PDA

View Full Version : For anyone who need to succeed with argument essay

loveliterature20
05-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Features of Goods Argumentative Essays
A clear and unambiguous conclusion.
This should be your first sentence, so the reader knows what you are trying to prove.

Clearly state the issue and explain why it is important.

Good organization.
Keep sub arguments together. A sub argument usually takes one to three paragraphs to develop. Make the conclusion of the sub argument the first sentence.
Support claims with evidence. For every sentence ask yourself, "Why should my reader believe this?" Then give the evidence that will justify belief.
Clarify. Do not assume the reader will understand what you mean.
Define key terms.
Use appropriate modalities. (In other words don't overstep your evidentiary limits.) When you use a high modality (for instance, "certainly") then you must use a sound argument (valid with true premises). You must use a deductive argument form in order to prove a claim with a high modality.
Evidence of open-mindedness. It should be clear that thoughtful consideration is being given all positions. The BEST reasons for both positions should be in evidence, and both should be fairly analyzed based on their logical adequacy, not their emotional appeal.
Proper layout for an academic paper.
Elimination of logical fallacies, grammatical errors, and spelling errors.

Hope it is helpful for the one who is trying to write this kind of essay...

shinigami
05-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Okay.. I dpn't get why you posted this.. it's somewhat common sense but I have an idea.. Why don't we debate??? I simply adore debates...

mir
05-06-2006, 04:01 PM
yeah! for instance . . .

"The BEST reasons for both positions should be in evidence, and both should be fairly analyzed based on their logical adequacy, not their emotional appeal."

what if you're writing an argumentative essay based totally on emotional responses? like, an esssay where you argue that God exists. the only way you can DO that is with emotion (because tthere's no concrete evidence except for personal beleifs)

and why are the examples of "good" essay papers always filled with secondary references to people who have also written on the subject? shouln't a paper really BE a presentation of your own beleifs? becasue otherwise your only restating what other people have already said and that doesn't do any good.

heh heh. guess why my papers are eight pages long, filled with digressions and purely my own responses to whatever the book is . . .

zannie
05-10-2006, 04:13 AM
Well I must say i find this useful...especially that you have to have "A clear and unambiguous conclusion.
This should be your first sentence, so the reader knows what you are trying to prove", because i have often analysed poems stanza by stanza and then i'd conclude. interestingly though my lecturer highlighted this to us yesterday...so thank you for sharing.