PDA

View Full Version : Help with quotes from Macbeth

Arden
05-13-2006, 01:57 PM
So, my teacher gave us sort of a "sample" test consisting of random quotes from the first half of Macbeth. Our task was to identify the dramatic significance of each of them. I have some idea of what answer to write but I still don't really know how to word it into an acceptable answer. Here goes:

“Hover through the fog and filthy air”

“As cannons overcharg’d with double cracks;/ So they doubly redoubled strokes upon the foe:/ Except they meant to bathe in reeking wounds,/ Or memorize another Golgatha,”

“…But ‘tis strange:/ And oftentimes, to win us to our harm,/ The instruments of darkness tell us truths,/ Win us honest trifles, to betray’s/ In deepest consequence”

“My thought, whose murder yet is but fantastical,/ Shakes so my single state of man that function/ is smother’d in surmise”

“I have begun to plant thee, and will labour/ To make thee full of growing…”

“The Prince of Cumberland! That is a step,/ On which I must fall down, or else o’erleap,/ For in my way it lies.”

“Lay it to thy heart, and farewell.”

“…Hie thee hither,/ That I may pour my spirits in thine ear,”

“Stop up the access and passage to remorse,/ That no compunctious visitings of nature/ Shake my fell purpose,”

“…you shall put/ This night’s great business into my dispatch,/ Which shall to all our nights and days to come/ Give solely sovereign sway and masterdom.

“We will speak further.”

“This castle hath a pleasant seat; the air/ Nimbly and sweetly recommends itself/ Unto our gentle senses”

“But in these cases/ We still have judgement here;”

“We will proceed no further in this business:/ He hath honour’d me of late, and I have brought/ Golden opinions from all sorts of people,”

“We fail!”

“Bring forth men-children only!”

If you guys could give me some input I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

djmyerhmgirl
05-31-2006, 05:13 AM
Do you have where these quotes came from (Scene and Act numbers) so that we can see what context they were in?

Gwenhwyfar2828
10-13-2006, 04:21 PM
“This castle hath a pleasant seat; the air/ Nimbly and sweetly recommends itself/ Unto our gentle senses”

Duncan says this just as he's entering Macbeth's castle, thedramatic significance could be how much danger he's in but has no idea of, lamb to the slaughter

“The Prince of Cumberland! That is a step,/ On which I must fall down, or else o’erleap,/ For in my way it lies.”

This is the real start of the darker plotting (that we see) for Macbeth, just as he's found out he can't become king naturally (theres no way he's gonna naturally outlive Duncan & Malcolm) 'or else o'er leap' he's pondering in possibilities...hrmmm, murder?

hitokaji
12-14-2006, 12:01 PM

I only know that this is called "paradox" and the reason is what the reply above had pointed out.