PDA

View Full Version : Reading Your REligion's Holy Book

=Monkey_King=
11-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Has anyone after reading a large portion of their holy book thought that reading more would be a burden on their wisdom than a help? Since i guess the first followers didn't get to read the book and I'm pretty sure they had the same problem as modern day people.

I have experienced that (Christian New Testament) , and in my opinion its because the book was written by men and when so many confusing viewpoints and so outdated info (many stories in the bible had interesting comparisons, etc that were familiar phrases and comparisons in those days but now would sound boring and dry) I just read the important part and after i thought i got the important part I gave up.

Its really hard to understand somthing written ages ago, you have to think harder to relate it to modern life.

Shea
11-13-2003, 09:06 PM
1 Corinthians 3:1-2
1Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly--mere infants in Christ. 2I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.

Some parts of the Bible are a bit difficult to understand if your just starting to read it. There are milk parts (turn the other cheek, do unto others, repent and be baptized, etc.) and there are meat parts (Revelations, Old Law, etc.)

I am a 5 year christian and I am still discovering new things about the Bible. But I also find them very easy to apply to my life in these modern times. (I'm not talking about easy in the desirable way)

Twain once said ( something like this): "The parts of the Bible that I find difficult are not the parts that I don't understand, but the one's that I do.

Stanislaw
11-20-2003, 11:34 PM
When one is reading their religiouse texts I recommend they prey to God for dissernment. That way people can learn what is trying to be taught.

A religiouse document is a bit like a movie, the first time it is vued you get the general idea, and every time after you catch more and more of the little things that you missed the first time around.

subterranean
12-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Well i think most of religious texts aren't suppose to be taken literary, even those texts written in the modern years. I once read this text written by Seth, he established this belief called Seth Material (somewhere in the 1960 or something)...and the teachings are not simple. Takes deeper understading to learn religious texts..that's why sometimes refferences are needed.

mono
12-07-2004, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=subterranean]Well i think most of religious texts aren't suppose to be taken literary, even those texts written in the modern years.[QUOTE]

I could not agree more! Many religious writings, as I perceive them, seem intended as parables, metaphorical in meaning. I would never dismiss any religious text as false, with all due modesty, but I think there exists much to learn morally and spiritually, rather than literally; we all, however, accept it in different manners - some learn, others not, and others choose not - either way, I think, seems acceptable, depending on one's beliefs.

Basil
12-08-2004, 08:06 PM
I would never dismiss any religious text as false, with all due modesty, but I think there exists much to learn morally and spiritually, rather than literally; we all, however, accept it in different manners - some learn, others not, and others choose not - either way, I think, seems acceptable, depending on one's beliefs.

Wow, that is some sentence you've constructed there!

Erna
04-19-2005, 09:19 AM
For me, my religious book is the Bible and I don't think it's a problem to read more and more. I think it's the opposite. While reading more and again, things will become more clear and other things will catch your attention. And while reading the Bible, I sometimes use some notes with it, or books to get deeper into a certain topic.

byquist
04-19-2005, 08:23 PM
The Bible is so full of interesting events. Say, New Testament: After Jesus cured the 10 lepers that came to him asking for help, only 1 turned around to thank him. Isn't that amazing. The others just went about their business whereas this one guy or gal (we don't know) turned around with a heart full of gratitude.

Then, say, Old Testament: Isn't it amazing about the 3 Hebrew youths who were walking around in the "firey furnace." How did they do it? What was the 4th figure walking around with them? What if you were there and saw these three walking out of the furnace? That's rather amazing to consider. Would that change your viewpoint on life?

The Bible is full of amazing events which makes it fascinating reading and studying.

classic_reader
04-27-2005, 09:52 AM
I find that each time I read passages from my religions holy texts (Bible/Book of Mormon/Doctrine and Covenants) that I gain new insight. Depending on what type of problems I am having at the time, or answers I am searching for I often see a passage in a different light than I had previously remembered. That's why I think it's important to read often.

angela

Bandini
04-27-2005, 11:58 AM
It's not just religious books that get better with reading. Shakespeare really is the gift that keeps on giving. Amazing!

As for the 'guidance from the bible' line - what the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves'. Subjectivity is a wonderful thing! Some people can read the bible and act wonderfully to other human beings, others want to stone homosexuals and adulterers to death, whilst others go out and murder prostitutes; they all found what they were looking for.

Adherents of any religion claim to find guidance in their religions texts - yet many claim to be the only 'valid' religion. Bit of a flaw there! Incidentally, I find the whole of human experience is in Shakespeare, along with many insights into spirituality, and myriad other things.

classic_reader
04-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I do agree that there are some wonderful insights in much of the literature available! All good books have some value.

angela

Assyra
05-14-2005, 09:20 AM
i think reading your holy book should be nice, because when i read it, i learn something and i start to think about my life, about the world or anything. i find answers to my questions and i feel more alive.

subterranean
05-15-2005, 08:41 PM
I once tried to write Arabic and read Quran...so hard to do...I couldn't even write the simple character/word of "Allah"...