PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Rome and Juliet

Redghost
11-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Dear Users of "The Literature Network"

I've compleated reading Romeo and Juliet, and am very inspired by it, and am planning to read more books by Shakespeare. I've been thrown a comparative assignment, comparing Romeo and Juliet, but am having difficulties. After many research and brainstorming, I have resulted in coming here for help. What I must do is write an essay which the main thesis is “How Romeo is more to blame than Juliet in the tragic outcome”.

I am able to brainstorm issues to support my main thesis, but need some points to go with them, which is where I need your help. The issue is:

1) Approach to love
2) Problem solving
3) Communication

If anybody have more issues please share them, but my main problem is finding points from these issues to support my thesis.
If anyone can spare a few minutes to lend a helping hand I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance,
Kevin

p.s.
Sorry for posting twice, I just realized there was a section for this topic. So please don't mind the General Chat post

fayefaye
11-12-2003, 10:46 AM
well, a lot of ppl just blame the priest who didn't inform romeo in time of the plan. (u know, leading to his killing himself...)

tryme
04-06-2005, 08:23 PM
I Need To Find 3 Of Each :

amuse
04-06-2005, 08:34 PM
good luck! how do you like the play so far?

mono
04-08-2005, 02:38 AM
I Need To Find 3 Of Each :
Hello, tryme, welcome to the forum. By how specific this request sounds, does this assignment come from school work?
Oh well, I feel in high spirits tonight, anyway. Hopefully, however, you have read the play, regardless, and know each literary device. If not:
'simile:' http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=simile
'metaphor:' http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=metaphor
'personification:' http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=personification

William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet contains numerous examples of each, which I hope you have awareness from reading.

Simile
Montague quotes in Act I, Scene I:
"But to himself so secret and so close,
So far from sounding and discovery,
As is the bud bit with an envious worm,
Ere he can spread his sweet leaves to the air,
Or dedicate his beauty to the sun."

Metaphor
Benvolio quotes in Act I, Scene II:
". . . one fire burns out another's burning,
One pain is lessen'd by another's anguish."

Personification
The friar quotes in Act II, Scene III:
"Care keeps his watch in every old man's eye,
And where care lodges sleep will never lie."

For finding more quotes, I recommend browsing here, where I found many:
http://www.online-literature.com/quotes/quotation_search.php?author=Shakespeare&from=Romeo+and+Juliet
Good luck!

Scheherazade
04-08-2005, 02:45 AM
good luck! how do you like the play so far?
:D

CluelessAngel
04-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I need help... i need to find 2 to 3 quotes that have a lot of personification, metaphor, and/or Similes... please help me I have to do good on this! please!!!

Scheherazade
04-27-2005, 02:16 AM
How much is 'a lot of'?

Bandini
04-27-2005, 03:55 AM
The Friar did try to get the message to Romeo - Mantua was under quarantine - not his fault! Romeo's 'fault' is his haste - as the Friar says "Wisely and slow, they stumble that run fast." Got to go work now, but I am quite 'up' on R+J, so I'll try to post something later. I'll make some suggestions for you clueless - is it R+J related? A simile that springs to mind is "Death lies upon her like an untimely frost/ Upon the sweetest flower in all the field", oh, and "...like a jewel on an Ethiops ear." Metaphor - "...and Juliet is the sun." There's some great personification of Death as a lover, by Romeo, towards the end. The plays jam packed with imagery - pick a page at random if you're stuck!. Anyhow got to go or I'll be late! I'm like one of Pavlov's dog me!

Bandini
04-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Incidentally, I like to say 'fault' rather than flaw, because I believe that Shakes. deviated from the Greek formula. For example, the biggest fallacy is that Macbeth was ambitious. No he wasn't. His "...vaulting ambition...o'er leaps itself and falls..." Finlan O' Toole's excellent collection of essays - "Shakespeare's Hard, But So Is Life" has an essay that deals with this - and provides many other fantastic insights. WELL worth a look.

CluelessAngel
04-27-2005, 04:53 PM
'a lot' is about 2-4 examples of personification, metaphor, and/or Similes

Bandini
04-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Do they have to be from R+J? If they do I can tell you which act and scene and give you a 'clue' or two. I'll point you in the right direction, but I won't do it for you.

CluelessAngel
04-27-2005, 05:31 PM
yeah they have to be from Romeo and Juliet... and they cant be out of the Prologues

amuse
04-27-2005, 05:35 PM
you have to find approx. one per day then (2-3 due in 3 days)?

CluelessAngel
04-27-2005, 05:37 PM
well my project is due Friday (now in 2 days) and she wants at least 2 quotes that have examples of personification, metaphor, and/or Similes

kilted exile
04-27-2005, 05:56 PM
2 Questions.

1) do you know what similies/metaphors are?

2) Have you read the play?

If the answer to both is yes, then you should be having no problem with this assignment

If the answer to Q1 is NO: a similie is where you compare 2 things as similar using the words like or as (e.g. he was as cool as a cucumber, or the bullets sprayed from the gun barrel like raindrops from the sky). A metaphor is where you claim one thing is not similar to another thing, it is the other thing.

If the answer to Q2 is NO: why not?, however it is not a hard assignment, simply open up your text or check the text on the main site & pick nearly any Act & you'll find all the examples of similies/metaphors you will need.

Bandini
04-27-2005, 06:22 PM
The tartan bedecked one is spot on.

amuse
04-27-2005, 06:37 PM
i was wondering, since i don't want to be too, too rude - maybe finding 1 quote per day is taxing for some reason? is english your first language? if not, and you are taking this class to improve your understanding of it and english authors, google will translate 'simile,' 'metaphor,' and 'personification' into non-english languages; this may help.

Bandini
04-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Catty! But right.

byquist
04-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Hm? If Romeo didn't kill Tybalt, justified or not, then things might have turned out quite different. He lost his cool; lost his temper. Actually, if he wasn't so involved in the middle of Tybalt and Mercutio, Mercutio might not have been killed. Guess he has an overzealousness. If he had just eloped and moved to Switzerland, everything might have been hunky-dorry.

john124
10-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Can someone please explain what this quote means or suggests?
- 'Could you not take some occasion without giving'
it is a quote from Mercutio towards Tybalt.