PDA

View Full Version : Everlasting story...

den
11-21-2003, 12:22 AM
Ok, here's another quick easy brainless way to waste lots of time here. :p How it goes is, I post a sentence, then the next poster makes up the next sentence to continue our `story'.

Clarrisse was in love and was just about to board the plane.

den
11-21-2003, 12:31 AM
The private Lockheed jet was heading southeast.

Stanislaw
11-21-2003, 12:37 AM
They were nearly across the baltic ocean when the engine started to sputter.

den
11-21-2003, 12:42 AM
Her Latvian blood stayed cool as she knew she had packed her parachute perfectly.

Stanislaw
11-21-2003, 12:48 AM
However she did not fully trust the Polish co-pilot.

lazy cat
11-21-2003, 07:13 AM
She took a deep breath and thought about the one she loved.

Blade
11-21-2003, 08:45 AM
and suddenly she was at peace with the world

sloegin
11-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Until, her celluliod iliac broke.

Demona
11-26-2003, 05:20 PM
*offtop*
excuse me, but what on earth is baltic ocean?! :eek:

den
11-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Uh, the Baltic Sea is in northeastern Europe, surrounded by Scandinavia, Germany, Poland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania. !!!

Jay
11-27-2003, 09:28 AM
*I think Demona meant the OCEAN part... Baltic Ocean is nonexistent, it's a SEA.*

den
11-27-2003, 10:19 AM
The use of either `sea' or ocean is fine. Look it up in the dictionary, as well as reference to Baltic Sea AND Ocean all over the place.

This is like making fun of people who try to participate in these forums and english isn't their first language, or they have dyslexia or vision problems, and people make fun of their spelling and grammar. :mad:

Edited to add:

8 entries found for sea.

1. The continuous body of salt water covering most of the earth's surface, especially this body regarded as a geophysical entity distinct from earth and sky.

2. Abbr. S.
1. A tract of water within an ocean.
2. A relatively large body of salt water completely or partially enclosed by land.
3. A relatively large landlocked body of fresh water.

1. The condition of the ocean's surface with regard to its course, flow, swell, or turbulence: a rising sea; choppy seas.
2. A wave or swell, especially a large one: a 40-foot sea that broke over the stern.
4. Something that suggests the ocean in its overwhelming sweep or vastness: a sea of controversy.
5. Seafaring as a way of life.
6. Astronomy. A lunar mare.

Idiom:
at sea

1. On the sea, especially on a sea voyage.
2. In a state of confusion or perplexity; at a loss.

Jay
11-27-2003, 10:22 AM
*shuts up, apologises*

Demona
11-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by den
Uh, the Baltic Sea is in northeastern Europe, surrounded by Scandinavia, Germany, Poland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania. !!!

thank you. i`m quite aware of that...

Jay has already pointed out my problem: why is it an OCEAN all of a sudden? if you mean that it is acceptable in the US - please point it out.
unfortunately, i did not find any kind of proof that "ocean" can actually sustitute "sea".

Koa
11-27-2003, 03:42 PM
I thought it was a 'poetic licence'....

den
11-27-2003, 04:30 PM
If you're having a problem understanding the concept, google the term and figure it out. Or see above dictionary information that I already posted.

I am not purporting that this is `acceptible' in any one specific country, just going by multiple websites I got information from.

This is a literature forum, and what I was starting out to do, create a multi-poster fictional story, has been successfully hi-jacked by you. Have a great day! :D

Originally posted by Demona
thank you. i`m quite aware of that...

Jay has already pointed out my problem: why is it an OCEAN all of a sudden? if you mean that it is acceptable in the US - please point it out.
unfortunately, i did not find any kind of proof that "ocean" can actually sustitute "sea".

nicholasburrus
11-28-2003, 12:33 AM
What about the story

den
11-28-2003, 05:27 AM
I give up :(

nicholasburrus
11-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Good idea too munch comotion

Jay
11-28-2003, 01:48 PM
Well, maybe you'd soon find another way "to make fun" of not native speakers. If the intention was to do a story, why not continuing? It was nice. And if the intention was to make fun of not navive speakeers, I of course had to fall for it. Well, I always do. I really do hope the purpose wasn't the latter one. But I agree, next time before I say something, I'm gonna consult a dictationary. Don't want you guys agruing over me (or other members for the matter) for not being a native speaker. And yes, I do am aware I make grammar mistakes, but at this point, really don't care.

den
11-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Good Jay ;) I'm glad you don't care if you make mistakes or not, spelling or grammatical! ha! you should see my typing skills when I'm chatting with someone... I just get really tired of this being an issue when people are posting their thoughts online. There are a lot of people here who use english as second language, and I'm so happy that they feel comfortable to communicate. This forum has a great appeal because of all the people here from all over the world.

I don't think Stan deliberately was trying to cause a commotion here. :p I learned something new, that sea and ocean are used at times interchangeably. And in artistic or poetic licence I think it's ok to do this too.

I totally understand where Demona was coming from, she asked a ligit question, fair enough.

Hey but things get hijacked, part of the human nature of these boards, so, maybe someone will start a new thread. I know, I'm a *****, I'll go pout now. :p

Demona
11-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by den
If you're having a problem understanding the concept, google the term and figure it out. Or see above dictionary information that I already posted.

I am not purporting that this is `acceptible' in any one specific country, just going by multiple websites I got information from.

Been there done that....but perhaps I have missed something!
Google it! Sounds like a good idea! Why dont you do it and point out at least 5 cases when the Baltic Sea is actually referred to as "ocean", and I mean the geographical spot not somekind of a union or whatnot just called that way.
So much for being a native speaker...or a well-read person...

This is a literature forum, and what I was starting out to do, create a multi-poster fictional story, has been successfully hi-jacked by you. Have a great day! :D

Awww....I`m sorry I didn't know you're that vulnerable. On the other hand, now you have a perfect opportunity to start a new thread with the same story idea and "earn" more posts. =]

Jay
11-28-2003, 03:08 PM
You're npt a *****, me kinda npt in the mood, Sorry, have to go.

Stanislaw
11-28-2003, 03:17 PM
What happened to the story, or is the main character perpetually put on hold.

den
11-28-2003, 03:24 PM
I think Clarrisse crashed and burned in the Baltic Ocean. :D
Hmm..... but did the studly young polish co-pilot, Rufas, survive?

Stanislaw
11-28-2003, 03:26 PM
He jumped at the last moment and rescued clarrisse. They washed up on a small island...

Perhaps this is the new beginging.

den
11-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Well actually there are more than 5 cases where `Baltic Ocean' is used... but I'm concentrating on history right now not geography. ;)

Threads on forums get `hijacked' all the time, I don't take it personally, and I'm glad some others around here don't take it personally either. I'll stop sticking up for Stan as he's perfectly capable of it on his own.

<bows out>

Originally posted by Demona
Been there done that....but perhaps I have missed something!
Google it! Sounds like a good idea! Why dont you do it and point out at least 5 cases when the Baltic Sea is actually referred to as "ocean", and I mean the geographical spot not somekind of a union or whatnot just called that way.
So much for being a native speaker...or a well-read person...

[B]

Awww....I`m sorry I didn't know you're that vulnerable. On the other hand, now you have a perfect opportunity to start a new thread with the same story idea and "earn" more posts. =]

Stanislaw
11-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Bring it on all.

imthefoolonthehill
12-02-2003, 02:51 AM
Starting over....

The rain soothed my aching soul and soaked my wounded mind.

Jay
12-02-2003, 01:07 PM
The sound of thunder always calmed me, no matter how upset I was.

imthefoolonthehill
12-02-2003, 05:07 PM
The painful echoes of destruction lingered behind me.

Stanislaw
12-02-2003, 10:48 PM
The respite of the future, down the road.

imthefoolonthehill
12-03-2003, 12:47 AM
The sweet taste of victory was raging against the bitter bile of death.

sloegin
12-03-2003, 06:14 AM
And the turtle raped the hare, singing 'London Bridges Falling Down'.

Stanislaw
12-03-2003, 10:35 PM
*Don't know what to say*

imthefoolonthehill
12-04-2003, 12:51 AM
I do... I hate people... THey all suck... SOMEONE had to ruin our story... BASTARDS ALL OF THEM

sloegin
12-04-2003, 04:30 AM
Are you referring to me?

Jay
12-04-2003, 02:23 PM
guess Fool does Sloegin...

*hugs Fool* - try to pretend you didn't see the (I've to agree) stupid line and go on PLEASE...

cont.
All the warriors who survived were on their way home.

*hopes Fool or Stan (or anyone, even Sloegin if he leaves his ehm, childish ideas for other threads) could somehow follow*

imthefoolonthehill
12-04-2003, 11:13 PM
Well, sloegin, if you are "all of them" then, yes, I am reffering to you.

Thanks for the hug, Jay...

Our emotions drained, our friends dead, and the territory won, we headed back to our cottages and farms.

Stanislaw
12-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Carying the heavy burden of the dead on our backs.

imthefoolonthehill
12-06-2003, 04:53 PM
"Carrying the heavy burden of the dead on our backs", we return to our families with a weighty burden on our minds.

Stanislaw
12-07-2003, 01:28 AM
A dove flies over head.

imthefoolonthehill
12-07-2003, 04:52 AM
"A dove flies overhead", its wing badly mangled and smeared with blood.

Jay
12-09-2003, 11:28 AM
" "A dove flies overhead", its wing badly mangled and smeared with blood "of the men that will never be able to return home with us anymore.

*most welcome, Fool*

eh, sorry, always had a weakness for long sentences :o

Stanislaw
12-09-2003, 10:43 PM
And those who never were ment to be.

imthefoolonthehill
12-10-2003, 01:29 AM
*abandons the idea of writing a story with people who can't even write complete sentences*

den
12-10-2003, 03:14 AM
<rolling eyes and biting tongue> :p

fayefaye
12-10-2003, 08:32 AM
*can't be bothered reading whole thread*
cont...
A dove flies overhead, it's wing badly bleeding and mangled, a reminder of the death and pain inflicted by the loss of peace.

fayefaye
12-10-2003, 08:34 AM
*not 100% sure what's going on*

Comforting those who are dying, watching them slowly dying and left utterly helpless. Wish I'd paid attention during First Aid classes.

Stanislaw
12-10-2003, 10:45 PM
But most of my attention was directed to the beutifle red head three chairs back.

Jay
12-11-2003, 01:27 PM
ok, confused again...

I'm sorry Fool. (?)

Stanislaw
12-12-2003, 12:41 AM
I think we fell off the storey again, sorry fool for my bad grammer.
Anyone think this is kinda sinking,

Azoic
12-12-2003, 03:06 AM
agrees with stan, and quickly runs to signal an SOS, while the others prepare the life boats.

Jay
12-12-2003, 06:30 AM
ok, going to try and make a sentence (or two) out of the stuff written earlier... :o kinda ignoring Faye's first post, kinda... and maybe got what Fool meant... Stan, Fool uses to "complete" your sentences... maybe that was it Fool?... ok, got another idea... watch ;):

The rain soothed my aching soul and soaked my wounded mind. The sound of thunder always calmed me, no matter how upset I was. The painful echoes of destruction lingered behind me. The respite of the future, down the road. The sweet taste of victory was raging against the bitter bile of death. All the warriors who survived were on their way home. Our emotions drained, our friends dead, and the territory won, we headed back to our cottages and farms. Carrying the heavy burden of the dead on our backs, we return to our families with a weighty burden on our minds. A dove flies overhead, its wing badly mangled - a reminder of the death and pain inflicted by the loss of peace - and smeared with blood of the men that will never be able to return home with us anymore and of those who were never meant to be (able to write complete sentences ;)). Comforting those who are dying, watching them slowly dying and left utterly helpless, I wish I'd paid attention during First Aid classes.

I didn't include Sloegin's line, if you want it in, just add it, I can't make myself. So, wanna continue??? Please, do, I like the story still. Den, that includes you as well, no giggling, write ;).

And if anyone wants to kill me, join the line, you might be just the next...

IWilKikU
12-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Uhh... Sorry to nitpick again, but why would the dove's mangled wing be smeared with blook of the men that will never be able t oreturn home...? And if it's wing is mangled, how is it flying? And what about Stan's line? I thought that was the best one so far. The one about the redhead? Killer Stan, just killer!

Jay
12-13-2003, 10:33 AM
??? redhead? I missed something? And Kik, use some fantasy lad, enjoy, join ;)... whatever...

going to annoy you a little more dear Kik, just posted my 600th post ;) right now, right here

IWilKikU
12-13-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Stanislaw
But most of my attention was directed to the beutifle red head three chairs back.

Jay
12-13-2003, 10:28 PM
oh, thanks, and sorry, gotta look for it...

found it... so if you all gonna excuse my dullness, once again...

The rain soothed my aching soul and soaked my wounded mind. The sound of thunder always calmed me, no matter how upset I was. The painful echoes of destruction lingered behind me. The respite of the future, down the road. The sweet taste of victory was raging against the bitter bile of death. All the warriors who survived were on their way home. Our emotions drained, our friends dead, and the territory won, we headed back to our cottages and farms. Carrying the heavy burden of the dead on our backs, we return to our families with a weighty burden on our minds. A dove flies overhead, its wing badly mangled - a reminder of the death and pain inflicted by the loss of peace - and smeared with blood of the men that will never be able to return home with us anymore and of those who were never meant to be (able to write complete sentences ). Comforting those who are dying, watching them slowly dying and left utterly helpless, I wish I'd paid attention during First Aid classes. But most of my attention was directed to the beutifle red head three chairs back.

ok, can do Kik? ;) really, thanks, I DIDN'T notice...

IWilKikU
12-14-2003, 08:03 AM
that's what I'm here for ;)

Jay
12-14-2003, 08:39 AM
Always could use someone to KIK me in the right directions ;)

azmuse
12-14-2003, 03:16 PM
Exhausted by the march, the lack of food and water, and with the pungent smell of death in my nostrils, i dreamt of twining my fingers through the redhead's locks. The mangled dove sang to me while the butterflies played holy instruments. I struggled to wake up, wondering if i had succumbed to death as well, and startled, found myself on the ground. I must have fallen. i had been left for dead, along with the body i had piggybacked for over 10 miles (x kilometers, take your pick). Horrified, i picked him up and tried to run, still half-asleep, my boots squelching in the gloppy earth. I had to return to his family. He could not arrive later than his friends. His loved ones would be worried - I started to cry. Presently my tears abated, but the weeping continued; I stopped. Burdened in body and heart, I listened, so tired: the weeping issued from a gully to my right. It was not so much a cry as a wail, a bansidhe, but I knew it to be human -

Jay
12-15-2003, 05:14 AM
Nnnniiiiiicccceeee, how the hell I'm supposed to continue this? Can't you guys write something not so good :o?

azmuse
12-15-2003, 05:41 AM
jay that was crap and you know it
:)

Jay
12-15-2003, 05:53 AM
Huh? 'scuse me? If you think it was crap, I sure as hell don't, I like it a lot actually.

azmuse
12-15-2003, 07:20 AM
grazie; that's really nice of you. prose gives me fits. ok, your turn:

Jay
12-15-2003, 07:48 AM
That was when I noticed it was him, he regained consciousness. I knelt beside him and tried to soothe the scared friend I almost lost today, and I still can if I don't do something, quickly. I took his battered hand in mine and gently squeezed it. I felt him responding to my touch, he was aware that someone was there with him. In panick I looked around, searching someone to help. There was no one. All the others were way ahead of us, not worried that they left someone behind. What was I supposed to do now? I was exhausted, my mind telling me to keep going, my body to take a rest. I decided to do both, to go a little further(farther?) and then sit for a while.

imthefoolonthehill
12-19-2003, 01:43 AM
to avoid interrupting the story, I am commenting on something azmuse wrote in this forum in a new thread called Everlasting story comments.

Jay
12-19-2003, 03:00 PM
Well, Fool, you gonna join? Or you don't like this all "not one sentence" thingy?

azmuse
12-25-2003, 12:14 AM
people! the story awaits!

Jay
12-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Well Az, have a go ;). Fool? C'mon guys, drop a line... I'm not going to continue my part, anyone wants to join? ANYONE?

azmuse
01-03-2004, 01:17 AM
I sat on my a**, vaguely grateful that the rip in my backside hadn't invited any red ant colonies, and my head dropped. My friend was well, and standing over me. "We have to get to The Spring," he was saying to a tall man in a maroon robe. "We are as purple turkeys and dodo birds here, and there is no understanding availed to us."
"Hunh?" I asked him, turning my head, but he slept on, and I realized I'd dozed, but that we had to continue. But where we could possibly be safe now? It started to rain, and i heard growls, wild animals calling to each other. I shuddered as I envisioned buzzards joining them on the morrow.
I decided to see if any of the trees in the grove nearby could shelter us. I made my way over; they were unlike any I'd ever seen, even in California. Their trunks were easily twelve yards across, and rather than the "goose pen" burnt out middle, each contained a room; there were kitchens with desserts in the oven, breakfasts, dinners and suppers on the stovetops and tables. Some kitchens had breakfast bars, others looked like country homes or national park lodges. Copper pots hung suspended midair, and skylights here and there brightened the countertops and tables. There were bedrooms with feather quilts, king-sized beds, bunk beds, brightly lit rooms, carpeted rooms, some with computers and stereos and others with canopy beds and queen anne furniture. There were waterfalls (thanks Abdo!) in some trees, and backyard ponds in others, full of carp. One housed a solarium full of tropical plants. I ran back the way i'd come,

azmuse
01-11-2004, 08:29 PM
let's pretend that i never put in that last bit, and leave off where Jay did.
Writewritewrite!!! I will shut up! (want to see this continue).

That was when I noticed it was him, he regained consciousness. I knelt beside him and tried to soothe the scared friend I almost lost today, and I still can if I don't do something, quickly. I took his battered hand in mine and gently squeezed it. I felt him responding to my touch, he was aware that someone was there with him. In panick I looked around, searching someone to help. There was no one. All the others were way ahead of us, not worried that they left someone behind. What was I supposed to do now? I was exhausted, my mind telling me to keep going, my body to take a rest. I decided to do both, to go a little further(farther?) and then sit for a while.