PDA

View Full Version : My Side of Paradise...

Sophie Vodvarka
06-08-2006, 02:53 PM
is This Side of Paradise

I'm no expert on literature, and I havn't read every classic. But I've never read a book that moved me as much as This Side of Paradise. It has slowly surpassed Pride and Prejudice as my favorite book, as it made me think intellectually more than anything else ever has. I love Amory's character, his arrogance and his pursuit of happiness struck me as the most real emotions one could describe. His relationship with the Monsignor reminded me of a similar relationship with a mentor, and I was continually intrigued by his references to becoming a Personage. Fitzgerald beautifully depicts Amory Blaine's shaky transcendence into adulthood and his honest feelings about the world. I, as some of you have previously mentioned, enjoyed This Side of Paradise much more than The Great Gatsby. I would agree though, that The Great Gatsby is perhaps a more solid book. But I think the at times irregularity of This Side of Paradise makes it that much better- the book is as real as it's subject.

CollisClay
12-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Totally agree. Particularly in the chapters leading up to, and in which _____ leaves Amory for another man (with more money), are the most moving pieces I've ever read.

:D

PabloQ
11-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I found this book to be one of the most artistic novels I've read in some time. I like the way a portion of it in dramatic form and characters express their feelings through poetry. I enjoyed it.
Although a first novel, and largely autobiographical, I too enjoyed watching the egotist develop into a personage and begrudgingly at that.

Virgil
11-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I've never read this. You guys have inspired me. When i have some time I will have to try this.

Buh4Bee
08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm in the midst of reading this book and am thoroughly enjoying it. It can be quite slow at times and I agree that it is not the best crafted book. The heady parts are not well balanced with the fun fast parts. I find Fitzgerald to be too abstract at times when he is describing a character's emotional state. Although beautifully written, it is lacking in perspective or greater world understanding. It is to be expected and understood, since this is Fitzgerald's first book.

Buh4Bee
06-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Funny, I just read Tender is the Night and I reacted the same way as I did to Paradise Lost. I think Fitzgerald matured in his writing, therefore his more abstract segments were better expressed in Tender is the Night as compared to Paradise Lost. I still felt his descriptions of the emotional states of certain character were too abstract to relate too at times, but much less so in Tender is the Night. At some point, I'd like to reread The Great Gatsby and see how I find the writing as compared to the other novels.