PDA

View Full Version : Helena and Demetrius

julesville87
06-09-2006, 01:20 PM
I was just wondering about Helena because I thought that she was virginal (im sure it says that in the book) and just was in love with Demetrius and had not slept with him. In other texts I've read that she was seduced by Demetrius and then he left her, which one is correct, anyone know?

readingrainbow
08-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Sorry to disappoint you dear, but Demetrius never slept with or attempted to seduce Hellena. Try as she may, she could not get him to stand the sight of her. He only rejected, threatened, and hated her. But at the end of the story, she ends up winning him over with the help of the fairies. They wish them good luck and then the story ends with the fairies flying off to do a chant of some sort. She may have seduced him but that is not in the comedy. That's up for interpretation.

Captain Sharmie
09-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Didn't she say something about him raining oaths of love on her? So he must have, at some point, at least wanted her slightly... Before Hermia turned up, of course.

ash_of_lee
10-02-2006, 03:14 AM
I was just wondering about Helena because I thought that she was virginal (im sure it says that in the book) and just was in love with Demetrius and had not slept with him. In other texts I've read that she was seduced by Demetrius and then he left her, which one is correct, anyone know?

rfet tytue

ash_of_lee
10-02-2006, 03:23 AM

For an argument assay one day i used Demetrius as interprating the relationship between a anal couple, especially when people are around thats when they turn on the 'i love you' act thats why i described them as anal. However the man of the couple likes you and you (Helena) like him but you dont know why, the woman of the couple is fustrated by this and her coping mechanism is to make you jealous, this is another describsion of such an 'anal couple'.You (Helena) cant bear to see this as it hurts to much. Kids story my ***.

Titanium
01-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Lysander and Theseus both say that they have heard that Demetrius wooed Helena, who fell in love with him,and then rejected her for Hermia. Helena also says some things to this effect.

Whether they actually slept together isn't absolutely clear. It is something for the director and actors to discuss. If I were directing the play I would say that they did sleep together. Helena in general seems much more experienced and worldly than Hermia, who is clearly a virgin. If you go this way it heightens the contrast between Helena and Hermia for the audience.