PDA

View Full Version : names...

amanda_isabel
05-25-2006, 03:22 PM
tell us anything about your name---history, why you were named that, if you would change your name, etc...

papayahed
05-25-2006, 03:47 PM
My middle name means "Strife and Unrest". I really like that.

chmpman
05-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Is this screen names or everyday names?

water lily
05-25-2006, 03:51 PM
My parents were torn between the names "Mindy" or "Wendy" so they took a poll amongst their friends and "Mindy" won out, but when they announced it to the family. My uncle would not hear of it, because "Mindy" wasn't a sophisticated enough name foor a Unversity diploma. I guess they thought that was a serious objection, because my name is not "Mindy"

amanda_isabel
05-25-2006, 03:56 PM
chmpman,

both.

ShoutGrace
05-25-2006, 04:01 PM
There is nothing too remarkable about my real name.

My handle I chose because I love the Christian idea of Grace and personally believe it to be the most wondrous thing ever concepted. I like the 'shout' both because I like to imagine it done and when I think of it I get the visual in my head of someone in the middle of the street, jumping for joy.

amanda_isabel
05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
There is nothing too remarkable about my real name.

My handle I chose because I love the Christian idea of Grace and personally believe it to be the most wondrous thing ever concepted. I like the 'shout' both because I like to imagine it done and when I think of it I get the visual in my head of someone in the middle of the street, jumping for joy.

shoutgrace,
surely there is something remarkable beneath every name.

my handle is my name, my first and second. i did try making a sentence out of my full name's meaning and this is what i got.

worthy of love as she is dedicated to God, and to salty palm.

(the name is amanda isabel salinas ramos, salinas is my mother's maiden name.)

p.s. if you prefer not to use your name here, then you can put what name you would like and why if you would change your name, etc,.. just suggesting. :)

IrishCanadian
05-25-2006, 05:16 PM
My Great Granddad was in the BlackWatch calvary regement of the British army during the first world war. He had a family in North Africa and a girlfriend in Scotland (travelling as a soldier). When his Scottish girlfriend got pregnant she wrote my current last name ontop of his real last name and her real last name on all kinds of official documents: baptismal certificates, marriage documents (though their actual marriage is missing on paper) etc. in order to cover up her shame of having a bastard child. Or so we infer from the evidence. We think he might have fought alongside the Black and Tans (Kilted knows the evils they have done) ... and he eventually moved to Ireland to make a new life with his girlfriend (or rather "wife" as she became known by the locals).
So my family name on my father's side is completely lost. We don't know what clan we might have belonged to and because we don't know the old last name we can't find his military files.
Its exciting stuff to sloothe out. We think that the original family name was O'Muir, Moir, or Moirs ... or something like that. My Great Aunt that refuses t otalk about it was told a name like that by my other (late) Great Aunt.
Woah, this is a long post. But now everyone knows my family history.

AimusSage
05-25-2006, 05:48 PM
I've recently been made aware that my real name means holy man. How ironic is it that I am an atheist. I guess it meant something for my parents, they named me afterall, and are not atheists at all. Still, I can life with it. With my parents too, as they are all around good folks if a bit slow at times. That's probably because they're old, and it's kind of endearing too. :D

My screen name actually had it's origin a couple of years ago, four maybe five years ago I was just a speck of Spacedust. However, as I grew in goofyness, I soon realized I was more then just a speck of spacedust, and became a spaceduster, cleaning the universe with a broom! However, I became even more, and soon I became Amessage, from outer space that is. Unfortunately, the people from earth thought it silly to be just a message. Therefore, I decided that I would alter my name into something more profound, to coincide with the message I carried. This was the moment I became Aimus the Sage By which I am still known. :D

RJbibliophil
05-25-2006, 06:00 PM
My real name is a name found in the Norwegian Bible. It names at least 4 women in the New Testament, all of whom knew Jesus. One is called blessed. One chose "what is better". One was cured. One attended to His needs. One is the mother of James and Joses. Two were there when He died. Two were the first to see the risen Jesus. I could add that it means bitter, but I consider it more of a challenge to follow those I am named for.
This must sound like a riddle. :lol: My sister's name is the same as one of the above's sister, only in Norwegian.
My middle name is the same as my mother's, and is the feminine version of my grandfather's name. His name was the same as one from Tarsus.
My last name is a Norwegian word for the summer home up in the mountains where the housewife and children would summer with the cows, making cheeses and other milk products for the winter.

My username is mostly obvious, but RJ are initials of a personal name only I know. :D I might let is out, for it is Norwegian, but I also use it as a password for various things, so no.

kilted exile
05-25-2006, 06:10 PM
We think he might have fought alongside the Black and Tans (Kilted knows the evils they have done)

yep (http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/black_and_tans.htm) the depressing thing is though I have met and know people who think they were great men. :rolleyes: Its just another part of Irish/ west of scotland history that is completely bleeped. Same with the people who praise the PIRA and sing "rebel songs" or tell jokes like "How many protestants does it take to change a lightbulb? It doesnt matter they're all condemned to eternal darkness anyway" without knowing what the hell they are singing about. Mind you I'm a rangers fan so automatically that makes me a knuckle dragging neanderthal who sings about being "up to my knees in fenian blood" and "the night we burned ardoyne, cos on the 13th night of August we should've shot the lot". There are too many people who dont understand the world and are scared of each other, I often wonder if a localised plague wouldnt make certain areas of Ireland/Scotland a better place (I'm thinking Shankhill rd; Bridgeton; Easterhouse; Parkhead here)

Anyway, enough of that depressing nonsense. My name:

The mother had wanted to call me Stuart, however we had a cousin by that name who lived in Alloa so I got called Andrew instead. I got Stuart as a middle name along with Hesse: which is the name of my great, great grandfather when he came to Scotland from what is now the Czech Republic in the mid/late 1800's. He was a glass engraver by trade and we still have many of the things he created.

kathycf
05-25-2006, 06:52 PM
My screen-name is just a variation of my real name:
name . ..... Original Irish form
Kathleen... (fem) Caitlín ....(it means) traditionally associated with Catherine (greek) and the word 'pure'
Connell ... (masc) Conall ...(it means) strong as a wolf
My other middle name means "warrior maiden" So I guess I am a strong, pure warrior. ;)
The "F" is for my last name, which means something too, but I don't know what...

Themis
05-25-2006, 06:56 PM
tell us anything about your name---history, why you were named that, if you would change your name, etc...

I've got three "real" names. The second and the last I've got because my mother wanted me to be able to celebrate "my" saint's day. Which is what we celebrate in Austria aside from the birthday.

My first Christian name I've got because my mother loves the name and because quite a few of my ancestors shared my name. One of them was the grandmother of my great-grandmother I think. Maybe I forgot a "great" somewhere. But mainly because my mother loves it. :D
And I love it too because it is quite a beautiful name. ;)

ElizabethSewall
05-25-2006, 08:50 PM
My real name means 'smooth-haired' and my second name (which is my aunt's name) means devoted to Mars.

mono
05-26-2006, 11:20 PM
My first name means 'gift of God,' my middle name means 'brilliant mind,' and my last name, in an alternate but similar spelling in Old German, means 'falcon.'

chmpman
05-27-2006, 01:02 AM
This is what my last name means, which I just looked up, having no idea before. Funny.

"a topographic surname of French origin, for someone who lived in a valley"

I think my first name means "God remembered me" or something.

My screen name comes from a longstanding nickname I've had, with "man" added for dignity's sake. I just randomly left the first vowel out, can't say why. It confuses people though, so I like it.

Riesa
05-27-2006, 01:22 AM
and one of the reason's why I cherish you, dear chmpman, flout the ordinary!

Mililalil XXIV
05-27-2006, 01:46 AM
My given name is something of the ethereal
Is it Celeste? Or Ghosta?

Riesa
05-27-2006, 01:53 AM
Is it Celeste?Nope. good guess though.

WhimsySA
05-27-2006, 05:13 AM
I am named after a semi-precious stone. The chinese carve out of it. Oh, and it is a green stone by the way. I don't think I want to tell you what my name is just yet, so guess & I'll tell you if you are correct!

THINGAMAJIG is NOT aloud to guess!!!!!!!!!!

RobinHood3000
05-27-2006, 06:56 AM
"Robin," "Ollie," and "Connor" are names I always thought would be cool to have (ask Pendragon why).

Pendragon
05-27-2006, 12:03 PM
And indeed I do know why, and might suggest the last name "Archer."

My first and middle names both come from Middle English and basically mean "of or from the valley." I prefer to be called by one of my pseudonyms, my friends here usually call me "Blade", "Jonathan Blade" was a dark Jedi character I was developing (with his sidekick, a very large [think liger sized] telepathic cat named Dyane with fur that allows her to almost disappear in daylight.) I was "Raven" to others, and still am to people who read my book reviews on amazon.com. Raven Darkendale, a half-eleven fantasy character.
Here I am Pen. David Pendragon, Lost son of Camelot. I was Spiritwalker on the Appalachian Trail. He became Askuwheteau, my Algonquin Shape shifter. Tobias Kirkwood, a ghostly Confederate soldier. John Michael Carmichael, a super-smart midget. Mason Barnabas Rawhide, a gentle giant African-American Doctor. Aaron Pathfinder, Cheyenne tracker. Victor [Vic] Noir, French Secret Agent. Lucio Manuel Rafáel Diego Léon , Old California descendant of Zorro. Kai’ Yoshima , Ninja Shadow Warrior. Lord Kestrel, a British Vampire. Absalom Kane, descendant of the Puritan with a Mission, Solomon Kane. Delta Vector, (What? I can't think up a female pseudonym?) Delta is a Starship Navigator. Mortimer Graves, a Psychic Detective.
What's in a name? I am still me... :nod:

kathycf
05-28-2006, 03:57 AM
I am named after a semi-precious stone. The chinese carve out of it. Oh, and it is a green stone by the way. I don't think I want to tell you what my name is just yet, so guess & I'll tell you if you are correct!

THINGAMAJIG is NOT aloud to guess!!!!!!!!!!

My guess is Jade. :)

Actually jade or jadeite comes in many colors, but the most well known is green. (/me has two jade pendants and is an amateur gemologist...)

blondeatheart
05-28-2006, 04:02 AM
yea it's probably jade but emerald is another green semi-precious stone that is a name but i don't really think the chinese use it

WhimsySA
05-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Wow, you guys are good (maby I gave a few too many clues). So, hi guys my name is in fact Jade. I said all I know about it in my first post so if anyone wants they can read that. I haven't really bothered to research my name so what I know is what people have told me.

Bysshe
05-28-2006, 06:51 AM
My real name is Alexandra, which comes from the Greek "Defender of Men" .

And my screen name, Bysshe, is a referrence to Percy Bysshe Shelley, of course. :)

Idril
05-28-2006, 11:43 AM
My real name is Lisa and there's no significance to it, my parents just liked it. They were going to name me Sina, after my great grandmother but decided at the last minute that it was too different and I wouldn't like it so they picked a name that was so common, about every other girl that was born from 1966 to 1976 was named the same thing. :rolleyes: When I went to college, the first year they had these, "communication groups", groups of other freshmen that would get together and...do what, I don't know, I guess they thought it would help ease you into campus life or something but in my group, there were 5 girls, 4 of us were named Lisa and 3 of those were Lisa Maries. I think I would've preferred Sina. I did go through a period when I was a kid when I was quite convinced my real name was Elizabeth because I had read in a name book that Lisa was a derivitive of Elizabeth so I would sign everything Elizabeth, it drove my mom nuts.

My last name, maiden name, means rocky hillside or something like that in Norwegian, it was the description of the area where the family farm was.

As for my screen name, I've mention my reasons for picking it in other threads. Idril is a character from The Silmarillion and the reason why I picked it is because she's known for having pretty feet and so do I. :D ;)

rachel
05-28-2006, 02:43 PM
My first name Rachel is Hebrew of course meaning-little lamb, a ewe, one with purity.
my second Lee is from old english, gaelic and chinese meaning in that order-glade,poet, plum
my last name is the name of the King of Jerusalem in the time of the crusades.

Schokokeks
05-28-2006, 04:36 PM
My first name translates by "powerful sorceress", but last summer while enjoying my holidays in the Mediterranean, I found out that it is also an Italian cheese label :D.
My last name is actually the profession one of my ancestors must have carried out once upon a time - a wainwright.
As to my screen name, it simply is my favourite 'dish'! :D As I'm concious of becoming gradually addicted to it, I thought I might as well let it be part of my online identity! ;)

Themis
05-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I think I forgot to say what my names meant.

The first means "Star", the second's Mary and has quite a few meaning, none of which I can recall now. (Though behindthename.com has an idea there "The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". ") and my third name means "assumption". And with all that, one could think I'm Italian.

@Schokokeks: I deciphered your last name, hah, no such luck with your first name though...More precisely, the solutions I got don't sound too likely. Or is your name, in fact, Ceridwen? Or Irmgard? But then,' Irmgard' doesn't sound like a cheese label. ;)

RJbibliophil
05-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Themis, I have heard Mary means bitter, I know for my first name is a form of Mary.

Idril, now you have me really curious. Now I want to figure it out! Where in Norway did your family come from? My last name is Norwegian too.
My last name is a Norwegian word for the summer home up in the mountains where the housewife and children would summer with the cows, making cheeses and other milk products for the winter.

Whimsy, Jade was really obvious. I would have gotten it if you said it was a semi-precious stone the Chinese used.

kathycf
05-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Whimsy, you probably know that the Chinese refer to jade as "The stone of Heaven"; pretty name you got.

Here is a link some of you might like re: names
http://www.googlism.com/index.htm

Here is a sampling of what I got for my first name and first and middle names.

kathleen is a poor irish girl who has always longed for a life of wealth and luxury
kathleen is a magna cum laude harvard graduate
kathleen is an angel
kathleen is coming back to long beach island for chowder fest posted by msk on august 22
kathleen is not her verbal gaffes
kathleen is not alone in a garden
kathleen is studying for her phd in business
kathleen is the quintessential earth mother caring for all life

kathleen connell is making somewhat quieter noises about running for governor
kathleen connell is controller of the state of california
kathleen connell is at it again
kathleen connell is criticizing you for keeping the state’s power
kathleen connell is playing nasty politics even though she's right

Idril
05-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Idril, now you have me really curious. Now I want to figure it out! Where in Norway did your family come from? My last name is Norwegian too.

They are from Øyer, which is in Gudbrandsdalen, close to Lillihammer, in fact my brother and his wife watched some of the ski jumps during the '94 Olympics that were held in Lillihammer from some relative's porch. I haven't been there but my brother was married in Norway and he went over there a few weeks early so he could travel to Øyer and meet some members of the family that were still there. He confirmed that the hillsides were indeed rocky. :lol:

Themis
05-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Themis, I have heard Mary means bitter, I know for my first name is a form of Mary.

Ah, thanks. I think I've heard that one before.

Idril
05-29-2006, 10:22 PM

You mean one of these (http://www.balstadlaft.no/109-2.jpg)?

ShoutGrace
05-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Whimsy, you probably know that the Chinese refer to jade as "The stone of Heaven"; pretty name you got.

Here is a link some of you might like re: names

david is slicker than his last cd
david is the author of divining the eagle
david is delivered by a geological catastrophe
david is new rhodes scholar
david is the best damn hockey player ever
david is preparing to storm the british charts once more
david is done speaking with her
david is in fact not burning
david is outside the guarded gates

Shakira
05-30-2006, 02:57 AM
My real name means a person deeply religious who enlightens others about the divinity of God& spreads His teachings. But my folks believe I'm faaaaar away from it.

Schokokeks
05-31-2006, 03:41 AM
@Schokokeks: I deciphered your last name, hah, no such luck with your first name though...More precisely, the solutions I got don't sound too likely. Or is your name, in fact, Ceridwen? Or Irmgard? But then,' Irmgard' doesn't sound like a cheese label. ;)

Irmgard! :lol: That's acutally my mother's name! :D
I myself am called Ricarda.
I attribute the fact that you've guessed my last name to your being German, too ;)

smilingtearz
05-31-2006, 03:49 AM
Evangeline: Good News, Gospel..

evangeline is a fictitous character in the epic poem evangeline
evangeline is a young girl around seventeen years old
evangeline is now a web site (:lol:.. i have to be.. the time i spend here)
evangeline is not as stage
evangeline is still moving 150 years after henry wadsworth :thumbs_up
evangeline is much more than that (:banana:)
evangeline is designed for the flat waters of louisiana
evangeline is just as powerfully attracted to the steady mr (hmm..)
evangeline is highly educated (Aha!)
evangeline is so (??)
evangeline is an 1847 epic poem by american writer henry wadsworth longfellow; it also is the name of the poem’s heroine
evangeline is on the roam just barely seventeen when she left home don't know where she is or where she's going she is the queen of make believe
evangeline is forced to leave for lands unknown
evangeline is
evangeline is a prime example of why i hope ms
evangeline is analytical and cool
evangeline is a mythical tale about
evangeline is separated in most areas from the overlying chicot aquifer by clay beds; in some areas the clays are missing and the upper sands of the
evangeline is a romantic poem written by henry wadsworth longfellow describing the expulsions of the acadians from nova scotia in 1755
evangeline is the tale of emmeline labiche and her love
evangeline is obsessed with keeping the old
evangeline is based on the suffering of a real acadian woman separated from her loved ones
evangeline is the 849th most popular female first
evangeline is not telling him the whole
evangeline is a baton rouge born artist whose art often references female historical figures
evangeline is guitarist gary lucas' first attempt at recording traditional music
evangeline is an attractive asset :banana:
evangeline is a very good adaptation of longfellow's famous poem
evangeline is in the works
evangeline is a funny and warm heroine with plenty of spunk :thumbs_up
evangeline is a group to watch
evangeline is an essential ingredient in the educational diet of northern maine’s inhabitants (huh?)
evangeline is free and open to the public tuesday through saturday from 10 (:eek:!!!)
evangeline is an excellent weaver
evangeline is about 73' x 100' x 217' (uh!)
evangeline is a comic book character created by chuck dixon
evangeline is a likeness of
evangeline is a suite of sparse
evangeline is based upon the longfellow poem of the same name
evangeline is read by volunteers into a microphone sending that text to headphones worn by lucky pierre member who writes the text on the
evangeline is a dead ringer for dolores del rio
evangeline is one of several quasi
evangeline is first intrigued
evangeline is a talented artist
evangeline is a single parent whose child is the daughter of her sister
evangeline is on the
evangeline is not a great film
evangeline is an anomaly amongst connors's recent works
evangeline is his first full
evangeline is based on an incident that occured during this period
evangeline is located in the st
evangeline is reunited with gabriel's father
evangeline is in this
evangeline is an excellent companion to fruits and light cheeses as well as a nice picnic wine when served well chilled
evangeline is about to discover just how ruthless
evangeline is the legendary folk heroine of acadia
evangeline is authentic
evangeline is the most well known fictitious acadian heroine
evangeline is a friendly
evangeline is a large stage play that played during the summer of 1997 in charlottetown pei
evangeline is 2 years old and has diabetes
evangeline is active in the college reading association
evangeline is sad because she isn't getting to hold pokey
evangeline is a gypsy who wanders the streets with her invisible blue dog
evangeline is preserved
evangeline is ville platte
evangeline is my "my sweet lord" or my "the model"
evangeline is proof of high performance consistency in the cow families at winterbay
evangeline is the bayou
evangeline is smarter
evangeline is a great poem
evangeline is important because she is a symbol of acadian cultural identity
evangeline is taking care of her husband
evangeline is buried
evangeline is looking to lose her innocence
evangeline is married to dr chong yew lam and is expecting their first baby in may 2000
evangeline is an acoustic showcase
evangeline is a french feminine name that means ‘angelic like presence’ and its root comes from the word evangel
evangeline is the one "who brings good news to him(this is the actual meaning) evangeline is a single mum with a young son

ShoutGrace
05-31-2006, 03:51 AM
evangeline is looking to lose her innocence

I think you have some splaining to do!

smilingtearz
05-31-2006, 03:52 AM
ask "googlism"... i just don't know.. uh.. umm...

ShoutGrace
05-31-2006, 03:53 AM
evangeline is preserved

Oh, maybe everything worked out actually?

smilingtearz
05-31-2006, 03:56 AM
Phew!!............

smilingtearz
05-31-2006, 04:04 AM
Peter's a nice name isn't it?

ShoutGrace
05-31-2006, 04:05 AM
Peter, Petros, Cephas, Rock . . .

smilingtearz
05-31-2006, 04:07 AM
yeah... :nod:
and Andre?

SleepyWitch
05-31-2006, 04:38 AM
My real name is a name found in the Norwegian Bible. It names at least 4 women in the New Testament, all of whom knew Jesus. One is called blessed. One chose "what is better". One was cured. One attended to His needs. One is the mother of James and Joses. Two were there when He died. Two were the first to see the risen Jesus. I could add that it means bitter, but I consider it more of a challenge to follow those I am named for.

hey cool, i think we're namesakes.. my name is the Hebrew version of those women's names

my dad had a crush on a girl with this name before he got to know my mom; my mom had a friend in France called like that plus she had a knack for 'exotic' names (my bro's name is Russian/Slavic). I narrowly escaped being named Cordula :sick:

SleepyWitch
05-31-2006, 04:58 AM
and my third name means "assumption". And with all that, one could think I'm Italian.

assumption? would that be your last name? Himmelfahrt? or Annahme ? :lol:

My last name is actually the profession one of my ancestors must have carried out once upon a time - a wainwright.
hehe, does it start with a W in German, too? and end in the German word for smith? or is it a W.-serf/slave ?
my last name is pretty boring... except when English ppl try to pronounce it.. it invariably comes out as 'male private parts', if i should ever apply for UK citizenship, I'll get my name changed first :) on the other hand, Scots can pronounce it

Themis
05-31-2006, 05:59 AM
Irmgard! :lol: That's acutally my mother's name! :D
I myself am called Ricarda.

Nice name. I wouldn't have found that one out, not exactly typical german.

I attribute the fact that you've guessed my last name to your being German, too ;)

Austrian! ;) But you're correct, otherwise I don't think I could have got it right.

shinigami
05-31-2006, 07:47 AM
Hmmm....

Well my real first name means flower, mermaid or martyr... My real second name means ray of the sun, my maiden name is chinese do i really don't think it means anything... My real last name is "Fang" and it's self-explanatory... I think...

Shinigami is my adaptation from Gundam Wing.. Duo Maxwell, pilot 02.. It means.. god of Death and Destruction... and I have my multi-personality disorder and i'm O.C. [obsessive compulsive]... I'd like to be named Azrael... the St. peter of Hell.. the secretary of Shinigami... the one who opens hell's gates and stuff... It's really a cool name but lots of people say my original name is unique and great already but I beg to differ... hehehe...

SleepyWitch
05-31-2006, 08:24 AM
@SleepyWitch: Close. Himmelfahrt. :p Well, actually my second and third name together are "Maria Assunta". That's the same as "Maria Himmelfahrt" ;)

hehe, sounds like your parents are fundamentalist Catholics or something :lol: sounds beautiful, though :) no offence, my dad's a Peter Joseph, Jesus has failed to build his church on him so far, though, although he does resemble a rock more and more as he gets older :)
maybe you can explain to me why so many Catholics call their daughters Eva Maria? I mean, Eve stands for the original sin, whereas Mary is the exact opposite of that... so, if the kid turns out 50% Eve and 50% Mary she'll just be your average person like anybody else??? could set their aims a bit higher, seeing as they're Catholic and the child would probably turn out like anybody else anyway Eva Maria or not :)

Themis
05-31-2006, 08:33 AM
hehe, sounds like your parents are fundamentalist Catholics or something :lol: sounds beautiful, though :)

:D No, they aren't. Catholics, yes, but not fundamentalist. I've got this name, primarly, because in our family we celebrate saint's day ("Namenstag") and with my first (first) name I wouldn't have got one.

maybe you can explain to me why so many Catholics call their daughters Eva Maria?

I'm afraid not. I don't think it's about the meaning behind the name though. Few people actually know what the names they chose mean.

SleepyWitch
05-31-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm afraid not. I don't think it's about the meaning behind the name though. Few people actually know what the names they chose mean.
Tuttut, how can they defend themselves against Protestants/Atheists etc if they don't know simple things like that :)

@Schokokeks: i didn't know Ricarda meant powerful witch... er sorceress :) maybe i should consider having my name changed :)

Themis
05-31-2006, 09:16 AM
Tuttut, how can they defend themselves against Protestants/Atheists etc if they don't know simple things like that :)

I can. :D Well, everybody I know is well aware of what their names mean and such but there are lots and lots of Catholics around. ;)

SleepyWitch
05-31-2006, 09:56 AM
hehe, :) I'm a mean old witch :) i like to tease people sometimes :)

RJbibliophil
05-31-2006, 02:57 PM
They are from Øyer, which is in Gudbrandsdalen, close to Lillihammer, in fact my brother and his wife watched some of the ski jumps during the '94 Olympics that were held in Lillihammer from some relative's porch. I haven't been there but my brother was married in Norway and he went over there a few weeks early so he could travel to Øyer and meet some members of the family that were still there. He confirmed that the hillsides were indeed rocky. :lol:

Well, our roots are not too far apart, I come from Hallingdal. My mother went to some skiing event OL 94, it was when my family was still living there. I was probably 2, but I think I watched it on Norwegian TV. I think I knew Gudbrandsdal was rocky. Have you had Gudbrandsdal geitost? It is about the only goat cheese I ever have. BTW, Gudbrandsdal is one of those valleys with just "dal", some valleys have "dalen", such as Østerdalen, but not Gudbrandsdal. :D

Boogiie___x
05-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Although I dont know what my name means..I was named Breana because it rhymed with my mothers name...

shinigami
06-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Just because of the rhyme? I don't like my real name..it sounds weird and foreign.. Why couldn't my parents pick something less.. um.. Unique... But my brother and I have the same initials... M. R. K. F. ... K is Kho.. F is Fang... and that's bout it..

cuppajoe_9
06-01-2006, 02:00 AM
My screen name is taken from the film version of James and the Giant Peach. I also like coffee.

My three real names have been disguised in the following clever riddle that I just thought up:

I am the great, the baptist, the goat.

Have fun with that one.

SleepyWitch
06-01-2006, 03:33 AM
My screen name is taken from the film version of James and the Giant Peach. I also like coffee.

My three real names have been disguised in the following clever riddle that I just thought up:

I am the great, the baptist, the goat.

Have fun with that one.

ok, I'll have a go... the baptist --> John the Baptist? but who's John the Goat???? the great? Alexander? Alexander the Goat? Alexander the Baptist???? I'm giving up :lol: :D (are you a guy?)

Themis
06-01-2006, 07:46 AM
ok, I'll have a go... the baptist --> John the Baptist? but who's John the Goat???? the great? Alexander? Alexander the Goat? Alexander the Baptist???? I'm giving up :lol: :D (are you a guy?)

As for "baptist", I'd say John too. "Great" - hm, can't find anything right now. As for the goat .... Giles?

RobinHood3000
06-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Alexander John ???

Schokokeks
06-04-2006, 02:29 PM
hehe, does it start with a W in German, too? and end in the German word for smith?

W at the beginning is indeed correct ;) However, there's no Smith involved in my family (yet, as my boyfriend's name is Smith :D You're quite good at guessing!! ;) )

According to your screen name, you definetely should consider changing your first name into something more fitting :nod:. However, I strongly advise against Ricarda, it sounds very rrrrrolling in English and most people, whatever nationality, never get it at once...Yet "Irmgard" would be a nice one, wouldn't it?! :lol:

AngelofPhantoms
01-12-2008, 06:18 PM
The history behind my name, well, my name means "Gift of God" or "God's Gift" and I'm not sure where the heck it came from. My mom says that my name came from Nathaniel Hawthorne, because it was one of her favorite authors.

My screen name came from my love of the Phantom of the Opera. In the book, one of his alter egos is the Angel of Music. So I took Angel of, and added Phantoms because I wanted to work the title in and some say I'm as quiet as a ghost or I act like one.