PDA

View Full Version : Equlivent Exchange

wingedspiral
05-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Equlivent exchange:

First of all I would like to thank all you for reading this, and if such a person is reading this let me first introduce myself as a fan of all thoughts, opinions and all other such things. So please reply to me when you get the chance or ask questions of me if and when you can.
Now on to business, equlivent exchange, a fundamental rule in our universe, or a law made up in order to give us mortals some say in our future?

Equlivent exchange is a possible law that I have been thinking over, it is for lack of better words the balance in the world that says: “Humankind can’t give anything without first giving something in return, to obtain something of equal or grater value must be lost.” Now granted, this quote and original idea started in a popular Japanese anime, (their version of our cartoons, only deeper in moral messages.) that was roughly based in reality. But still I can’t help but think that it may be true, I mean think about.

We are an advanced culture, we have all the things that we could need or want, and yet most ‘modern people’ feel that there is something missing from or lives. Could it be that we have traded in our morals on humanity in for technology and other ‘advanced ideas’? Is it to keep the balance in Equlivet Exchange, and that we have to give up something so dear to us, such as our humanity, in order to feel that we are complete?

Now I don’t mean to give a lecture or anything, I only mean to plant an idea and hope that it catches. I mean Equlivent exchange could also be a bunch of bogus that was invented by poppycock men and women so that they feel like they discovered something.

All I’m saying is that we give something up weather we are aware of it or not, and all I want people to know is to be aware of the possibility that we might be following the theory of Equlivent Exchange. Just think about, and then please fill me in with other questions, rants or any other such things.
Thank you for your time.

jackyyyy
05-09-2006, 03:58 AM
Equlivent exchange:

First of all I would like to thank all you for reading this, and if such a person is reading this let me first introduce myself as a fan of all thoughts, opinions and all other such things. So please reply to me when you get the chance or ask questions of me if and when you can.
Now on to business, equlivent exchange, a fundamental rule in our universe, or a law made up in order to give us mortals some say in our future?

Equlivent exchange is a possible law that I have been thinking over, it is for lack of better words the balance in the world that says: “Humankind can’t give anything without first giving something in return, to obtain something of equal or grater value must be lost.” Now granted, this quote and original idea started in a popular Japanese anime, (their version of our cartoons, only deeper in moral messages.) that was roughly based in reality. But still I can’t help but think that it may be true, I mean think about.

We are an advanced culture, we have all the things that we could need or want, and yet most ‘modern people’ feel that there is something missing from or lives. Could it be that we have traded in our morals on humanity in for technology and other ‘advanced ideas’? Is it to keep the balance in Equlivet Exchange, and that we have to give up something so dear to us, such as our humanity, in order to feel that we are complete?

Now I don’t mean to give a lecture or anything, I only mean to plant an idea and hope that it catches. I mean Equlivent exchange could also be a bunch of bogus that was invented by poppycock men and women so that they feel like they discovered something.

All I’m saying is that we give something up weather we are aware of it or not, and all I want people to know is to be aware of the possibility that we might be following the theory of Equlivent Exchange. Just think about, and then please fill me in with other questions, rants or any other such things.
Thank you for your time.Thank you for the post, and I will give you one back to try help the point. ;) I think it must be necessary to establish value in order to establish equivalence. (as an example) While you wrote many words in your post, and possibly read many books on this notion, I am returning very little (in my opinion), though it could be argued that my few words are equivalent. Would that be accurate?

I guess also, if 100 people replied as I did, that could be equivalent, and then you would be quite right!

wingedspiral
05-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah... I guess that your right... but still, like you hinted at it would all have to be in a matter of a opion and the values of that person(s). I dunno though, I still think that it is still a possibility that Equlivent Exchange might exist. You said in your post ealier that while I wrote many words in my post, and you wrote so very little, and think that you are returning little. Well, you could look at it that way, while I look at it from a point of idea swapping. To me it is a equal exchange of ideas even though the words are measured out differently.

jackyyyy
05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
I certainly think it exists. I am sorry if my example left you thinking I was not sure. This shows up in Physics and Mathematics, though I was surprised by the term "Equivalent Exchange", left me wondering about "Non-equivalent Exchange" - things exchanged and of equivalent relative value. Its an interesting topic for many reasons, including social implications, and literary.

I hope you get more opinions from people into this thread!

Gallantry
05-09-2006, 02:57 PM
I would agree with the statement about values. Also, I haven't taken the time to span all circumstances but I would think that many times what is given up has little to do with what is gained. One can give hope without losing much besides the energy required to produce speech.

apple jiang
05-24-2006, 03:27 AM
Equlivent exchange:

Thank you for your time.
thanks for your long speech to me, I think a deep thinking lies in your mind,but maybe it's because of some kind of "culture shock",I don't quite understand your idea on Equlivent exchange .can you explain it more clearly to me? :confused:
another thing, nice to meet you here! :thumbs_up

Loveless
06-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I think that I can kind of understand what wingedspiral is trying to say. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I that he/she is trying to say in a very complicated way that Equlivent Exchange is a sort of theory of the delicate balance between the amout in giving and reciving. And he/she is trying to say that it is equal, that the amout that you put out is the same that you will recive. Right? At least that is what I think that wingedsprial is trying to say. And I kinda agree with that, that eventually we will recive what we give.

PeterL
06-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Equlivent exchange:

With a slight change I can accept that people usually act toward other people with the expectation that anything that they do will result in a reaction from the other person(s) that is perceived by the party of the first part to be of equal or greater value. The change being "perceived", which also gets us into the question of valuation. To make a long story short, people do things because they feel like doing things.

I don't want to get into the matter of culture, and the first clause doesn't have much meaning anyway, but the second clause is a wild leap. Who is this "we"? Few people have what they want or need. That's why people spend so much time doing things that might lead to them getting what they want or need. Do you think that most ‘modern people’ feel that there is something missing from or lives," because they are all deluded? I strongly suspect that there are important things missing from the lives of most of the people that I meet. I think that you should look at goals and results of being human are. Technology has not diminished the lives of people; it has made many parts of life easier and left more time for the important things.

cuppajoe_9
06-14-2006, 05:31 PM
“Humankind can’t give anything without first giving something in return, to obtain something of equal or grater value must be lost.”I think you need to further define 'something'. People can be said to give and recieve things like love that do not have an absolute value.

apple jiang
06-17-2006, 12:59 AM
oh, gradually I can understand your theory a little now, but I can't completely agree with what Loveless said, I think in essence, this world we are living in is not so equal as we have expected.yes of course most of the time it would give us what we asked for if we had given first , but sometimes it would also act in reverse.no matter how hard we have strived for our targets, we couldn't get satisfaction,and perhaps we have had nothing to with it at that time but to accept it. this is crual reality.

shinigami
06-17-2006, 06:52 AM
My gosh this is just Full Metal Alchemist.. An avid fan of anime myself and I can understand lots at my age.. Yes! Equivalent Exchange is existant... Through the cycle of life, the food web, the karma that we obtain ang give and through every little thing in the world. So, this is reality and we should just bear in mind that.. through every action we make, something will be done unto us one way or another...

blp
06-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Wingedspiral, why on earth are you providing free advertising for iPod? Aside from everything, it's incredibly distracting. I could barely read your post.

Loveless
06-20-2006, 08:20 PM
I think I know what it is, it is a spoof of an iPod comerical. If you look very closley it, it is the charcters from an anime called Fullmetal Alchemist, if you really don't belive me go the the website.

Loveless
06-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Apple Jiang, I can agree with you about somtimes striving to a target and not being able to reach it. But, perhaps when we are reaching for a goal we recive, earn back somthing that we were not striving for, and possibly already fulfilling equlivent exchange.

wingedspiral
06-20-2006, 08:34 PM
WOW...lots of people...
Okay lets get started.
Blp, it is exactly as Loveless said, my Avatar is a funny inside joke for those who are fans of Fullmetal Alchemist.
Cuppa Joe, when trying to define love it simply is not possible. For some Equlivent exchange is not possible and so they do not belive in it. It is all in perspective, what you value, is what you can compare to other things that you recive in comparision to that value. Does that make sense?
I have been thinking a lot since my last post on here, and I have come to a conclusion to this subject. It is my opion that equlivent exchange can only work with things that have an already equlivent universal value, a basic equal for all, because if not then it does not work because others have different values for that idea.

apple jiang
06-22-2006, 05:16 AM
But, perhaps when we are reaching for a goal we recive, earn back somthing that we were not striving for, and possibly already fulfilling equlivent exchange.
Eventually I understand what equlivent exchange is,Loveless.

Loveless
06-22-2006, 06:03 PM
WOW...lots of people...
Okay lets get started.
Blp, it is exactly as Loveless said, my Avatar is a funny inside joke for those who are fans of Fullmetal Alchemist.
Cuppa Joe, when trying to define love it simply is not possible. For some Equlivent exchange is not possible and so they do not belive in it. It is all in perspective, what you value, is what you can compare to other things that you recive in comparision to that value. Does that make sense?
I have been thinking a lot since my last post on here, and I have come to a conclusion to this subject. It is my opion that equlivent exchange can only work with things that have an already equlivent universal value, a basic equal for all, because if not then it does not work because others have different values for that idea.
So you are saying that only when thigs have a univeral value can it have an equlivent exchange? That does not make sense, what you saying now is totally differerent from what you said in you first post. And sense every one is different how can we all have the same value for one thing, let alone the rest of them, and since this maybe true does this mean that equlivent exchange is just somthing that can never work because others have differnt measures of values than me or any other person? I think that you may need to rethink this. Either that or I'm completley dense and don't get it.

Gallantry
06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
If it is something that requires a universal value then I would agree with loveless, we all value things to varying degrees. Nothing comes to mind that has a universal value which would make this one of those impossible ideas and doesn't really line up with what you were saying in your first post.

Loveless
06-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Okay, so it's not just me that see's this...phew I thought that I was somehow dense or somthing.