PDA

View Full Version : Jekyll And Hyde - Coursework (HELP!)

much_loveage
06-27-2006, 04:31 AM
I need help for my English coursework. I need to discuss the use of symbols and the ideas and themes they represent. Mainly the door, the weather and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Anyone any ideas?[SIZE=2][COLOR=Magenta]

*Jessie*
06-27-2006, 10:18 AM
hey im doing jekyll and hyde coursework too! (so fun),

for themes and symbolic ideas there are alot of examples of Jekyll and Hyde. First the house and laboratory show Jekyll and Hyde- the House has a welcoming air to it, whilst the Lab is thrust out odly onto a street of the total opposite. The house and the cabinet represent J + H too. the cabinet is the darker part of Jekyll that is Hyde.

The weather sets the mood alot of the time- when Hyde becomes a murderer, the moon is out along with clouds and mist- the steriotypical horror setting for disaster. The continuouse mist throughout the book shows the clouded mystery that will at the end beome clear.

The words used to describe Hyde represent his animalistic nature (there are alot of quotes available for this). These similarities he shares with animals show his raw and savage behaviour.

Also the theme of masking shows us how Jekyll from the start is sly, and hiding something: "smoothed-faced man of fifty, with something of a slyish cast". Masking is a theme continuously used throughout.

There are just a few things for u to use! ;) hope it helps!! :D good luck with your coursework!