PDA

View Full Version : censorship

fayefaye
11-12-2003, 10:36 AM
*delving into the deep, dark, murky depths of controversy*

i don't think i've developed nearly enough leeway at this forum to criticize it's ways, but i noticed that one of my posts had been altered. without my consent. getting rid of all my political statements. (and they weren't particularly political anyway). this is not a huge deal..... but i think a little controversy should be allowed, just on the basis of allowing ppl to share ideas and opinions, not on the basis of starting arguments. anyone else feel the same?

den
11-12-2003, 12:13 PM
While I agree that censorship in everyday life sucks, as in the media and education systems, indeed this is a `public' forum which is privately run, hence, Admin is allowed to do whatever the hell he likes with posts here. He's stated repeatedly that he will not allow political discussion here. I'm fine with that, I know if I post something in this vein he has a right to delete or edit. What's to be confused about?

crisaor
11-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by fayefaye
*delving into the deep, dark, murky depths of controversy*

i don't think i've developed nearly enough leeway at this forum to criticize it's ways, but i noticed that one of my posts had been altered. without my consent. getting rid of all my political statements. (and they weren't particularly political anyway). this is not a huge deal..... but i think a little controversy should be allowed, just on the basis of allowing ppl to share ideas and opinions, not on the basis of starting arguments. anyone else feel the same?
Yep.

Admin
11-12-2003, 09:06 PM
I don't allow political discussion because it creates division and animosity. I can't imagine you didn't know the rules, you chose to break them, your post was edited. I don't care what flag you wave, who you voted for, or anything like that. Political discussion is not allowed, I will not allow this forum to be anyone's pulpit.

fayefaye
11-13-2003, 11:19 AM
i'm sorry. u can delete this thread. i got too worked up. i'll respect the rules, promise.

Koa
11-14-2003, 03:57 PM
I like it that Admin does not allow political discussion. I'm sure it would create big fights leading nowhere, because everyone will keep his/her own opinion, and people mostly wouldn't just agree to disagree... I know how 'angry' I can get discussing politics, and I don't think this is the place for it to happen...

Stanislaw
11-19-2003, 12:20 AM
I have been to other forums where political debate is allowed, and in the end it gets to be rather petty and uninteligent.
This is a safe arena for debate and discussion of friendly topics. Lets keep it that way.
:cool:

fayefaye
11-20-2003, 04:12 AM
i like to discuss politics. i like controversy sometimes; i think sometimes it can be good. but i guess it depends who u are talking to. i like being able to share opinions;ideas and beliefs. sometimes it can help ppl to be less narrow-minded. but the problem with that is it causes a lot of arguments because ppl are so sure that they're correct in their beliefs, and therefore everyone else must be wrong. that's the problem; pretty soon it can degenerate into some sort of bloodbath. it's good as long as it doesn't get to the point of ppl belittling each other's opinion