PDA

View Full Version : neighbours---help!

amanda_isabel
06-15-2006, 05:28 AM
hey...i need some help...

i have a practicum on the delivery of a monologue, found in 'neighbours' by zona gale and was wondering if you might have any suggestions on how to deliver it, etc.

here's the monologue.

a very old lady in a small town in wisconsin has been pushed aside by the energetic younger members of her family and talks to herself by the fireplace.

(grandma: ) dum 'em. they've gone off to do things. and i'm so old, so fool old. oh, god! can't you make us hurry? can't you make us hurry? get us to the time when we don't have to dry up like a pippin before we're ready to be took off? our heads an' our hearts an' legs an' our backs---oh, make 'em last busy, busy, right up to the time the hearse backs up to the door!

actually, i need a lot of help with the Wisconsin accent. our director demands it of us and i was wondering if you guys could elaborate on it---ex. stresses, what is not pronounced, etc.

this may seem like a lot to ask for on a thread and stuff (lol) but i really need it...

thanks.

mono
06-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Well, well, amanda, I hardly know what to suggest.
The character seems in a very frustrated state at the time of the monologue, so in terms of acting, I may recommend a spiteful, bitter tone to your voice, perhaps make some randomly fast gesticulations with your arms and hands, glare at people, and place emphasis on certain words that you think seem important in the monologue.
I would highly recommend practicing as much as possible. Though, in my past of small drama directing jobs, some people may feel a little embarrassed for practicing, but find a pleasant, quiet place; if you have the bravery to practice in front of others, the more power to you! :nod:
The Wisconsin accent? I did some research and found this site (http://www.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/wisconsin/wisconsin.htm) which may help (having some somewhat silly one-way conversations). I hardly know how to describe the Mid-West accent, but would call it neither fast nor slow, often having a very nasal sound (but not like the New Jersey accent, for example: instead of 'park the car by the garden' the Jersey accent sounds like 'pahk the cah by the gahden'), a casual tone, and neither loud nor quiet.
Hopefully this has helped, amanda, and I wish you the best of luck! ;)

amanda_isabel
06-18-2006, 10:49 AM
thank you mono, you certainly have helped a lot. truth? your suggestions sound like what our director would suggest. :) thanks again!