PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Jane Austen Characters

CatonHotTinRoof
06-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Who were your favorite Jane Austen characters? They don't have to be main characters at all.

some of mine are

Mr. and Mrs. Bennet - no doubt about it they are in fact my favorite characters
Mr. Collins
Mr. Darcy of course

Marianne

Jane Fairfax

and always our heriones.

thevintagepiper
06-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Elizabeth Bennet
Mr. Darcy
Marianne
Fanny Price
Henry Tilney

In that order. I cannot see how on earth you can like Mr. and Mrs. Bennet, entertaining as they may be!!! I can't stand them....Mr. Bennet is alright, but Mrs. Bennet-ugh.

CatonHotTinRoof
06-10-2006, 11:30 PM
I just mean they're entertaining.

Pensive
06-11-2006, 02:52 AM
Mr. Bennet
Lydia Bennet
Mr. Bingley

samah
06-11-2006, 12:56 PM
My Favourite characters are of course Elizabeth Bennet and Mr.Darcy ,Jane Bennet and Fanny Price and I like Mr.s Bennet I think she is funny lady .

ShoutGrace
06-13-2006, 08:49 AM
"Mrs. Jennings, Lady Middleton's mother, was a good-humoured, merry, fat, elderly woman, who talked a great deal, seemed very happy, and rather vulgar. She was full of jokes and laughter, and before dinner was over, had said many witty things on the subject of lovers and husbands; hoped they had not left their hearts behind them in Sussex, and pretended to see them blush whether they did or not."

Isn't that just fun?

I think she did more for Jane Austen than any of the other characters in Sense and Sensibility. She brought some (usually unwanted - by the characters) vitality and life to an otherwise dry narrative.

lschamotta
06-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Honestly, I love every character Jane Austen has ever created. I don't love them for reasons of liking them or disliking them if they were placed before me but simply because they are so well produced. Jane Austens main talent is to create a character and bring them to life so fully that you feel you know them like you know your best friend. Every sentence written is full of meaning. I have never found a greater expert on charactization than Jane Austen-truly! If ever you need to learn how to perfect that art refer to any of Jane Austens greater novels and you will find it in the simplest format. If you want my favourite character that I would like in real life I think the best would be Mr. Bennet. I think I would find him highly amusing because of his dry wit and independance. The man lives his life on his rules and his opinions. Otherwise the simple fact that he has gotten very tired of his wife speaks to me. I would get tired of anyone like her in the blink of an eye. Such a simple mind nothing deep just an empty little shell of a person. Of course those types of people are everywhere so we all have to get along right? That being said this is why Jane Austen is such an amazing author-you gain opinions on these characters, and become involved because they are so well written.

downing
06-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Darcy
Elizabeth Bennet
Mr.Bennet

Marianne Dashwood
The Colonel who marries Marriane(I don't remember his name now)

mono
06-21-2006, 03:13 PM
The Colonel who marries Marriane(I don't remember his name now)
Colonel Brandon, if I remember correctly. ;)

downing
07-14-2006, 07:30 AM
Colonel Brandon, if I remember correctly. ;)
right,colonel brandon. Thanks,Mono!

Jesourirai
07-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Elizabeth Bennet, I know it's cliche but I have rarely related to a character as much as I did to Elizabeth Bennet.

thevintagepiper
07-14-2006, 09:59 AM
I just mean they're entertaining.

Ah, that makes me feel better :D

Danika_Valin
07-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy are definitely both my favorite characters, but I also like Marianne Dashwood, Edward Ferrars, Capt. Wentworth and even Anne Elliot and Willoughby. I liked Colonel Brandon in the movie version merely because Alan Rickman is amazing, but I thought the character in the book was really dry and boring.

RobinHood3000
07-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Mr. Darcy, by far, for the same reason I like Rhett Butler. He knows human nature like nobody's business.

persuaded
07-17-2006, 06:26 AM
omg how difficult to answer!!!!
mine are anne elliot (though sometimes she's too meek), but lizzie bennet is definitely the best.
male character: frederick wentworth aaaaaaaaaaand mr darcy :brow: (obvious)!!!

Riddleman
01-12-2007, 02:29 PM
I have always liked Mr. Knightley. Didn't like Emma much, but Mr Knightly's such a good and sensible, but also loving man. I really like him (and yes, of course, Mr Darcy ;) )

sawsan
01-14-2007, 09:47 PM
I just want to say hello. This is the first time I post. I'm not familiar with the technique just yet. I read the messages. But I don't have the courage to participate. Elizabeth Bennet is my favourite character.

Demented Faerie
01-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Mr. Darcy all the way!

Matrim Cuathon
02-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Emma is definitely my favorite. ive seent he movie for P&P and read Emma and S&S. I always enjoy charatcers who think they are very smart and who get put down.

Inderjit Sanghe
02-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Elizabeth and Darcy.

Matrim Cuathon
02-19-2007, 08:30 AM
lol everyone loves darcy and elizabeth. this thread is so boring. :)
i havent actually read the book for P&P though so i might agree with you if i do.

olichka
02-20-2007, 02:29 PM
1) Mr. Darcy for sure ! :ladysman:
" My good opinion once lost is lost forever. "
" You must allow me to tell you how ardently I love and admire you ! "
Wow, how poetic ! I think the above pronouncements definitely reveal the poetic and noble side of Mr. Darcy.

2) Other characters :
Elizabeth Bennett
Mr. Bennett ( very amusing ! )
Mrs. Bennett ( hysterical, and therefore comical---she and the actress who played her in the BBC version of 1995 provided excellent comic relief !!! ) :lol:
Colonel Brandon as played by Alan Rickman ( here, too, he managed to add a somewhat mysterious/sinister side to the character.

3) Ever wonder about the particulars of Darcy/Elizabeth marriage ?
Forgive me, but can't help wondering about the aspect of the physical involvement in their marriage. :blush:

Perhaps this could be a good thread to fantasize about Darcy and Lizzy's marriage ??? :rolleyes:

olichka
02-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Anyone with ideas ? ...
No-one ?? ...

I think it could be such a tantalizing discussion... ;)

Matrim Cuathon
03-02-2007, 08:28 AM
after getting through SS, Mansfield and PP after Emma, Emma is still the best chracter.

Adudaewen
03-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Anyone with ideas ? ...
No-one ?? ...

I think it could be such a tantalizing discussion... ;)

Definitly is a tantalizing discussion. Why don't you start another thread rather than change this one. ;) I'd post in that one.

My favorite characters are definitly Lizzie and Jane Bennet, Mr Darcy, Colonel Brandon, Edward Ferrers (sp?), Elinor and Marianne Dashwood
I also adored Lucy from S&S. She was so deliciously evil ;)

Kaltrina
03-02-2007, 09:21 AM
My favourite characters are definitely Lizzie and Mr. Darcy

Laurette
04-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Ooh, what a question! I can't decide! I think Anne Elliot is probably my favourite. Of all the main characters I liked Catherine least. Of course, Emma, Lizzy Bennet and Elinor Dashwood are absolutely wonderful, but I have a strange liking for Fanny Price. :) I quite look up to her.

Mr. Knightley, Marianne, Colonel Brandon (and no, not just because Alan Rickman is a god :P ), Mr. Bennet, Darcy, Bingley - all of them delightful characters! Jane Austen was a genius of pinning situations and characters perfectly, so there really isn't a character I disliked. I'm glad I don't know some of them in real life, but as literary creations they're all good. :)

mazz
04-02-2007, 11:10 AM
(and no, not just because Alan Rickman is a god .... my sentiments too, I'm going to see if there is a pub here! (Galaxy Quest)
Don't you have to admire the ability to write a character you love to hate such as smarmy Mr Collins.

olichka
04-02-2007, 06:27 PM
(and no, not just because Alan Rickman is a god .... my sentiments too, I'm going to see if there is a pub here! (Galaxy Quest)
Don't you have to admire the ability to write a character you love to hate such as smarmy Mr Collins.

Yes, yes, Alan Rickman IS a GOD --- and he DID do a good job playing Colonel Brandon, particularly since he's not his usual type of character. So normal and decent and caring !

kandaurov
04-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Pardon me, I only have read half (!) of Sense and Sensibility, but up until now my favourite has to be Mr Palmer :D

tinustijger
04-25-2007, 10:56 AM
I haven't read Sense and Sensibility yet, it's waiting for me on my bedside table, but I saw the film and I absolutely loved Elinor Dashwood! Maybe it's just because Emma Thompson is fantastic,, but I reallly liked the character, just responsible but yet very vulnerable. I'm suprised no-one liked her best :P I'll read the book.

EmilySian
05-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I have read all the Jane Austen books many times through, and though it would be interesting to see what peoples favourite characters are.
Personally my favourite male character would have to be Mr darcy or Mr knightly.
Mr darcy because he just seems to be the perfect man!!.
Mr knightly because he believes in Emma all the way thorough, that she can be a better person He's the sort of person that would e a really good friend.

Favourite female character: Fanny from Mansfield Park- because she always stays true to herself, and her morals.

NotWoodhouse
05-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Emma, Mr. Knightley, Elizabeth Bennet, and Mr. Darcy

pika
05-31-2007, 12:46 AM
is Sense and Sensibility good, i heard some people say it's not so good, Elizabeth and mr. darcy would be my fav character for now

The Catcher
06-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy...no contest.

tinustijger
06-13-2007, 11:21 AM
is Sense and Sensibility good, i heard some people say it's not so good,

I'm reading it, it's good but I kknow the story already, from the film, so I'm not that interested any more it almost seems!

AC_fan
06-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy. But I only read Pride and Prejudice. I have to read other books from this author to chose more characters. :)

Sir Bartholomew
06-19-2007, 08:58 PM
emma woodhouse

emmsi_*tobyrox*
06-21-2007, 11:07 AM
My faves would have to be Emma and Elinor for the heroines but those characters that are older and more ridiculous are funny, Mrs Elton in particular makes me laugh, oh and Mrs Jennings.

Lady Elizabeth
06-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Definitly Elizabeth Bennet. I really can relate to her and in some ways, are like her

Annabel Lee
07-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Elizabeth Bennet for her strong will and determination; Marianne for her passion; Anne Elliot for all that she had to go through before getting Captain Wentworth back.
And my favorite Austen male characters would be Mr. Darcy, Frederick Wentworth, and John Willoughby. (I guess I like Colonel Brandon too.)

LadyWentworth
09-04-2007, 12:24 AM
In this order:

Captain Wentworth (take a look at my name ;) )
Colonel Brandon
Mr. Darcy
Elizabeth Bennett
Anne Elliott

antonia1990
06-25-2008, 08:09 PM
The hero and heroine from P&P, Persuasion and Northanger Abbey

Also: Mr and Mrs Bennet and Mr Collins (what a character!! I laughed at him, not with him!), Lydia and her obsession with soldiers

snowangel
07-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Mr. Darcy - because he is the kind of guy I want to marry
Henry Tilney - because he is the type of guy I should marry

Elizabeth Bennet - because she is the girl I want to be
Anne Eliot - because I resemble her in many ways

Lady Catherine - who wouldnt want to go through life believing that your every wish should and will be obeyed?

Capt. Wentworth - cause he writes the most romantic letter

Mr Crawford - I think he was J. Austen's greatest mistake. She should have let him have Fanny--both characters deserved a better life than the one the ended up with.

Marianne Dashwood - I just liked her commitment

Flipside

Lydia Bennet - hated her for wallowing, thriving in her ignorance of the pain she caused

Emma Woodhouse - just wanted to shake her and tell her to grow up

Edmund Bertram - sooo boring

Lucy Steele - love/hate her for her evil designs on Elinor's man

Katia
09-05-2008, 12:08 AM
My favorite characters:

Mr. Darcy
Frederick Wentworth
Fanny Price
Elizabeth Bennett
Anne Elliot
Elinor Dashwood

I also agree with snowangel on the topic of Mr. Crawford. I felt that he ought to have ended up with Fanny too. Yes, he had shown to be horrible at the beginning as he did pursue Maria, but he then began to show some maturity and true affection for Fanny. I think that if she had accepted him he would never have gone down the path of seducing Maria, but we'll never know and I'm completely off topic. :P

MARIANNE M
10-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Favorite Characters:
Elisabeth Bennett
Mr. Darcy
Col. Brandon
Cap. Wentworth
Henry Tilney

I disagree, I think Henry Crawford was not for Fanny. Indeed I think he is not for anyone. He would have been good for Fanny at first but it is in his character and at one point in his life we would have missed the playing and making girls fall in love with him. This being a married man would have led to an unhappy marriage.
Edward though a little dull share her moral standards

LadyCapulet
03-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Emma
Mrs. Jennings--she is what I hope to be like when I grown old

GX4146
03-25-2009, 09:09 PM
mrs jennings
mrs bennet
sir thomas bertram
mr woodhouse
mrs allen
mary musgrove

selsabil
04-04-2009, 10:12 AM
my best characters are : Emma, Mr Knightly , Marriane and Elinore, also colonel Brandom
Elzabeth Bennet , but honestly I hate Mr and Mrs Elton , who agree?

MissScarlett
04-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I love so many!

Emma Woodhouse is my very favorite.
Mr. Knightley
Mr. Bingley
Mr. and Mrs. Bennet
Elizabeth Bennet
Mr. Darcy
Marianne and Elinor Dashwood
Captain Wentworth

emma-bovary
04-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Mr Darcy
Elizabeth Bennet
Elinor Dashwood
Edward Ferrars
Cap. Wentworth
Willougby
I love a lot of Jane Austen's characters. They're all lovely, I think, even the " bad" characters.

VincentsCathy
04-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Anne Elliot - Because I can relate to being an older (myself age 38) lady, a spinster, with regrets about the way she handled her early relationships by being easily manipulated by friends and family.

prendrelemick
04-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Isabella Thorpe, the little minx