PDA

View Full Version : calculus question

fayefaye
11-28-2003, 01:03 AM
A particle P takes travels in a straight line with a constant speed 5m/s. A second partice Q takes of from a fixed point O 10secs after P passes O. if Q takes off with a speed of 10m/s and acceleration a m/s a=-2+.2t (t>or equal to10secs) for the next ten seconds and travels with a constant speed thereafter find the time taken for Q to intercept P.

does anyone know how to do this?

fayefaye
11-28-2003, 01:05 AM
ok, if not that question how bout this one:
there is a sphere, centre (0,10,0) (r=square root of 18) and a line passing through (2,-3,-5) and parallel to (1,-2,3) what is the closest the sphere comes to the line? or, what is the point of contact?

fayefaye
11-28-2003, 09:00 PM
oh what so no-one here does calc? *whiney voice* commme onn.
they're exam questions i couldn't do. (SIGHHHH) now i'd like to know how i'm supposed to have been able to do them/done them.

Koa
11-29-2003, 10:15 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :( :( :( It's the kind of thing I can't even read. I used to try and force myself when I had to at school, but since the day I set mysefl free from that torture, I never ever want to have to do with things like this anymore...!

Stanislaw
11-29-2003, 09:55 PM
I get a special calc course next symmester. Looks like it will be fun. *heavey sarcasm*:rolleyes:

I can't be of much help, sorry.

fayefaye
11-29-2003, 10:18 PM
ahhh well. *sighhhh* *cringe* that exam was baahhhhd.

imthefoolonthehill
11-29-2003, 10:25 PM
sorry FayeFaye... I am in PeCal right now. ... ask me again next year.

fayefaye
11-29-2003, 10:33 PM
What's PeCal? Next year... But like- if I don't know this stuff by next year I'm at least mildly screwed. never mind... I'll have my marks in two weeks anyway. :( :( That's not good. anyone else? little help?

Oh, maybe some people can relate to how stupid this is: I got so stressed and freaked out during the exam that in the second question I posted up I used dot product to calculate closest approach. *hits self on forehead* (dot product in 3D gives a plane and not a solution, so my answer would've been an infinate number of points satisfying the equation, but so far off from the actual answer it's not even funny)

Stanislaw
11-29-2003, 10:35 PM
I ahve done similar things in physics. Then I look at the answer, after the test is marked, and wish I had double jointed legs so I could kick myself.

imthefoolonthehill
11-29-2003, 10:41 PM
preCal... pre-calculus... the class you take your junior year in high school if you want to take calculus your senior year...

and Stanislaw... you don't need double jointed legs to kick yourself.... try stretching.

fayefaye
11-29-2003, 10:56 PM
lol. wait so what grade are you in? (unfamiliar with what senior and junior years means 'cause that's American lingo)

imthefoolonthehill
11-29-2003, 10:58 PM
oh... high school consists of the last four years of a 12 year education (not counting kindergarden or preschool).

Freshman is the first year of high-school... or 9th grade.

Sophomore is next (2nd of h. s. and 10th overall)

Junior is after that. (3rd of h. s.) and 11th overall

Senior is last... (4th year of high school and 12 overall)

imthefoolonthehill
11-29-2003, 10:59 PM
and actually... the terms freshman, sophomore, JUNIOR sophomore and SENIOR sophomore originated at oxford.

fayefaye
11-29-2003, 11:07 PM
*blushing emoticon* ok, but when I lived in England I never heard those terms.

Stanislaw
12-01-2003, 09:26 PM
and Stanislaw... you don't need double jointed legs to kick yourself.... try stretching.

eisily said...hard to do.

imthefoolonthehill
12-02-2003, 02:48 AM
is it eisily said? eisily... eisily isn't eisily said...

and FayeFaye... just because they originated in England doesn't mean they were popular over there.... I'm sorry that I implied that.