PDA

View Full Version : The Diary of a Madman

stardust
07-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Well, i've watched it on stage...just one person was playin'...
it's about a poor and lonely madman ,his forces to face himself and the unreachable lady he's in love with.Sometimes humorous (referring a dog and it's tail etc. :p ), sometimes considerable, sometimes sad..on yhe other hand, i'd like to add that even the happy scenes makes us feel like we learn unavoidable-may be hard-realities...
why don't u experience this extremely impressive diary?? it's on the bookstore,in ur library or just written on the theatre ticket :cool: ..what are u waitin' for??? Learn it and share ur comments with us..

Idril
07-17-2006, 08:06 AM
it's about a poor and lonely madman ,his forces to face himself and the unreachable lady he's in love with.Sometimes humorous (referring a dog and it's tail etc. :p )...

I especially liked the part where he's convinced he's the King of Spain but assures people that there's no need to bow, that killed me. :lol:

It's also incredibly tragic and sad and definately worth a read. A lot of Gogol's short stories are kind of odd but this one and Taras Bulba are quite amazing.

eccehomo
09-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Hello everyone!...:D...Glad I've found this forum community...I was just wondering if anyone has an e-text of Gogol's Diary of a Madman..? I would appreciate it if you'd give me a url to the source site..Im having a hard time trying to find such beautiful work by Gogol..Thanks in advance, guys!

ShoutGrace
09-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Nice user name! :nod:

I can't at this moment direct you towards the url you've requested but I would like to welcome you to the forums. :D I hope you find what you're looking for. :thumbs_up

eccehomo
09-11-2006, 10:25 AM
:)...Thanks...I would really appreciate it...:D...I've gone to so many sites, I still haven't found such work (I found his other masterpieces, though: a blessing!).

And I just love the topics and threads in this forum community...Thanks to you guys!...:D

Logos
09-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Heh, yeah, if anyone can find a plain text public domain version of this story I would love to add it to the site, but I have yet to find it anywhere in English.

Inderjit Sanghe
01-25-2007, 09:42 AM
"Diary of a Madman" is indeed hilarious-my favourite part was when he recieves and analyses the letters from the "dog".

kiz_paws
08-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey, I have to smile. Didn't find (yet) a copy of the Etext of the short story of Diary of A Madman, but I DID find an interesting thing in the internet -- a reading of the story, in its completion.

Hope it is ok to provide all with this link, and if I find anything else, I'll let you know. Cheers and enjoy:

ENJOY (http://www.enivrez.com/bedtime/archives/2006/05/the_diary_of_a.html)

Now you can listen and just lay there and take it in. :)

zoomy
01-16-2009, 10:35 PM
I also saw Diary of a Madman as play at the Rosemary Branch Theatre in London. It was presented in a one man show format and I must say I was not over impressed with it - it lost much of the wonderful narrative of the book.

weltanschauung
01-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Heh, yeah, if anyone can find a plain text public domain version of this story I would love to add it to the site, but I have yet to find it anywhere in English.

isnt there a way to convert pdf type files into plain text ones?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6567975/The-Diary-of-a-Madman

bazarov
01-18-2009, 12:00 PM
isnt there a way to convert pdf type files into plain text ones?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6567975/The-Diary-of-a-Madman

That's not Gogol; that's Maupassant.

weltanschauung
01-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Post haste fail

timnehguy
12-14-2010, 07:35 PM
The text, translated as "Memoir of a Madman," not "Diary of a Madman," is available from Archive.org in an edition titled The mantle, and other stories in several formats -
http://www.archive.org/details/mantleotherstori00gogorich.

Kyriakos
12-15-2010, 07:25 AM
One of his best short stories :)

Personally i prefer the Overcoat and the Portrait though.

deliane
02-17-2011, 09:31 AM
warm THANK YOU to 'kiz_paws" - a few years late, it seems- for the link to the luxury of having the story read to me, in entirety! along with 'timnehguy's link, (thanks to you, too) I'm planning to enjoy--

frankie4110
08-30-2011, 10:40 PM
how does the woman in the story perceive him? how does he perceive the women?