PDA

View Full Version : Herman Melville quote

Norma
07-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. Can anyone tell me which of Herman Melville's works has the quote "all voyages are homeward bound"? You'd think it is Moby Dick... but where? Which chapter?

Logos
07-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Hello Norma :)

you can search by word(s) Melville's novels on site:

http://www.online-literature.com/melville/

At the bottom of chapter 115 it says this, not exactly the same wording as yours.

"Not enough to speak of- two islanders, that's all;- but come aboard, old hearty, come along. I'll soon take that black from your brow. Come along, will ye (merry's the play); a full ship and homeward-bound."

"How wondrous familiar is a fool!" muttered Ahab; then aloud, "Thou art a full ship and homeward bound, thou sayst; well, then, call me an empty ship, and outward-bound. So go thy ways, and I will mine. Forward there! Set all sail, and keep her to the wind!"

Norma
07-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks Logos. Well, you got further than I, finding only one reference. I had so hoped for an exact quote. Perhaps it doesn't exist in any of Melville's works. "All voyages are homeward bound. H. Melville" was on a piece of artwork and I wanted to learn more about the reference.

aeroport
02-05-2008, 02:53 AM
Sounds like something from White-Jacket. The book is a sort of narrative of the Man-of-War's return journey, and there is actually a chapter called "Homeward Bound", so this sounds like a reflection he might make. Can't remember, though.
(Not that you'll ever be back to read this. I hadn't actually read the book when this thread was started...)