because its uttering is already a lost cause...