PDA

View Full Version : How fast is fast enough?

ClaesGefvenberg
06-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Ok... Who will be first to provide me with a correct answer to this one?

Imagine yourself driving your nippy sports car to work an early december morning... After getting stuck behind a slow lorry for several minutes, you reach your destination with screeching tires, barely in time. You note the average speed for the journey. A smug coworker notices this and asks you what average speed you would need to manage on your way back home, in order to double the average speed for the total journey (Home - Work - Home)?

Over to you... :D

/Claes

Virgil
06-23-2006, 07:44 PM
I think you have to go three times the speed that it took to et to work. I think. ;)

ClaesGefvenberg
06-23-2006, 07:46 PM
I think you have to go three times the speed that it took to et to work. I think. ;)Nope.... Try again :D

/Claes

ClaesGefvenberg
06-24-2006, 02:20 PM
What??? Still no correct answer? :eek:

/Claes

amanda_isabel
06-25-2006, 12:42 PM
claes,

give us an answer!

:)

ClaesGefvenberg
06-25-2006, 01:18 PM
claes,

give us an answer!

:)Well, maybe I should... Nah... Not yet :D . All the data you need to solve it is there already, but I'll give you three hints :cool: :

1: Use an example...
2: You will have to be fast...
3: Do not get your averages mixed up...

Have fun...

/Claes

AimusSage
06-25-2006, 01:32 PM
infinite speed I recon. Let's say it's 100 Km to work, and the guy avarages 50 Km/h to work, if he is to double the average to 100 KM he will have to do the total home-work-home distance in two hours. which would mean he has zero time left to get from work to home.

ClaesGefvenberg
06-25-2006, 01:53 PM
infinite speed I recon.That is entirely correct. We have a winner :thumbs_up . As the alotted time has already been used up, even a fighter jet in full afterburner would not make it.

/Claes