PDA

View Full Version : Subplots

moiaussi
05-20-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm doing a research paper on Pride and Prejudice. My thesis statement (which, at this point is unchangable) is : "In Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, subplots are not merely connected to the main plot, but are essential to its development." I'm starting to think that I've dug myself into a hole inasmuchas I can not find anything directly pertaining to my thesis.I think Austen wrote P&P very deliberately intertwining all the subplots in such a way that not one could be discluded, for loss of continuity or ...cohesiveness (?). However, I cannot find an official source (or any source, for that matter) that agrees with me; none of them even mentions subplot. So, is my thesis accurate, or is it all just one big plot, with no sublots whatsoever?

CatonHotTinRoof
06-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Well I can see a series of subplots in the novel, because the main plot (the love of Darcy and Elizabeth) would not have come about if not they hadn't happened.

Yes I can see what you are saying.

Also just because no one agrees with you doesn't mean you cannot write a paper on it. The only person who really knows whats going on is the author, people just come up with their own ideas.

I think it is a very interesting paper idea.