PDA

View Full Version : The simple life

smoothherb
07-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Sometimes I wish I could just live a simple life nothing but blind faith and love I think this is a horrible thought anyone ever have a simalir reflection?

Stanislaw
07-06-2006, 02:57 AM
The simple life: quite possibly the worst show ever put on celluloid. :D

ahh, now that the obligitory bad joke be done...

there are many times I wish I could live a simple life...like being a borg on Star Trek...what is really so wrong with that?

Fat29
07-10-2006, 08:26 AM
I feel that the ability to live a simple life is a great blessing. Eat only to sustain the body and cloth myself only to maintain decency and to keep myself sufficiently warm. Life without contentions and without the need for more wants keep my character pure and my mind unselfish.

However, this is not an easy proposition because we have our unfulfilled obligations and duties.

Sometimes I wish I could just live a simple life nothing but blind faith and love I think this is a horrible thought anyone ever have a simalir reflection?

alshadai
07-10-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'simple life' but I will give my two cents with my own interpretation.

It would be so easy to give in, grow up, and have that white picket fence, two kids, and a husband who travels for work. I refuse to fall into this. It's so hard fighting it when everyone expects it of you. The simple life is just a mask for what you truly want. You would wake up one day and realise how much time you've wasted.

People ask me why I have my nose pierced, I tell them that it is just one more thing I have seperating me from falling into the simple life of a housewife. It would just be too easy to give up striving.

Wild Apple
07-11-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'simple life' but I will give my two cents with my own interpretation.

It would be so easy to give in, grow up, and have that white picket fence, two kids, and a husband who travels for work. I refuse to fall into this. It's so hard fighting it when everyone expects it of you. The simple life is just a mask for what you truly want. You would wake up one day and realise how much time you've wasted.

People ask me why I have my nose pierced, I tell them that it is just one more thing I have seperating me from falling into the simple life of a housewife. It would just be too easy to give up striving.

It sounds like you and Fat29 are writing about two differnet meanings of "simple." You are taking it to mean more of "the default life" or the boring, thoughtless routine of falling into one's place in the world. I agree with you, we should all resist such a thing. Fat29 is writng about a much more noble kind of simple. I won't repeat his good defenition, but I will say there are a lot more people in the former "simple" than there are in the latter.

smoothherb
07-11-2006, 03:23 PM
I know I didn't explain myself very well,I just meant living a life without questioning things and coming to your own conclusions A life following the path school systems,old fashioned parents and many other influences lay out for you.I started to wonder about this when I last heard Simple man by lynard skynard .

AimusSage
07-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd, Good band, some great songs, Free bird is my favourite, but to get to the topic. For me it seems both easy and difficult to follow a simply life. It's easy because it doesn't really place any expectations on you other then to get a job, marry and be happy, things anyone can achieve when they follow and stick to certain paths. Difficult because of those limitations, that is what I think they are. It's not in human nature not to question things. Personally I may question things a little too much, but all in all, why shouldn't I? Why marry, have children, grow old and die? Why not take a different road in life, just to see what it is like? Why go to university and learn a trade, Why not learn your own trade? Why learn a trade at all?

Those are just a few questions that pop in my mind, and that's only the start. It goes on and on. The questions never stop, and one way to ignore the questions is by a blind devotion to the illusion of the simple life. By devoting yourself entirely to your studies, and getting a girlfriend/marry etc.

If you are capable of such blind devotion, you are probably already doing it, but it's not as easy as it seems. and even the slightest crack in the foundation can bring everything down. And that is something that is quite common in modern society. It can results in stress, divorce and all kinds of other unpleasant things. That's not to say you don't have these things when you don't lead a simple life, but the origins tend to be different.

Anyway, I'm rambling and not in the mood to elaborate further. I might come back to it tomorrow, or later, and hopefully explain a little better.

TENNWH
07-12-2006, 05:50 AM
You need to realize that you’re more than your mind,thinking is just part of you. Examine your emotions.
Emotions is not just jumping away from a bear. It can be set off by the most sophisticated information processing the mind is capable of , such as reading a dear John letter are coming home to find a ambulance in the driveway. And the emotions help to connive intricate plots for escape, ambition and courtship. As S,Johnson wrote, "Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully."

The emotions are adaptations, will engineered modules that work in harmony with the intellect and are indispensable to the functioning of the whole mind. The problems with the emotions is not that they are untamed forces or vestiges of our animal past: it is that they were designed to propagate copies of the genes that build them rather than to promote happiness, wisdom, or moral values. We often call an act "emotional" when it is harmful to the social group, damaging to the actors happiness is in the long run, uncontrollable and impervious to persuasion, or a product of self delusion. Sad to say these outcomes are not malfunctioned but precisely what we would expect from well engineered emotions.

subterranean
07-12-2006, 08:16 PM

Say, what is a "complex" life in your definition? Questioning religions or divine beings, having love affairs with various different people?

smoothherb
07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't use complex but to answer your question,I don't really think that questioning religions or divine beings are the answer but I would say that it is a lot better to come to your own conclusions on anything to do with existence or religon though sometimes it just isn't possible.I came up through school and right up until grade 11 or 12 if there is a god or not wasn't a question is was a fact that there was. I stopped believing in god around the time I stopped believe in santa clause.I got a bit of track so i'll just say that I mean a life of your own not following your parents beliefs and living only to find stabilty mainly because a lot of people find it around the time there getting there old age pension so it's better to live to best way you can on your own terms.

ShoutGrace
07-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I don't really think that questioning religions or divine beings are the answer but I would say that it is a lot better to come to your own conclusions on anything to do with existence or religon though sometimes it just isn't possible.

Could you clarify the term 'your own conclusions'?

I stopped believing in god around the time I stopped believe in santa clause.

What a coincidence!!

I assume that must have been rather early on in life (for how long does the average person believe in Santa Claus?). Have you stood by the conviction formulated at that young age?

smoothherb
07-13-2006, 04:07 PM
by "coming to your own conclusions" I mean taking the information one gets about things like religon and finding out for yourself if there true or not, at the least forming your own opinion on them.Rather than swallowing things you are force fed at an early age and just believeing them without giveing it any thought.When it comes to my beliefs they have changed a great deal over the years but the main idea stays pretty close to the one I came to at an early age,the fact that I do not believe in the god from the bible though I don't doubt there was a jesus christ anyway another story.

ShoutGrace
07-13-2006, 04:16 PM
by "coming to your own conclusions" I mean taking the information one gets about things like religon and finding out for yourself if there true or not, at the least forming your own opinion on them.

I couldn't agree more. 'Finding out for yourself' is an admirable aim and it's importance cannot be overstressed as far as I'm concerned.

there are many times I wish I could live a simple life...like being a borg on Star Trek...what is really so wrong with that?

http://www.familyrightsassociation.com/educate/borg/queencps.gif

You probably wouldn't get many dates! Plus you have to take on domineering, conquestial qualities . . .

subterranean
07-13-2006, 07:48 PM
I stopped believing in god around the time I stopped believe in santa clause.

This is, I think, can be considered as being simple

I got a bit of track so i'll just say that I mean a life of your own not following your parents beliefs

And this one is less simpler

it's better to live to best way you can on your own terms.

And I think this one is not simple at all. These days, where everything seems to be publicly/socially standarized, (i.e. what underwear defines you as a macho man) it is very hard to live by your own terms.

smoothherb
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
subterranean how about explaining yourself a little bit, rather than pretending you have answers.

Union Jack
07-18-2006, 02:23 PM
And I think this one is not simple at all. These days, where everything seems to be publicly/socially standarized, (i.e. what underwear defines you as a macho man) it is very hard to live by your own terms.

"it is very hard to live by your own terms"

Perhaps, for some people. People that cannot live by their own standards, and who constantly crave reassurance from the comfort of the masses are weak-willed and insecure.

Frankly my dear, I don't quite give a beaverdamn what underwear defines me as "oozing with machismo." In fact I'm not sure I even see the need for machismo at all, I'm quite comfy in my panties thanks very much.

blazeofglory
05-10-2008, 11:58 AM

How can a man live a simple life? Simple means a state of mind that is simple. Not that you abandon a bungalow and live in a shaft still you are not simple unless you have a state or frame of mind that is simple enough.