PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

TBtheG
04-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Now you folks here at the literature network seem like a smart group, so here is my question to you, How does one go about starting their own legal religion/cult?

Logos
04-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Well first you need your credo man, what are you gonna do? save the world? eliminate high taxes? next massiah?

then you need bazillions of, er, people to give you all their money ! :lol:

(you did ask this in general chat so you don't get a "serious" answer)

Xamonas Chegwe
04-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Try claiming to be God incarnate - that's been known to work. :nod:

Virgil
04-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Now you folks here at the literature network seem like a smart group, so here is my question to you, How does one go about starting their own legal religion/cult?
One assumes then that you have a particular set of beliefs in mind. Can you outline them? And perhaps if convincing, I'll join.

TBtheG
04-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Actually I want to start a religion because I want lots of money, and I think I would really take pleasure in exploiting the simple minded eg. Scientology. Although saving the world and doing whatever righteous duties need to be done would be cool, but mostly the money would be sweet, plus you can command people.

papayahed
04-22-2006, 10:29 AM
One assumes then that you have a particular set of beliefs in mind. Can you outline them? And perhaps if convincing, I'll join.

Me too. Except I'll have to have some input on the type of attire we'll be required to wear - I'm not wearing those long robes.

TBtheG
04-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Well, Im thinking my religion will be based on being happy and hanging out, also there will be a potluck every saturday.

Nightshade
04-22-2006, 03:19 PM
errr isnt It illegal to "exploit the simple minded" first thing you need to do is get the words right... you want to release people fro the monotany of day to day life. And I wouldnt call i a religon either try a lifestyle program.
:nod:

RobinHood3000
04-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Actually I want to start a religion because I want lots of money, and I think I would really take pleasure in exploiting the simple minded eg. Scientology. Although saving the world and doing whatever righteous duties need to be done would be cool, but mostly the money would be sweet, plus you can command people.
Uhh, I wouldn't publicize that if I were you. It might cut into your membership.

Well, Im thinking my religion will be based on being happy and hanging out, also there will be a potluck every saturday.
You've got a couple options for what you want to call it: "Hedonism," or "Epicureanism" (depends what you mean by "happy").

Virgil
04-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Me too. Except I'll have to have some input on the type of attire we'll be required to wear - I'm not wearing those long robes.
Well, if we're going to invent this from scratch, why not have a cult with no clothes. :D No cool aids, please.

Nightshade
04-22-2006, 03:24 PM
NO!!!
humm wait can the smilies get a place?
:D:D:D::D:D:D:D:D:D

Stanislaw
04-22-2006, 03:31 PM
hmm, I would try preaching a little, talk about peace and happiness, make up some bogus stuff, hangout, grow long hair, chill some more, build a website...embrace some contradictory stuff, and say...I am not preaching hatred or support o a single religion, just peace, love, and co-existance...I gurantee in a year you will have followers...just don't forget to make some rituals, and select a cool *** alter type looking area. :D

ahh, I am pretty sure there is a warm place for me somewhere.

RobinHood3000
04-22-2006, 03:32 PM
NO!!!
humm wait can the smilies get a place?
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I don't see any clothes on 'em--why not?

subterranean
05-08-2006, 01:52 AM
I agree with Virgil there. If you just want the money, it is easier to create a cult than a religion...

kathycf
05-08-2006, 03:49 AM
1.) Create a non-profit org and apply for tax exempt status. That will help you keep more of the money you bilk...erm, receive from your followers.
2.) Have a good name "Church of the sanctified all-mighty Potluck" might work.
3.) Demand that your followers obey your every whim, and have some muscle to enforce all your strange and arbitrary rules.
4.) Costumes are essential to any good cult. I agree that long robes are so not cool, but I feel nudity could be a bit too breezy. This idea may require more thought to implement.
5.) Recruit a goodlooking but slow-witted celebrity to endorse your "faith". I think Tom Cruise is taken already, but I am sure you can find somebody...
6.) Have some fun dietary customs. Peanut butter Mondays, all cheese Tuesdays...stuff like that
7.) Last but not least, my consulting fee is $5,000.00. You can use Paypal.

Ok, hope that helps. ;) :D ;)

TBtheG
05-08-2006, 05:42 AM
Im thinking the costumes will be essential, not uniforms, just random costumes like a vampire or a ghost or something.
.......I call pirate

subterranean
05-08-2006, 07:48 AM
Now now...careful with the word Pirate...We're already have one here :)

RobinHood3000
05-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Several, actually.

Nightshade
05-08-2006, 03:32 PM
and zombies and witches and fairies and ghosts :D

Scheherazade
05-08-2006, 06:11 PM
You can always pretend to be a good egg who was brought up by Martians...

To be persuasive with this one, you might need to pull some tricks like staying under the water for undetermined periods of time or make things disappear etc but... you should be able to pull those off.

woeful painter
05-08-2006, 09:52 PM
I want to start my legion of Snoopies mwahahaha!

kathycf
05-09-2006, 03:38 AM
Im thinking the costumes will be essential, not uniforms, just random costumes like a vampire or a ghost or something.
.......I call pirate
Oh, for sure. Of course, the ghost costume will have to be a sheet over the head, that just makes good sense. Maybe animal outfits would work too,like a kitty or a pig. Pirates, are good as well, but like some others are saying, maybe they will be too much in demand. After all, a pirate gets those cool hooks for hands. ;)