PDA

View Full Version : Fathers and Sons

bazarov
06-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Anyone read it??? What do you think about Bazarov??? :nod: :nod: :nod: He is quite cool guy... ;) ;)

Idril
06-02-2006, 05:13 PM
I've read it and I loved it. Bazarov is your typical Russian hero, sullen, tragic, disillusioned and unlucky. ;)

Virgil
06-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Many years ago. Same reaction as Idril. Very good novel.

Boris239
06-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I've read it a while ago, and it was an easy read. Bazarov has a very strong and attractive personality, but his nihilism leads nowhere.

bazarov
06-03-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't think so...His nihilism lead him to Odincova, and then all his nihilism and principals felt down...He accepted love, clever womans :lol: and his family. Unfortunatly, too late,

Inga
06-04-2006, 04:36 AM
This is definitly a great novel. Bazarov is a strong figure and this is a book that shows the nihilism perfectly. There are many nihilists in Russian literature, but Bazarov may be the prototype.

bazarov
06-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Bravo Inga!!!! :D :D

Inga
06-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Bravo Inga!!!! :D :D
LOL I see you're Bazarov fan number one! :lol:

SFG75
08-08-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm currently reading Fathers and Sons, and I agree, Bazarov is one happening guy. :banana: The commentary I have in my book is very wel written and highlights the historical context of which the book was written very well. Of all the characters, it is the one that earned Turgenev the most hatred from both political circles. The left thought that his portrayal of Bazarov lampooned them and made them look silly. Those on the right thought he was glorifying nihilism. Undoubtedly, Bazarov is a lucky literary character. The first bolshevik, the leading nihilist, a lightning rod of a character if there ever was one. :cool:

Janine
10-31-2006, 02:25 PM
One of my favorite novels. I have not read it for sometime but it certainly hits a cord. I have never forgotten some of the scenes and cherish owning it. It was my late father's book. Maybe I should put it back on my "must read" list. Might be better yet second time around. It is not that long, but such a great read!

.closed.
03-27-2007, 07:26 AM
I think Fathers and Sons is a great introduction for those who are new to Russian literature. Turgenev explores different social strata’s and their impact on society well. By the end of what is a relatively short novel, you really start to feel that you understand and build empathy for the principal characters. My thoughts on Bazarov; is that Turgenev created a character that was purposely flawed to highlight the contradictions and flawed ideology of nihilists. I also feel that Bazarov dieing symbolised either the consequences for Russian society at the hands of nihilists or the death of the nihilism.

Superb novella and a great author.

chaplin
04-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Bazarov was truly a founding character of the second half of Russian 19th century literature. And the way Turgenev portrayed this ambiguous character was just as foundational, i.e. without tendency towards the right or left, simply a portrayal for the sake of portraying. Chekhov obviously admired the way in which Turgenev wrote, not merely his descripitive passages, but the passages where Bazarov is shown as a nihilist period, and not a nihlist that is wrong or a nihilist that is right.

wat??
02-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Bazarov is definitely one of my favourite characters in any book.