PDA

View Full Version : anyone notice that apathy sometimes being shown to be noble is a big problem

smoothherb
07-13-2006, 05:02 PM
I have noticed over the last 3 or 4 years that when a fight or an agrument occurs the quote "I don't give a blank" is often used though not meant on most occasions I think that many would agree that a lot of the worlds problems can be traced to someone not caring about something.A lot of this most likely comes from people not understanding what certain people meant when saying it.For example if you look at tupacs career he was all about awareness and helping people but when you here him say things like "I don't give a blank" or "blank peace" it makes it seem noble to not care there are many examples of this in our society I have already wrote to much so. Does anyone have opinion on this or the fact that one of the biggest problems in the world is that people are apathic and don't empathize enough.

grace86
07-13-2006, 06:01 PM
From your examples, I do not think that it is apathy that is being expressed as it is a numbness. Words and phrases like that have gradually made it into our society as acceptable. People no longer attach such a severe meaning to the words. So when people like Tupac said something along those lines...it is like people become accustomed to it. I do not think that a giant dose of apathy has taken over....blank peace...so to say, we have just run the meaning of the words into the ground through repetition and lack of well...maybe a little bit of moral. But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

smoothherb
07-13-2006, 06:38 PM
I agree that apathy isn't being expressed thats what I meant is that it seems like it is to a lot of young people,I'm only out of high school a couple of years and from my experiance most people do not care about anything other than themselves.I don't mean to offensive but if you don't think there is not far to much apathy in our world your dreaming.

snowangel
07-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Are you making apathy your cause; your something outside yourself to care about?

grace86
07-13-2006, 06:51 PM
No offense taken....I was not trying to say that there is no apathy...there is plenty. I think I was just trying to explain part of it without using the term apathy...if that makes sense. A lot of young people are extremely uncaring and spit out those types of phrases, what I was trying to say though is that maybe it wasn't so much that they didn't care - but that it is through repetition and seeing people like Tupac use it so carelessly, the words never have much of an impact on them. They see these bigger figures using it and then they think "oh well Tupac is saying that, it must be cool to say" So these younger people use it without probably knowing the meaning behind such sayings. I was not saying there does not lie a strong presence of apathy in them, it is a sure thing that apathy plays a big part in our younger generation. But I was saying that maybe it is more ignorance, or moralistic.

But then, maybe it is apathy....they might not care to look into why Tupac is saying the things he did.

Hope I wasn't too long winded or confusing. Hope this clears up my meaning a little bit.

grace86
07-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Okay, it is apathy. It is in the younger generation, the parents (or maybe they are too busy) and in the people - like Tupac, exposing that kind of thing to society...haha now i am just accusing everyone. But I do believe you are right ryan.

smoothherb
07-13-2006, 06:57 PM
sorry I misunderstood you thanks for clearing it up.

grace86
07-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Anytime, sorry I was a bit confusing. But it is a very interesting topic.

Eagleheart
11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Apathy is a shallow attempt to show superiority /taking a position would mean vulnerability before disagreement/...and yes it is a problem for those still holding any illusions about the civilizational status of humans...or should I more appropriately speak of specimen...
And yes -The confidence of social parasites springs from this linguistic "Elation" -"I don't give a blank"..../any potential for discussion in it?/....

blacksheep
11-08-2006, 09:17 PM
apathy is either ignorance or truely not caring.

one usually forms an opinion after getting educated but at times, i really couldn't care less.

Eagleheart
11-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Forming an opinion can mean a good memory too

cuppajoe_9
11-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Lyrics frequently heard on the Top 40 radio station in my city:

me and all my friends
we're all misunderstood
they say we stand for nothing and
there's no way we ever could
now we see everything that's going wrong
with the world and those who lead it
we just feel like we don't have the means
to rise above and beat it

so we keep waiting
waiting on the world to change
we keep on waiting

it's hard to beat the system
when we're standing at a distance
so we keep waiting
now if we had the power
to bring our neighbors home from war
they would have never missed a Christmas
no more ribbons on their door
and when you trust your television
[ these lyrics found on completealbumlyrics.com ]
what you get is what you got
cause when they own the information, oh
they can bend it all they want

that's why we're waiting
we keep on waiting

it's not that we don't care,
we just know that the fight ain't fair
so we keep on waiting

and we're still waiting
we keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
one day our generation
is gonna rule the population
so we keep on waiting

we keep on waiting

It's getting bad, kids.

Eagleheart
11-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Cuppajoe_9,
I had no idea radio can serve any meaningful purpose, nice little place you have there...

/Seriously: now a rare form to express anything deep and lacking the vitality of "iconolatry"/ Britney,Britney...Oh Britney/ , it has the potential to reach a few hearts...I like it