PDA

View Full Version : success in life

apple jiang
07-01-2006, 02:47 AM
I'm always searching in my life ,at least till now .But I get confused at a time about what I am looking for.Apparently I don't have a clear and steady goal in mind ,or I have too many goals so that I can't concentrate myself.Sometimes success seems far away from me,so many things I have done didn't quite satisfy me.So I'm wondering ,what is the definition of success?What kind of person can be called "success"?

Shakira
07-01-2006, 08:43 AM
For me success would be being satisfied with what I'm doing. Leading a contended & peaceful life is what I would define real success as.

caesar
07-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Take my advice - never say I'm satisfied.

sHaRp12
07-01-2006, 04:16 PM
I suppose It depends what Kinda person you are. If youre the kind of person that's never satisfied and always wants more and more I suppose being succesful would be making lots of money, living in a big house and driving fast cars.

But some people define success as living a stable peaceful life close to their loved ones all while raising kids and holding a steady job.

But as I said some people Aren't satisfied with that. They need more than that.

caesar
07-03-2006, 11:08 AM
If youre the kind of person that's never satisfied and always wants more and more I suppose being succesful would be making lots of money, living in a big house and driving fast cars.

Making money is just one of the things. What I meant was that never be satisfied with what you have achieved. Some people loose the zest for advancement once they attain stability in life and settle for a contented life from where there will be no further progress.

amanda_isabel
07-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Some people loose the zest for advancement once they attain stability in life and settle for a contented life from where there will be no further progress.

caesar,

life always progresses, even when living a contented life.

anyway,

'success is getting what you want, but liking it while you are getting it is happiness.' ( i read this in 'O, the Oprah Winfrey Magazine', and on which issue i forgot. is it attributed to anyone?)
in my opinion though success isn't success if you aren't happy. i guess the two come hand-in-hand.

caesar
07-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Point well taken.

apple jiang
07-03-2006, 11:28 PM
well ,sometimes I think if one can have kinship ,friendship and love semultaneously and keep them for life ,then he is a success.

Sabo
07-04-2006, 06:57 PM
That's a beautiful idea, apple jiang.

I would agree with sHaRp12 that it depends a lot on what kind of person you are. What makes one person happy, might suffocate someone else, and vice versa.

I think one should be true to one self. Once you get to know yourself, and get to know what makes you happy, what is important to YOU, what you are good at and so on, you will be of more joy to both your self and others.

Success has many faces, I would say. Only one self knows what it looks like.

byquist
07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
As long as you are searching and seeking, which you obviously are, that mindset keeps life revealing unexpected and unanticipated experiences, -- even better than we might not currently define for ourselves. As long as you are open to the "new," have some measure of fortitude, and are reasonably kind to others, beneficent events will appear, sometimes out of nowhere if you are persistent and patient. Life has a way of taking care of its own, which you are.

One writer clarifies, "Success in life depends upon persistent effort, upon the improvement of moments more than upon any other one thing. A great amount of time is consumed in talking nothing, doing nothing, and indecision as to what one should do. If one would be successful in the future, let him [or her] make the most of the present." Eugene O'Neil, in the play "The Iceman Commeth" talks about "pipe dreams" as the thing that we have a habit of falling into, and that we ought to avoid lest we become paralized and can't accomplish anything.

Also, go rent the "Pink Panther" movie where Inspector Dryfus, at the beginning of the movie, has presumably been cured of his hatred of Cluseau. He keeps repeating that German phrase that somebody coined as a cure for pessimism, "Every day in every way, it's getting better and better." When confusion tempts you, and it tempts everyone, say that phrase a few times and see what happens.

It's "The Pink Panther Strikes Again" -- 1976

Apparently, it is a French psychiatric phrase by a guy named Emile Coue. Look him up at "wikipedia.com" and the saying has a little different wording. Remember, its sortof a game to take serious only up to a point, as proven by Dryfus in the movie.

Fat29
07-09-2006, 11:18 AM
For me, success in life means I am able to live a life like an open book where there is nothing that I need to hide, there is no thoughts that I need to keep to myself and I have the freedom to speak my mind and all my work and effort is channelled into making the lives of others better.

To do this, I have to live a life of truth, integrity and service. This is something I found very hard to do and even harder to achieve. I have achieved very little of what I want to do and during this journey, I am thankful that my friends and critics have helped me, and in most cases, save me from being self centred, that is ocassionally more concern about my own well-being and convenience than the interests of others.

There is a long way to go before I could achieve success. It is so far because I have not had good control over my thoughts and actions. Once I am able to transform my mind and had the ability and discipline over it, I am sure I will be moving faster and more closely to reach success.

Hope that all will find wholesome success(es) in life.

mono
07-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Interesting question, apple jiang, but, as with most things, I think of the idea of success as entirely individualized. One could certainly consider Donald Trump an immense success in his career - not only because everyone notices his wealth, public spot-light, television show, etc., but also because he visualizes himself as successful. Though others may not notice nor agree, a homeless man, begging spare change every day for food, could consider himself just as successful; I doubt if very many people would desire this life of homelessness, but, so long as the man perceived himself as successful (for getting food or shelter for a night, for example), he seems to have as much success as Donald Trump.
In terms of self-confidence, self-esteem, an outlook on the future, and attaining the closest thing to ideal happiness, success appears as quite a necessity. As long as a person does something with his/her life, one would hope that the individual progresses somehow through such diligence; I have seen some horrible cases, but the failure of success, which, no doubt, we have all felt during one time, at least, feels terrible.

subterranean
07-12-2006, 08:28 PM
What kind of person can be called "success"?

Read your signature. I think that's one of good definitions of success

squire nick
07-12-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm always searching in my life ,at least till now .But I get confused at a time about what I am looking for.Apparently I don't have a clear and steady goal in mind ,or I have too many goals so that I can't concentrate myself.Sometimes success seems far away from me,so many things I have done didn't quite satisfy me.So I'm wondering ,what is the definition of success?What kind of person can be called "success"?

I think you answer your own question. Success can only be defined as fulfilling your goals. If you have no goals, it follows that you will never succeed.

blazeofglory
05-10-2008, 12:02 PM

Success and sacrifice go together or at least cohabit. Unless you do not sacrifice something you can not get it.

CognitiveArtist
05-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Success is a funny word to describe what people should aim for. Looking up my dictionary I find the definitions
noun 1 the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. 2 the attainment of fame, wealth, or social status. 3 a person or thing that achieves success.
- origin Latin sucessus, from succedere 'come close after'.

This idea of progress, or getting head I don't find itself being a good aim. Personally Meaning is what I search for (of course what's meaningful deserves a lot more philosophy :)). Someone may fail to pass a test or assessment, or there may be errors in a friendship but I wouldn't say any of these would be complete, definite failures or messups. When I play chess for example I can be beaten in a special and specific way which I appreciate and find meaningful, as I could be alerted to an interesting previously unknown part of the game, or it could be the more regular experience of learning and perfecting from failure or error.
Success is too close to "gain", which is what people do whenever they purchase something. I'm far from being antimaterialist but I find it genuinely mistaken to think that by obtaining some good or service a person can so simply summon or find meaning.

Hope my comments prove interesting

blazeofglory
05-13-2008, 08:35 PM

Success is never achieved without giving up something in life. You need to give up many other things to concentrate on one thing. If we want to do better at studies we need to imprison ourselves in a room and to distance us from enjoying day to day things, and if you want to be stressful in your careers, work more and more isolating yourselves from the rest of things and then only you become successful.

wilbur lim
09-24-2008, 10:47 AM

Success is a nirvana indeed,everyone wants it so they can be a luminary or opulent.Success is intricate to attain since you are young,but it is never too late to feel grieve of a debacle.I am stupid as I am not significant in Maths,I feel apoplectic,but I will endeavour my optimal character into studying,and I believe I CAN BE a philosopher.

novlist*star*
09-27-2008, 07:30 PM
If you want to be a successful person and life, you should follow some rules. I have said ROULES, because there is no thing in the life comes without effort.

1- You must have a true faith in God.

2- You must believe not only believe but also convince yourself in your abilities. You have a lot abilities but when you always say "I am not successful man; you will make yourselfer fell in disappointment.

3- You should arrange your time according your goals. It makes fell in comfortable.

4-If you do anything related to your goals; you should consider that is achievement. I mean do not say "I am not satisfy". in my religion, there is saying" The satisfaction is endless treasure"

5- You must have a strong desire and will to be SUCCESSFUL PERSON.

Finally, I hope you become successful person soon,,:)

blazeofglory
09-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Dear apple, success is something abstract and there are no physical dimensions it can be likened to. Success is a state of mind. Maybe having certain achievements give you the feel of success, maybe a good job with a very high rank, or regular rewards, upgrades or promotions or incentives. But still success to me is different from all these attributes.

Life needs everything and yet everything is not life, and of course things you achieve in life must not be onerous to you. I mean at times if you are too much infatuated with worldly things they become burdensome to you and you will carry the burden of things in the name of success.

Close your eyes and think deeply success is a very subtle thing.

Faiorella
09-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Hmm. For me success is correlated with happiness.

muazjalil
09-28-2008, 04:37 AM
Let me be the devil's advocate here, so far most people have suggested that success is an individual thing and i can understand the rationale but what if success is purely a social concept. Its the society that defines success. Since we are a product of society, if society values materialism then we will internalize that value and will consider ourselves successful only if we have enough material wealth, where as an ancient greek probably acquiring mastery in rhetoric or philosophy was probably considered "Success"!

princesspoppi
09-28-2008, 05:24 AM
To me a successful person is one who needs not strive for more