PDA

View Full Version : A Challenging Read? Working at my Hibbletthopper (Poetical Nonsense)

Anon22
04-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Alright, so I've been reading a lot of Lewis Carrol and have been a bit inspired to write... well... nonsense :lol: at any rate, just the other day my teacher was talking about how words are basically just symbols for things and how the word "flower" could've just as easily been "computer". He also said how the word (and item) "desk" and "chair" could've easily been called "hibblehopper"(or was it popper) and "gnizzledorff". So with that I mixed the two ideas to write a poem with a lot of... "new words" or in other words gibberish. :lol: I don't think it went that well x) at least not as good as Lewis' writing, I bet you it he would've made such an idea a wonder or something (even though I'm quite aware that he did create "new words" like... what was it? frubilous? just never made a poem based on it). Alright here we are:

Before I start I'll put what the words mean and stuff so you don't get confused, and how they are pronounced so you don't get to... tongue-twisted:

1. Hibbltthhopper(hibblt-th-hopper)- Desk, to pronounce it just think thopper-hopper, hopper-thopper, and combine the two to make thhopper (like how Lewi said with frubilous)
2. Gnizzledorff(jnizzle-dorff)- Chair, you sort of pronounce the j at the beginning. Kind of like beginning to say Jay but then changing your mind quickly(before fully saying it) and saying nizzle x)
3. meni-plocker- Many problems... shouldn't be such a problem to say, meni is pronounced pretty much like many. Plocker not as it poker but as in clocker.
4. Tedi-horff(teddy horff)- Tedious Homework. Teddy as in teddy bear, horff as in... exactly the way it's pronounced

5. Blink-blink - motion of blinking twice or thrice... bleh... you know the deal... :lol:
6. Dreewycries(dri-wee-cries)- Sleepy/Tired eyes
7. Didth(didth)- not did, not doth, but didth
8. Wattoeyes(wat-to-eyes)- like want to cry, but what to eyes... see what I did with 6 and 8?
9. kcloc(clock)-clock
10. ted(ted)-ten

11. Sudd-a-think(sudd-a-think)- shortened form of "suddenly a thought"
12. Plkured(Pluck-ured) - occured. it's like pluck but without u basically. the ured ured part from occured or cured.
13. A-duck-ptrd(A-Duck-Puturd)- A duck passed by. Like puturd without the u's :lol: like what I said last time

14. plarkies(plar-keys)- Pennies. Like car keys, but plarkies.
15. Duck-ad-seen(duck-ad-seen)- duck I've seen. To put it simple: Drunkard->Duckard->Duckad then seen. Duckadseen :)
16. Krauqies(crokies)- Quarters. Don't know what to tell you :lol:
16. Plock-ad-feen(plock-ad-feen)- Problem I've finished (in this case, the homework). If you can say Duck-ad-seen... then you can say plock-ad-feen

17. Dwarfads(dwar-fads)- Dollars. Say war... then dwar... and fad... then fads... then dwarfads :)
18. Dearn-earn
19. mkloradon(kloradon)- Chore finished.
20. tommies(tommies)-presents
21. pflienderon(flienderon)-friends

22. Meni-quests(many quests)- Many questions
23. Duckadought(duck-a-dot)- Duck I've seen
24. anball(an ball)- an eyeball

25. Thiffblthsumber(thiff-bl-th-sumber)- Sweet deep slumber. If you can say the Hibbiltthhopper... you can say thiffblthsumber
26. Mashacountaeepasizing(masha-counta-eep-a-sizing)- Counting sheep. Shouldn't be too hard to pronounce (from the parenthesis part)
27. Drimvltthhumber(drim-vlt-th-humber)- Dream Hunger/Sleep Hunger. If you can say thiffblthsumber and hibbiltthhopper... yeah...
28. Snawchacautialeegrizing(Snawcha-cowchia-leeger-izing)-Sawing Logs and Snoring.

29. Stran-gestiff(Stran-gest-tiff)- Strangest dream. Like Stran, then jest, then tiff
30. Piff(piff)- Pebble
31. Threawt(Thrwe-t)-Threw it. Threa as in Thread, and wt... as in... t. Threawt(Kind of like threat).
31. Sead(seed)- Pond

32. Ming(Ming)- Name of pond
33. Fead(fed)- Feather
34. Tliead(Tlead)- Tail. T+lead basically...
35. Skip-a-ding(skip-a-ding)- Skipping/coming by.

36. Itnringinokepilplkorff(It-ring-in-oke-pil-plkorff)- Oh how it devours at my homework!
37. Clefolclaklklkin(Clefol-clakl-klakin)- That cursed ugly duck!
38. Deroklerocerokorff(Dero-klero-sero-korff)- What will I tell
39. Maeatchikdldlkrin(Met-chik-dildl-krin)- my teacher now!?
40. Wheach(wh-each)- Which for each
41. Plinch(plinch)- Inch
42. think(think)-thought
43. Thought(thought)-Think

Working at my Hibbltthhopper (Poetical Nonsense)

I was working at my hibbltthhopper,
sitting on my gnizzledorff,
Thoughting through the meni-plocker,
Of my tedi-horff.

Blink-blink went my dreewycries.
How didth it fall - my head.
Boredom made me wattoeyes.
How didth the kcloc strike ted.

When all the sudd-a-think plkured,
rushing through my mind,
as I saw, outside, a-duck-ptrd,
floating gently, kind.

How many plarkies would I have
for every duck-ad-seen?
How many krauqies would I have
for every plock-ad-feen?
How many dwarfads would I dearn
for every mkloradon?
How many tommies would I glearn
from every pflienderon?

The meni-quests inside my mind,
the meni-quests indeed,
for wheach an answer I shall find,
an answer, find, proceed.

And then for every think I thought,
a plinch my head didth fall.
And then for every duckadought,
The closing of anball

Until I fell in thiffblthsumber,
mashacountaeepasizing,
satisfying drimvltthhumber,
snawchacautialeegrizing.

But, didth I have the stran-gestiff,
the stran-gestiff indeed,
in which I saw and grabbed a piff,
and threawt it at a sead.

How didth the little duck-a-ling
wash its shiny head,
poured the waters of the Ming,
on every silver fead.
How cheerfully it spread its wing,
so it can clean its tliead,
before the piff went skip-a-ding,
and hit it on its head.

Slowly do I now awaken,
finding every thought absurd,
that language before which I was speakin'
where a bunch of words are slurred

But yet, I must be dreaming still,
my sister, next to me,
is grinning - took her happy pill,
has a duckling filled with glee.

itnringinokepilplkorff!
clefolclaklklkin!
deroklerocerokorff
Maeatchikdldlkrin!

Charles Darnay
04-09-2006, 09:48 PM
good thought... two problems.

1. Stanza 8 is a rip off of a Carrol's peom.
2. The thing with Carrol's poems (I'm going with Jabberwocky here 'cause it's the one I'm most familiar with) is that even without a glossery, you can fully understand what is going on. Jabberwocky is a beautifully clear poem. You seemed too focued on the gibberish part that you forgot about the poem part.
"You must become master of the rules before you can begin to break them" - howeer, I understand that you most likely wrote it simply for the fun - I'd be lying if I say I haven't done the same. But like yours, my poems came out few too many steps below Carrol's

amanda_isabel
04-10-2006, 04:44 AM
nice idea.. keep on writing, it's the only way to discover what you really can do.

blp
04-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Well, it made me laugh in places. Charles has as point, but in some ways the unintelligibility of your poem was what made it fun, at its best.

As an aside, from what I can gather, a surprisingly large measure of Jabberwocky is not nonsense. An awful lot of those words turn out to be in the dictionary - and not attributed to Carrol.

Anon22
04-10-2006, 05:04 PM
good thought... two problems.

1. Stanza 8 is a rip off of a Carrol's peom.
2. The thing with Carrol's poems (I'm going with Jabberwocky here 'cause it's the one I'm most familiar with) is that even without a glossery, you can fully understand what is going on. Jabberwocky is a beautifully clear poem. You seemed too focued on the gibberish part that you forgot about the poem part.
"You must become master of the rules before you can begin to break them" - howeer, I understand that you most likely wrote it simply for the fun - I'd be lying if I say I haven't done the same. But like yours, my poems came out few too many steps below Carrol's

Yeah, I kind of agree with that... I guess I did overexaggerate a little with gibberish. Even though this was my first poem doing such a thing and I tend overexaggerate first (in these types of situations) because I just get too eager since its a new idea I thought. Basically, this sort of means this one was just a poem to try out my idea (and this is also why I decided to make it have the "How Doth the Little Crocodile" part, it was basically trying out... so why not). My next one probably won't have much gibberish, and as a "poem resolution" if there's one thing I've learned, is to make the words more fluent, so it'll be easier to read and trying not to do weird stuff like switching cry and eye (wattocry probably sounds better, less creative, but definitely better). Thus in my next poem (of this kind) I'll also try to make the words more fluent (not all though, because part of the fun is to try to pronounce it, so a couple of hard words to pronounce here and there). In the end, like you said, I made this poem just for fun.

agoogldbdloo!(Toodles/Bye, a-googald-bdloo)