PDA

View Full Version : where is mind now?

Asa Adams
05-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Once you pass away, it is said the soul perseveres. If the mind is scientifically unmeasuarable and yet its existance is unarguable, the same can be said about the soul. When one dies, one's soul MAY persevere. If this is so, can the mind persevere as well? And if so, what thoughts, if any, are said to exist afterwards?

Union Jack
05-18-2006, 06:46 AM
I do not think that either will persevere, worms will munch on my mind. That is all.

AimusSage
05-18-2006, 07:42 AM
I think they conserved Einsteins brain didn't they?

I think the mind lives on in the work and achievements a person has done over his life, Einstein will always be remembered for his theory on relativity, but he's dead all the same, the remembrance is a shadow of his living mind, and that's all it will ever be.

Dark Lady
05-18-2006, 08:31 AM
I am very sceptical when it comes to these sort of questions. I don't believe there is such a thing as the soul and I'm tempted to say the same about the mind. The brain will rot away with the rest of the body but what exactly is the 'mind'?

Gallantry
05-19-2006, 12:37 AM
woohoo throw free will away. Were just chemicals

Broken
05-19-2006, 01:51 AM
Or are chemicals just an excuse for those who can't face the great responsibility that comes with acknowleding complete free will? (Facetiousness intended)

Reading through Plato's dialogues this semester presented me with an interesting perspective as to what perseveres after death. On the bright side, he'd say we're all well on our way to an enlightened eternity because of our philosophical mindsets.

Eagleheart
05-19-2006, 05:03 AM
Well if there is any room for scepticism here I should share that if anyone can explain feelings or thoughts with chemical reactions...please go on...The probability of life-evolving through random combinatons and coordination is the same as with a mess of complex of letters to create the content of "1984"or the like...If life in its thoroughness is unique...the notion of just-perishing is against any universal laws-and that is Remember the physics classes-Energy is not created,nor destroyed,nor lost...it simply is transformed...The mind is energy...our incomplete knowledge of its transformation does not mean it perishes...or in another way/the mind -the eternity/...

Gallantry
05-19-2006, 05:11 PM
I was being sarcastic in case yall were wondering. I think there is much more than chemical reactions etc. and was pointing out that if it is a closed system and all we are is matter then free will doesn't exist.

Bandini
05-19-2006, 05:17 PM
if it is a closed system and all we are is matter then free will doesn't exist.

Thoughts can be the product of material 'reactions'. It is like saying that there is no 'material' explanation for electricity - isn't it?

Dark Lady
05-19-2006, 06:43 PM
I was being sarcastic in case yall were wondering. I think there is much more than chemical reactions etc. and was pointing out that if it is a closed system and all we are is matter then free will doesn't exist.

Well that depends because you can be a determinist and a compatiblist in which case there is such a thing as free will even though the world is causally closed.

Xamonas Chegwe
05-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Well that depends because you can be a determinist and a compatiblist in which case there is such a thing as free will even though the world is causally closed.

No, that is not true. If you are of that belief then you believe that 'there is such a thing as free will even though the world is causally closed'. That is a very different thing from the statement of fact that you just presented.

Dark Lady
05-19-2006, 07:11 PM
No, that is not true. If you are of that belief then you believe that 'there is such a thing as free will even though the world is causally closed'. That is a very different thing from the statement of fact that you just presented.

I meant that it is the case for a person who is a compatiblist. I didn't mean that IS necessarily the case but that it is possible to see yourself as having free will even if you believe in determinism.

Bookworm Cris
05-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I believe that when we die, our soul continues to exist. To me, the mind is the part of our self that produces thoughts, and sends messages to the body, through the nervous system. All that, working together with the soul, or under 'her' command.
When we die, our soul goes on, and we continue to be a self; we have opinions, and we have 'thoughts' (even if they´re not in a physical body). So, we still have a "mind", and it´s part of the soul.
Of course, when a man like Einstein dies, the work of his mind continue to be remembered. But his mind is where his soul is, wherever it may be.

apple jiang
05-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Once you pass away, it is said the soul perseveres. If the mind is scientifically unmeasuarable and yet its existance is unarguable, the same can be said about the soul. When one dies, one's soul MAY persevere. If this is so, can the mind persevere as well? And if so, what thoughts, if any, are said to exist afterwards?
yes I think the answer may be definite, even though you can't see that your soul and mind still exist in the world , you may find that they are perseverant in another more beautiful and enduring world---other's mind.

Miss Smilla
05-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Personally, i am of the opinion that there is some sort of grander scheme, but i refuse to seriously speculate and worry myself about what it is (though i do find theological and spiritual theories interesting). I think it's a little arrogant for a person to say they know what the go is, because if there was, say, a being which through scientific method or artistic method or, well maybe on a bet or a dare (who knows) decided to create us, then arent we just the equivilant of an earthworm trying to comprehend a computer, or a satelite or love or something equally complex? I mean, its just not going to happen is it? (though kudos to the worm for the attempt, lol). I do respect faith, its very beautiful, but on the condition that it is practised with absolute integrity.

By the way,hey Asa, they've changed membership conditions on me so i cant send or recieve private messages for the next 2 weeks or so! so i havent been ignoring you or anything (am quite frustrated actually). I cant even view your profile or anything. let me kno if u want my email or somthing.

cuppajoe_9
05-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Thoughts can be the product of material 'reactions'. It is like saying that there is no 'material' explanation for electricity - isn't it?There is a material explanation for electricity.