PDA

View Full Version : What class?

lemon the kitty
07-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Sorry, this probably sounds like a really stupid and pointless question, but what class were Dorian and Lord Henry in? Was is the middle class or the upper class? Sounds irrelevant, but it's an important part of an essay I need to write and I can't seem to find any clue in the book itself. Either that or I'm just missing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

mono
07-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Hello, lemon the kitty, welcome to the forum. :)
In my opinion, I think both Dorian Gray and Lord Henry Wotton definitely belonged to the upper classes. Not many citizens earn the title of 'Lord' before their names (take the poet Lord George Gordon Byron, for example), immediately labeling Lord Henry has a true nobleman, regarded highly among others.
Dorian Gray mainly belongs in the upper class because of his immense wealth, considering he also has a servant and maid in his home. His attitude, too, has a bit of a typical wealthy, snob-like physiognomy - he treasures beauty, appearance, and maintains quite a superficial manner.
I hope I helped, and wish you luck! ;)

pixie
07-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Hello everybody!

May I add a question concerning this subject? I have been trying to find out something about the working life of the upper class. Did they have a profession?
In the book it's mentioned that Lord Henry, for example, studied in Oxford, but the reader doesn't learn anything else about this or about his everyday life.
Can anybody help me with this? Thanks in advance,

pixie

mono
07-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Hello everybody!

May I add a question concerning this subject? I have been trying to find out something about the working life of the upper class. Did they have a profession?
In the book it's mentioned that Lord Henry, for example, studied in Oxford, but the reader doesn't learn anything else about this or about his everyday life.
Can anybody help me with this? Thanks in advance,

pixie
Hello, pixie. You ask a very good question.
Though I do not come from England (or anywhere in the United Kingdom), if I remember my history correctly, most Lords participated particularly in politics, such as in the Cabinet; additionally, many Lords often owned great portions of land that they could sell or lease.
As for someone like Dorian Gray - well, he may seem more like someone one could consider a professional model, considering he also originated from a wealthy family in the novel. :lol:

Asa Adams
07-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Sorry, this probably sounds like a really stupid and pointless question, but what class were Dorian and Lord Henry in? Was is the middle class or the upper class? Sounds irrelevant, but it's an important part of an essay I need to write and I can't seem to find any clue in the book itself. Either that or I'm just missing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Dorian Grey always appeared at social gatherings, gallery parties, and outtings. In my opinion, based on his home in the story, he definetly was part of the upper class. I can't add anything on to what Mono said, since the "lord" title pretty much explains everything about Henry. Hope it helps you Lemon the kitty!

MissChuckleCat
09-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and hope I'm not too late to help out with the essays.

Okay, so I'm from the UK so might be able to help out a little. Dorian Gray and Lord henry are both members of the upper class. They do not have jobs as traditionally they will survive off money set aside for them from rich parents or some sort of relative. Have a look at the Jeeves and Wooster books about a fumbling upper class gent who gets up to mischieve which his butler has to rescue him from. It will give you a different perspective on the upper classes.

As someone else pointed out some of the upper class would be involved with politics, others sit around in "gentlemen's clubs" (sort of a reading / drinking club and place to get away from their wives) and talk about politics over a cigar and brandy.

I think the things that give away Dorian and Lord Henry's class (for me at least) are their pastimes. Dorian frequents the disreptuable parts of the city as are also discussed in the Sherlock Holmes novels and the Johnny Depp film about Jack the Ripper - Opium dens and the like. There are other hints to their class - clothing, servants, house descriptions etc.

Some of the upper classes would have course have had jobs (perhaps very well paid doctors, lawyers etc) but novels seem to be more interested in those that don't work and their antics - it can be more fun reading about people that party 24 / 7 than someone that goes to work. People reading the book go to work everyday so they want some escapism!

Anway, hope that helps.