Since then—'tis Centuries—and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
Were toward Eternity—

-emily dickenson

this is one of my favorites

Isagel
11-14-2003, 04:32 AM
Glad that somebody else here likes Dickinson. I really like the way she uses the rythm of the words. I like the imagery in this piece. I think the lines "Because I could not stop for Death— He kindly stopped for me" are perfect. But somehow I don´t like the ending of the poem. It feels like it´s cut off. Like there´s words missing.

I prefer "I felt a funeral, in my Brain". There is a copy of it further down, under "How to read --? " Do you like it?

Shea
11-14-2003, 10:04 AM
I think all Dickinson poems sort of cut you off at the end. I've always liked this one too. I also like "I heard a fly buzz when I died"

nicholasburrus
11-27-2003, 10:32 PM
Impressing

Wilfred
12-04-2003, 01:52 AM
i don't like emily. i think she is just a big gingerbread hoax, she sure has you guys fooled.

eshcolit
12-05-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Wilfred
i don't like emily. i think she is just a big gingerbread hoax, she sure has you guys fooled.

could you explain that to me please?

nicholasburrus
12-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Never heard of her as I said before it is "Impressing" I look for Emily now

zomgmouse
07-07-2007, 01:22 AM
I have to write a shortish essay, an 'interpretation task' to be more precise, on this poem, with the question "What timeless concerns does the poem make about life and death?" and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Thankyou.

Adolescent09
07-07-2007, 02:00 AM
My Gosh... I'm dumbfounded.. Excuse my naivety but that is what I call some serious poetry. What an absolutely gorgeous notion to find death wisp you away in a chase and four and take you to eternity for death has no sublime route. How absolutely marvelous. I must read more from her.

dibyendra
07-08-2007, 02:03 AM
This poem really is very touching. It made me think about several things which this poem is trying to say. I liked it Emily !