PDA

View Full Version : favorite video games?

Idril
06-07-2006, 02:48 PM
I actually did a search for this topic this time and all I came up with was what was your favorite video game system so I think I'm okay ;) ...

Are there a lot of gamers here and if so, what are your favorite games? I don't have a very large repertoire of games, I tend to find a couple series of games and then stick to it. I love anything in the Zelda series, with Ocarina of Time for the CG and A Link to the Past for SNES as my favorites of the bunch and I'm also crazy about the Harvest Moon series and I know a farming simulator game doesn't sound very exciting but it's so ridiculously addictive. I was also a big fan of the Lost Viking games they had for SNES but I've seen them for any other system which is kind of sad because those were fun strategy games.

RobinHood3000
06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (haven't played Oblivion yet)
Fable (haven't played The Lost Chapters yet)
Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots
Kingdom Hearts series
Pokémon series
TIE Fighter
The Sims
Super Smash Brothers: Melee

I have a soft spot for RPGs...

Bysshe
06-07-2006, 04:17 PM
I was a Pokémon obsessive for years. I loved the gameboy games.

Now I occasionally play on my brother's Zelda games (The Wind Waker's fun, and I used to go on Ocarina of Time before I....gave up). Oh, and I played Harvest Moon religiously for a while.

I love The Sims, but sadly I had to uninstall it.

AimusSage
06-07-2006, 04:22 PM
hehe, I love RPG's too :)

I love games in general, although I am not a big fan of current gaming trends :(
I just don't care for mass multiplayer games, or the next multiplayer shooter. over the years I have played a great many games, and the list below are the ones that stuck with me. Be prepared for a long list:

In no particular order:

RPG's
Baldur's Gate 1&2, (not the silly console games, they suck by comparison)
Planescape: Torment (Best RPG ever!)
Knights of the Old Republic
Jade Empire
Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind beating oblivion for top spot.)
Tie Fighter: Collector's Edition
Freespace 2
Fallout 1&2
Arcanum: of Stealworks and Magick Obscura
Blood Omen (the original RPG, before they spoiled the it all with the legacy of Kain series)

other:
Half Life 1
Total annihilation
Civilization 2
Wingcommander series (esp. IV)
Privateer
Simcity 2000 and 4
Little Big Adventure 1&2
Splinter Cell series
Manic Mansion/ Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango
Monkey Island (Guybrush is the greatest pirate ever :lol:)
Full Throttle

and a mention on the sims 1&2: Building houses is fun, the game itself isn't that interesting, although the concept is good. :)

edit: I can't believe I forgot MASTER OF ORION 2!

RobinHood3000
06-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Ooh, I forgot Arcanum -- it's fun, but the lack of random spawning (or at least the lack of random spawning in the same thread as Diablo II) sucks some of the thrills out of combat.

AimusSage
06-07-2006, 04:54 PM
heh, Diablo 2 is a nice game, but I never really liked the mouse click action combat. the rare and unique items were a nice touch, but I found the random droppings a little silly. The best thing in the game was the cow level! If you played that level you'll never say that cows are innocent again.

Fable: The lost chapters are a nice addition, but it can't fix the games childish story and presentation. And being to freakin' short! the lost chapters add a few hours, that's it.

And I can't believe I forgot to mention MASTERS OF ORION 2. Possibly the best 4X game ever, beating Civilization 2. :)

RobinHood3000
06-07-2006, 04:58 PM
That reminds me -- Homeworld is fun, too, as is Rollercoaster Tycoon.

AimusSage
06-07-2006, 05:03 PM
True, Homeworld is really good, and it was a game that was actually difficult to play, required real strategy tactics. I should have mentioned it, but if I listed every game I liked there would be a list of over a hundred titles :D

Idril
06-07-2006, 07:22 PM
I was a Pokémon obsessive for years. I loved the gameboy games.

Now I occasionally play on my brother's Zelda games (The Wind Waker's fun, and I used to go on Ocarina of Time before I....gave up). Oh, and I played Harvest Moon religiously for a while.

There were a couple of Pokémon games I enjoyed when my kids were still playing them, one was the gameboy games, you could get either Red or Blue and I think eventually there was a Green one, I played the Red and the other one I liked was the one where all you had to do was take pictures, not a highly exciting game but it was kind of fun to see what pictures you could come up with. My kids and I were highly competitive with those Pokémon games though but we had such different training philosophies so a straight comparison was difficult, they would train one or two pokémon really hard so they would be ridiculously strong but they wouldn't have a lot of depth where as I tended to spread my training out a little more so while my strongest ones were weaker than their's, a least I had more staying power in battles...strategy is everything. ;)

I didn't mind Wind Waker, I had a hard time dealing with those graphics but the game play was fun, the only quibble I had with it is that sailing around everywhere in that boat, changing wind directions got a little old after awhile.

I just got the new Harvest Moon game for CG, Magical Melody and I've become completely obsessed with it for the time being. You can play as a girl or a boy and there are 10 bachelors/bachelorettes you can choose from, some familar from the old versions and some new, you can actually marry Bob the Shipper in this one, not that you'd want to. :p

kathycf
06-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Harvest Moon game

That sounds like fun.

I recently started playing video games myself. I was only playing Scrabble and chess on the computer, plus poker and hearts for card games. I have recently discovered RPG's and the like. Fun, fun, fun. I have Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter nights, sacred 2 and the elder scrolls 3: morrowind.

Idril
06-07-2006, 07:54 PM
That sounds like fun.

Oh, it is! It really takes a great deal of strategy because you have to build up your farm and you have a limited amount of money and time and strength in the beginning. You can build up strength and money of course, over time and the more you upgrade your tools, the less time you have to spend on your chores but it's a real struggle when you start out. As you start making money and expanding the farm and buying animals and making friends with the villagers and wooing your chosen mate, you don't want to stop because each day brings a new accomplishment.

...and now that I'm talking about it, I want to play so I'm off to play a few days. I just won the Cow festival and there's just a couple days of spring left so I need to get my crops harvested and do some foraging before the seasonal offerings are gone for another year. :D

RobinHood3000
06-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Dungeon Siege is not bad, but fairly average -- I played the original Sacred, and I thought it was pretty good (if occasionally shoddy). How's the sequel?

kathycf
06-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Dungeon Siege is not bad, but fairly average -- I played the original Sacred, and I thought it was pretty good (if occasionally shoddy). How's the sequel?

Hmm, well, so far it is a little hokey, but ok. I never played the original, and I don't have that much prior experience in gaming to compare games. Everyone at a community site I belong to yells at me for playing Dungeon Lords for example, while I don't think it is that bad.

I actually belong to a couple of Dungeon Siege community sites. It is a game that can be modded, sort of like The Elder Scrolls. There are some adaptations that can be a bit more challenging than the original DS. Plus, right now a friend is building an armor mod based on ideas of mine. Truth be told, I think I like hanging around the community more than playing DS anymore.

Stanislaw
06-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Final Fantasy...the original...followed by TMNT: manhatan project. (both for the 'ol NES) to think o it...I love duck hunt!

newer systems:
PS2 - from russia with love...the game was a little boring...but it had sean connery so 'twas cool. Also Star Wars Lego...teh best game ever made! (with a sequal coming in november)

I am also a fan of the doom series...so many mods to little time! :D

and quite possibly my fav, game of all time is bushido blade II, though Diablo II was pretty awesome.

Though I noticed somesone mentioned harvest moon, that was a cool game, i saw the sequal at EB yesterday and almost bought it except it was $40, so I'll wait a bit! :D

bazarov
06-08-2006, 03:34 AM
One and only...Only game I ever played, and I'm playing it for 7-8 years...FOOTBALL MANAGER, once known as Championship Manager or simply...Manager!!!

ClaesGefvenberg
06-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Games... But of course :thumbs_up I have been using computers for play and recreation since the dawn of home computing: Does anybody here remember Sinclair ZX-80 (one Kb RAM) and Spectrum (a massive 48 Kb RAM) of the early 80's? I still have a working ATARI ST (whith a quick and dirty upgrade from 512 Kb to 2.5Mb) tucked away somewhere. Sigh... Memories

I played Mickeysofts Combat Flight Sim on the net for several years, and made lots of good friends in the process.

Ah, the (current) fovourite games:

Pacific Ace (I always did prefer flight sims...)
Geoff Crammonds Formula 1 GP4
The Medal of Honour series

/Claes

Stanislaw
06-08-2006, 04:35 AM
Games... But of course :thumbs_up I have been using computers for play and recreation since the dawn of home computing: Does anybody here remember Sinclair ZX-80 (one Kb RAM) and Spectrum (a massive 48 Kb RAM) of the early 80's? I still have a working ATARI ST (whith a quick and dirty upgrade from 512 Kb to 2.5Mb) tucked away somewhere. Sigh... Memories

/Claes

Nice! I am collecting the ol vic 20 set...I have mostly every accesory except a paddle...I even have the expansion memory cartridge...I love that stuff, much to the chagrin of my parents...who store my collection in there basement :D

AimusSage
06-08-2006, 05:45 AM
One and only...Only game I ever played, and I'm playing it for 7-8 years...FOOTBALL MANAGER, once known as Championship Manager or simply...Manager!!!

Best football related game ever, SI Games all the way!
I started with CM3 back in 1998 I believe it was. :D

Themis
06-08-2006, 05:51 AM
The Final Fantasy Series
Vagrant Story
Neverwinter Nights
The Sims 2 (I actually bought it because you can build houses there, not because of the game)
Escape from Monkey Island Series
Tropico
Civilization Series
Avernum Series
SSX 3
... and I admit it, Harvest Moon- Back To Nature too ;)

Pensive
06-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Man, I can't live without Harvest Moon. I am really crazy about it. I have got FOMT at home and I am really searching for AOL! I have not played any other farming game! I really want to!

Other Computer Games which I really love are Sims Makin Magic, Sims Hotdate, Sims Unleashed (but not very fond of it) and my dearest GTA Vice City.

Stanislaw
06-08-2006, 12:30 PM
heh monkey island :thumbs_up ...I am murry the most evil skull... :D

oh, heh...when it comes to sims for me, I like the old school ones...sim farm, sim ant, sim city, sim city 2000

Bysshe
06-08-2006, 01:33 PM
There were a couple of Pokémon games I enjoyed when my kids were still playing them, one was the gameboy games, you could get either Red or Blue and I think eventually there was a Green one, I played the Red and the other one I liked was the one where all you had to do was take pictures, not a highly exciting game but it was kind of fun to see what pictures you could come up with. My kids and I were highly competitive with those Pokémon games though but we had such different training philosophies so a straight comparison was difficult, they would train one or two pokémon really hard so they would be ridiculously strong but they wouldn't have a lot of depth where as I tended to spread my training out a little more so while my strongest ones were weaker than their's, a least I had more staying power in battles...strategy is everything.

I didn't mind Wind Waker, I had a hard time dealing with those graphics but the game play was fun, the only quibble I had with it is that sailing around everywhere in that boat, changing wind directions got a little old after awhile.

I just got the new Harvest Moon game for CG, Magical Melody and I've become completely obsessed with it for the time being. You can play as a girl or a boy and there are 10 bachelors/bachelorettes you can choose from, some familar from the old versions and some new, you can actually marry Bob the Shipper in this one, not that you'd want to.

I went through Pokémon yellow, gold...and sapphire, because my brother had it. I collected all the cards, watched the TV shows - everything. But I was only ten at the time, so it's excusable.

I agree, dragging out the wind waker to change the wind direction every five seconds gets rather tedious after a while. Otherwise, it's an enjoyable game and I like the idea of sailing from island to island.

The only Harvest Moon game I have is A Wonderful Life. The only problem is it's incredibly slow-moving. Even though I played it daily for a long time, it still took me ages to get to the stage where my son was born. Even now, my son's only at the child stage.

bazarov
06-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Best football related game ever, SI Games all the way!
I started with CM3 back in 1998 I believe it was. :D
Season 98/99, young Saviola, Robbie Keane and Aimar... :banana:

RobinHood3000
06-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Ooh, I remember TMNT!! Classic side-scroller, loads of fun.

Eh, I'm not big on the Civilization games. I like my empire-builders real-time.

Idril
06-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Man, I can't live without Harvest Moon. I am really crazy about it. I have got FOMT at home and I am really searching for AOL! I have not played any other farming game! I really want to!

It's so exciting to find other fans of the game. I love FOMT, I have both the 'male' and 'female' versions. It was weird to play as a girl for the first time, I always marry Ann, in all the versions, she's always my choice and when I started wooing Kai, I almost felt like I was cheating on her. :lol:

The only Harvest Moon game I have is A Wonderful Life. The only problem is it's incredibly slow-moving. Even though I played it daily for a long time, it still took me ages to get to the stage where my son was born. Even now, my son's only at the child stage.

For all my enthusiasm for the series, AWL is the one version I've never been able to get into. I don't like the planting system, I don't like the fact that you have to deal with your animals twice a day, I don't like the weird sleeping patterns you have or the way you just skip a few years here and there. My son loves this game but try as I may, I just can't get excited about it.

A lot of people have recommended Final Fantasy to me, saying if I like the Zelda games, I like these but there are so many! Where should I start? Do I have to start at the beginning or can I just pick any old one to begin with?

RobinHood3000
06-08-2006, 09:56 PM
I imagine you could pick it up anywhere -- I've heard lots of positive feedback about number VII (or was it number VIII...? :confused: ). If there's anything about the Final Fantasy games, it's that they aren't final.

Stanislaw
06-09-2006, 01:35 AM
I imagine you could pick it up anywhere -- I've heard lots of positive feedback about number VII (or was it number VIII...? :confused: ). If there's anything about the Final Fantasy games, it's that they aren't final.

heh...the best was the first final fantasy...funny story about the title...ye see the game producers actually meant for it to be the last game that team would ever produce...budget an all, however it was so popular that the designers were signed on again, and then later sold on to ps territory. :cool:

Pensive
06-09-2006, 04:30 AM
It's so exciting to find other fans of the game. I love FOMT, I have both the 'male' and 'female' versions. It was weird to play as a girl for the first time, I always marry Ann, in all the versions, she's always my choice and when I started wooing Kai, I almost felt like I was cheating on her. :lol:

Haha I have got only the boy version. I also usually marry Ann though Popuri is not that bad too. (except that sometimes she is really childish) Now, I am not getting how to buy Vacation House. I have tried my best but still haven't got enough money. *frowns*

Idril
06-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Playstation games will play on a PS2, right? So if I get the first Final Fantasy, I can still play it on the PS2? I do really like rpgs and my kids just love the Kingdom Hearts games so they might even be interested...FF would be alright for an 11 and almost 13 year old, wouldn't it?

Haha I have got only the boy version. I also usually marry Ann though Popuri is not that bad too. (except that sometimes she is really childish) Now, I am not getting how to buy Vacation House. I have tried my best but still haven't got enough money. *frowns*

That vacation house is a bugger! I have insane amounts of money but not that insane. :rolleyes:

I became attached to Ann from the N64 version, in that one, the wives would actually 'help' you out on the farm. I eventually married everyone and the most helpful was Ann and that's when I fell in love with her and when I decided that I would never again marry Popuri. Not only was she not particularly helpful, which neither was anyone but Ann, her job was to water but she's so random about it and then she only waters about 2 squares in the whole field but the other problem for me is that if you don't marry her, she marries Gray and when they have a baby, she names it Mint...I can't take a woman seriously if she names her baby Mint. ;) :p

Themis
06-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Playstation games will play on a PS2, right? So if I get the first Final Fantasy, I can still play it on the PS2? I do really like rpgs and my kids just love the Kingdom Hearts games so they might even be interested...FF would be alright for an 11 and almost 13 year old, wouldn't it?:

"Kingdom hearts" was produced especially for kids. The "Final Fantasy Series" is a little different.

And yes, Playstation games work on the PS2 just fine.

But are you really talking about the first game? I didn't know that was available for the PS. I thought the first to work on the Playstation was FF VII. (Apart from the games that were remade for the PS. like FF VI.)

Stanislaw
06-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Playstation games will play on a PS2, right? So if I get the first Final Fantasy, I can still play it on the PS2? I do really like rpgs and my kids just love the Kingdom Hearts games so they might even be interested...FF would be alright for an 11 and almost 13 year old, wouldn't it?

sorry old boy, the original Final Fantasy was released for the NES...

this bugger:
http://www.classicgaming.com/museum/nes/nes.jpg
http://www.nesgames.co.uk/images/nes_console.jpg
http://www.nintendocity.com/pictures/nes_cart_scans/Final_Fantasy.jpg

However ye be 100% about PS2 being backwards compatible with the PS :thumbs_up

Themis
06-09-2006, 05:56 PM

And Gameboy as far as I remember ;)

Idril
06-09-2006, 06:22 PM

Wow! I didn't know that, so it started out as a Nintendo title...when did that change? My heart isn't set on starting with the first one, I'll start with which ever one is recommended, I just didn't know if you had to play them subsequently or not but apparently, you don't, so I won't. ;)

"Kingdom hearts" was produced especially for kids. The "Final Fantasy Series" is a little different.

So, are you saying you don't think it's appropriate? They play most "T" games but I do like to have some idea why they're rated "T" before I give my consent. There was one game in the series that was geared more towards kids, wasn't there? Something with the word "Crystal" in it...I'll have to check amazon for that.

kilted exile
06-09-2006, 06:29 PM

Yes, Champ Man (now football manager) I started playing the original in 1992 for the Atari ST ( the computer Claes mentioned earlier) it was 512kb and it needed 3 disks to run the game but it was brilliant. Then Cahmp Man Italia came out in '94. I have played each and every incorporation of the game up to the current FM2006.

kathycf
06-09-2006, 08:53 PM
So who else wants to show off some screenshots of their favorite games? C'mon, I for one love screenshots.

Here are a few from Dungeon Siege. I wrote in an earlier post in this thread that I really like DS because it can be modded.(Much like NWN and The Elder Scrolls).

In fact, I haven't played the game in it's original form for months. There are mini-maps, player-character,weapon and armor mods and even "siegelets" which are like an alternate version of the original game in scope and size. (the mini-maps just offer a new playing area and some new quests) Here are a few examples of that...

a player character mod "Dark/Light elves" some armors and weapons.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h56/kathycf/screenshots/bet4.jpg http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h56/kathycf/screenshots/s2.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h56/kathycf/screenshots/r.jpg http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h56/kathycf/screenshots/L.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h56/kathycf/screenshots/shurkien.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h56/kathycf/screenshots/kat.jpg

Themis
06-10-2006, 09:56 AM
So, are you saying you don't think it's appropriate? They play most "T" games but I do like to have some idea why they're rated "T" before I give my consent. There was one game in the series that was geared more towards kids, wasn't there? Something with the word "Crystal" in it...I'll have to check amazon for that.

No. I'm saying "Kingdom hearts" was in many ways more childlike than the others. It isn't part of the Final Fantasy Series either.. But I played FF7 (FF VII) myself when I was 12, I think, and I wasn't disturbed or anything by what I saw.

Idril
06-10-2006, 11:19 AM
No. I'm saying "Kingdom hearts" was in many ways more childlike than the others. It isn't part of the Final Fantasy Series either

I know that Kingdom Hearts isn't part of the series but it has gotten the kids interested in those characters and the games they came from.

.. But I played FF7 (FF VII) myself when I was 12, I think, and I wasn't disturbed or anything by what I saw.

Thank you for the opinion. Violence doesn't worry me so much...well...that's not entirely true, just regular fighting is something I've come to accept, it's the severed limbs and bucketfulls of blood that I still have some issues with but I'm mostly concerned with any really overt sexual content, that still makes me a little squeamish when it comes to my kids. So, violence is fine, sex is not. :lol: How screwed up are my kids going to be? ;) :p

Themis
06-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Violence doesn't worry me so much...well...that's not entirely true, just regular fighting is something I've come to accept, it's the severed limbs and bucketfulls of blood that I still have some issues with but I'm mostly concerned with any really overt sexual content, that still makes me a little squeamish when it comes to my kids. So, violence is fine, sex is not. :lol: How screwed up are my kids going to be? ;) :p

No sex whatsoever or I wouldn't have been allowed to play it at that time. (And wouldn't play it now.)