PDA

View Full Version : Save Me The Waltz

rabid reader
06-08-2006, 01:36 AM
I am reading Save Me The Waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald (F. Scott's wife) taccaully to be accurate I am reading her complete collection. She was never fully realized as a writer mostly because of her husband b ut I have been reading this novel and it is one of the best I have ever read. It is semi-autobiographical, and going by this I really read the Great Gatsby in a totally different light, (F. Scott is not Gatsby but Tom). I am about half-way through this I'll keep you guys up to date, but I wanted to know if anyone has ever read Zelda before?

kathycf
06-08-2006, 02:46 AM
I have read only some of her letters to her husband and a few articles. She seemed like a witty and interesting person, whose writing career never really seemed to take off. Overshadowed by her husband perhaps, but she was also hospitalized for mental illness.

rabid reader
06-08-2006, 03:00 AM
three times

summer grace
12-12-2006, 03:11 PM
I have read the entire book of her collected writings. I love what she has to say, and I really enjoyed Save me the Waltz. I thought it was very evocative of what their lives must have been in the 1920s, more than any bio I have ever read of them. She had a gift for catching a mood, I think. I love the way she writes, in that she does catch the mood of whatever character she is writing about, and makes you feel the story. She wasn't so much of a novelist type though. It seems to me she would have been better with memoir, if that had existed then. She could have written a great book in that vein, and her writing was so evocative, that it would surely have been popular. In its way, Save me the Waltz was a memoir, but in the form of a novel. Zelda fit the '20s, but she was far advanced for her era. Her writing ability is underated.