PDA

View Full Version : trusting a pencil

smoothherb
07-05-2006, 11:06 PM
considering the amount of fools we all meet in everyday life can anyone say they can trust something written by a stranger and if not what about everything that has been passed down over the years before video was made available,does anyone agree that are world for the most part could be built on lies.

just a a thought anyone think it is worth exploring for a book?

Stanislaw
07-06-2006, 03:05 AM
Is our world built on lies...simple answer: yep, complex answer: @#$% yeah.

but, then again: everything is true from a certain point of view, so what really is a lie? What one person thinks is a lie is anothers undying truth. So the problem is not whether our society is built on right or wrong, but whether or not it is really worth digging to find the truth, sometimes ignorence is bliss...or so everyone would have us believe...believe me, we are lied to everyday, by almost every person, for some motive, I would love just once to meet someone who speaks only the truth, and has the ability to prove to me that they can speak only the truth...but don't believe me, I lie everyday like the rest of them, infact I am lieing right now...hmm.

well, I would encouraage you to write, thats a good thing, but becareful, text is just another media that allows a stranglehold of direction over people, or rather inderection.

Sessrin
07-06-2006, 03:15 AM
I figure your mostly right. Everyone basically lives on their interpretation of their surroundings.

grace86
07-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I agree as well. People have different interpretations of the truth of an experience based on how they remember it. Someone might remember a situation differently than someone else experiencing the same thing...both could relay the story differently, but according to them, in all honest truth.

Stan, yes we all lie at some point or another. But there are people who do mostly tell the truth. I use the word "mostly" very carefully though. But just as much as someone would like to meet a person who only tells the truth, there are people out there who would rather subconciously be lied to - but there might be a problem there...I am going to stop before I stop rambling.

My point is, I agree. :lol:

subterranean
07-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Well, I think the feeling of being bully by other is one of the reasons that makes us move forward. We like to question with the intention to prove or disprove something, and I think this process tend to lead us to find something bigger and perhaps, we will reach a certain stage where we find common understanding/intepretation about something.

RDraconis
07-21-2006, 06:29 PM
considering the amount of fools we all meet in everyday life can anyone say they can trust something written by a stranger and if not what about everything that has been passed down over the years before video was made available,does anyone agree that are world for the most part could be built on lies.

You're going to write a book... On why books can't be trusted... Ok.
And people assume if you know how to write well you must be smart. *shrugs* So, yeah, the world can be built on lies. Watch the Matrix- same basic idea. Might give you some suggestions on what to do for your book.

smoothherb
07-21-2006, 11:12 PM
I wasn't considering writing about how books can't be trusted.I was thinking more off a nonfictional story using a simialr principle.I have been throwing a lot of ideas out there to see if people find them interesting.

literaturerocks
07-22-2006, 01:13 PM
i think this would be an interesting book but as dostoevsky said (or rather father zosima) in the brothers karamazov: one who lies to others finds that he thinks everyone around him is lying and decieving. (that is not even close to what he said but you get the basic idea out of that)

mono
07-22-2006, 10:28 PM

In real life, I have no doubt I would have highly disliked certain authors, though I have loved their literature (Ernest Hemingway comes to my mind swiftly).
As with any art, a reader of a book cannot perceive it in the same way as the author saw it, nor even the precise way that the author intended - if so, then there would seem no purpose of discussion over a book, as everyone would agree on the same interpretations. Interpretations, however, seem what differs between each reader; with every dissection of art one encounters (not only in literature), one interprets it with his/her unique, individual cognition, personality traits, etc.
I do not think the interpretation of literature entirely relies on 'trusting' the author; the author may have intended something vastly different than how a reader interprets, but the literature merely represents a gem desired to share with others, so others may, too, personalize the gem (as cliché as that sounds :p).
Going on a bit of a tangent, Finnegans Wake by James Joyce specifically comes to mind - by far, the most challenging . . . 'novel' I have ever read. This book, nonetheless, best demonstrated the subjectivity and uniquity of interpretations of literature. No, I definitely did not trust James Joyce enough to claim that I understood Finnegans Wake, but I only understood and personalized what little seemed comprehensible, according to my cognition and personality.