PDA

View Full Version : Why do people find Poe's short stories so interesting?

Miru
07-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Hey all,

Could any1 help me with this question or give me urls which could help me to write an essay on this question "Why do people fid Poe's short stories so interesting? ^_^
Thank you all,

Miru.

mono
07-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Hello, Miru, welcome to the forum. :)
Your question seems to address a strong matter of opinion rather than fact. Many, many readers, indeed, love Poe's work (including myself), but I have met some people (very few) who cannot tolerate his short stories or poetry.
If you observe Poe's literature many aspects distinguish themselves much stronger than others; for example, Poe uses a great amount of thrilling, sometimes gruesome, and thought-provoking details. He seldom uses allusion as a literary device, making him slightly easier to understand than some authors of his time. Many readers consider Poe as the father of mystery and psychological-thriller literature (particularly with works like Murders In The Rue Morgue and The Facts In The Case of M. Valdemar), inspiring many authors who would follow in writing mystery and thriller (such as Agatha Christie).
These seem only a few reasons of why several people may feel so attracted to Poe's literature - his darkness, mystery, psychological-thriller, often depressing, diversity of plots (never monotonous), and his not-as-confusing language.

Miru
07-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Thank you so much mono ^^ you helped me heaps :P i hope i get more replys XDfrom other ppl too haha ^_^ and i agree :P Poe's stories are quite gruesome yet interesting O_o

John Bushdies
07-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Edgar Allen Poe was the first American writer to have complete insight into what Modernity actually means - which was THE "big question" American writers wrestled with throughout the 1840s and 1850s. (Basically it means that we're all nuts, but fortunately the occasional application of reasoning - and some strong drink - can help us communicate with one another - maybe.)

Poe_writer
07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Because of the mystery, of course! :)

inuzrule
08-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Poe's stories are intense and creepy at the same time. They make you question your own sanity (or lack thereof), and draw you in to the character. The stories are also violent most of the time, and violence is a big draw to a lot of people.

Benyameen
10-15-2007, 05:00 AM
I really like the language in Poe's poems. It is really nice to read them out loud like The Raven). I love the rhyme and the rythm, almost like a good rap:)

What I also love is the fact that the reader can feel Poe's depressions and grief over his beloved women. I think it is really touching in a way but the poems can also give you the creeps. I just love them!!

cracking muse
11-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Because they are amazing, of course. xD

lucybonett
08-06-2008, 08:04 PM
real question should be: why on earth would anyone find Poe's work uninteresting?

LC_Lancer
09-04-2008, 02:39 PM
I really like the language in Poe's poems. ...the reader can feel Poe's depressions and grief over his beloved women.

Here, Here! Also he shows us with precision the beauty in the woman he loves, and those words paint a picture so we can see what he saw.
Besides, the stories grab your attention and refuse to let go until its conclusion.

vonjuntz
10-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Before an age of quick info , serial killers names as cultural landmarks, where the farm or city block was one's world, I think he served a Jungian purpose. Like the fire was to Buck

Phangirl7
02-01-2009, 03:04 PM
I've read several of Poe's short stories, but the only 2 I can really remember reading are:
"The TellTale Heart" and "The Fall of the House of Usher," and I throughly enjoyed them both, especially TellTale Heart. That sent shivers up my spine!
P.G.7.

Ultimo
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Because people is lazy and don't like to follow too long stories.

Amylian
05-29-2009, 05:17 AM
Well, I'd say because rather than simply getting wrapped inside the mind of a "normal" protagonist, Poe's characters are always "mad" and "complex" in a way. heheh, not in a way,absolutely. The thing is that his characters do not consider themselves to be "mad" but they actually want to prove their "sanity", although we know they are totally "f*cked up". Admitting "guilt" is nothing for them; they will tell you the truth of their "sick" intentions, but also they will tell you how "great" and "good" they were when they did their deeds.

It is their rationality against irrational behaviors. Contradictions. See Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart.