PDA

View Full Version : New member a great admirer of Chas Dickens

wolfiebel
04-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Hello - I am a great admirerer of Charles Dickens despite his horrible attitude to his wife - for example turning on her and boarding up their bedroom after 13 children. However his great motto "make them laugh - make them cry " is a wonderful way of describing his art. Hia grotesque comic creations such as Micawber, Jerry Cruncher & Co go without saying, but I also find his descriptions of Steerforth, surely the most tender and understated way of desribing homosexuality in Victorian England. Has anybody got any other characters or passages that would help me to understand this great artist who managed to explain the human condition so humanely, whilst at the same time be so flawed himself. :D

amanda_isabel
04-16-2006, 02:56 PM
um, am not really sure hot to answer your quetion, since i'm not such a big fan of dickens myself. of course reading his works will show you something about himself, after all, writers pour a bit of themselves out on every page. read his works and i hope you'll be able to peek inside his soul. try biographies and see of he has any diaires that arefound or something. good luck and happy searching.

amanda_isabel
04-16-2006, 03:01 PM
p.s.
welcome to the forum...
hope you enjoy your time here

wolfiebel
04-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi Isabel, thank you for taking the trouble to reply. This is my first attempt at this sort of forum so I'm experimenting. I know Chas.Dickens backwards and if you're interested in getting to know him I reccommend "David Copperfield" as it's been an inspiration to me all my life

Petrarch's Love
04-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the forums Wolfiebel. :wave: I've read all but four or five of Dicken's novels, and I can never help but be floored by his power as a writer (not to mention driven alternately to tears and laughter :bawling: :lol: ). I agree with you that David Copperfield has to be one of the best. It's been some time since I was among its pages. I remember the subtle courtship of Pegotty, and his crazy Aunt who turned out to be so caring,, and of course the usual suspects--Agnes, and the 'umble Uriah and Mr. Micawber etc. I used to think Dora was one of the most annoying character Dickens ever created, but time has softened my opinion of her, she is so truly devoted and unselfish toward him.

Well, just rambling on a bit. I was wondering though, since you know Dickens "backwards," if you might give me your opinion. I read at least one Dickens novel every summer (during the school year I have to give my reading time over to my graduate work in Renaissance poetry), and I've been trying to decide what this summer's reading should be from those I have left to read. Which of these would you most recommend?:

Bleak House
Hard Times
Our Mutual Friend
Sketches by Boz (not actually a novel I suppose)
The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums.:)

Pensive
04-16-2006, 09:41 PM
I read Nocholos Nickleby and A Tale Of Two Cities by Dickens. I liked both of them but specially, I loved A Tale Of Two Cities.

Have a nice time here wolfiebin!

wolfiebel
04-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Hello Petrarchs Love I agree that Dora is very silly - its quite clever of Dickens to marry David to someone exactly like his own mother. Shes got tremendous charm and died before her looks went off - I bet Dickens wished same could have happened to his own wife!
TRY BLEAK House - it is rather dense and dificult though the BC has just done a fantastic adaption which realy brought it to life.

Charles Darnay
04-17-2006, 09:50 AM
I read Bleak House and Hard Times - consecutivly actually. I'd recommend Hard Times over Bleak House - I found it to be more enjoyable and very Dickens-like.

Petrarch's Love
04-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Wolfiebel--That's funny, I'd never noticed that Dora was like his mother, but you've got a good point there.

Charles Darnay--"Dickens-like?" You mean it's not the real thing, just a good imitation? ;) Sorry, I know what you meant, but I couldn't resist.

Thank you both for the recommendations. Maybe I'll have to just flip a coin--or find time for both Hard Times and Bleak House.