PDA

View Full Version : but if Romeo didn't love juliet, did juliet then love romeo?

littleLindkvist
05-24-2006, 06:46 PM
If we assume that Romeo din't love juliet, shouldn't we be questing her love aswell as his??

could her character have developed, from girl to woman... under these 'false' circumstances?

Dare2Dream18
05-24-2006, 07:41 PM
I should think so, yet why are you questioning whether Romeo and Juliet truly loved one another, they killed themselves for love of one another, because the thought of living without the other was too much to bear, so why the doubt?

Bandini
05-25-2006, 04:41 AM
I think we can assume that Romeo was merely infatuated with Juliet - he was on a mega-rebound from Rosaline and clearly 'in love with love'. Romeo's a teenage, hormone raging drama queen.

Do you thimk Juliet is in love?

Bandini
05-25-2006, 04:45 AM
Also, Romeo is taken by her beauty ('jewel on an ethiop's ear' and all that') whereas Juliet is taken by his words it seems (and, therefore, his personality) - and she doesn't get side tracked by Paris despite the fact he makes Romeo look like a 'dish clout'.

Dare2Dream18
05-25-2006, 03:07 PM
very true I too believe that he is taken by her beauty, but it brings up more questions like, could it have been that sappy cliche` line...Love at 1st sight, and then, do you even believe in love at 1st sight or people being destined to be together. a lot of drama, this topic is...and then it brings up once she knows who he is, is she just rebelling being a teen and all, and her parents basically have banned her family from doing any more than spitting on Montague...so is she just being a normal teen and acting against her parents.. or again is it the line love at 1st sight...tough questions huh...

littleLindkvist
05-27-2006, 08:22 AM
well, guys..

I read the thread Romiet posted and thought it was really interesting since I had been thinking in those ways as well... but if we assume that this statement gives a reliable interpretation... I believe that we need to take it a step futher and also ask ourselves if Juliet really loved Romeo..

I believe that Juliet develop quite a lot during the play, and that she to some extent develop from and innorcent girl, playing by her parents rules and to an independent woman... taking actions in to her on hands...
she acts, in ways to that it will give her a possibility to be together with her husband..
but the question now is if she does it out of true love, or if it is a way to escape from her dominating family..