PDA

View Full Version : please,I need some help

rame2000sat
04-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Please, real help:
I have difficulties understanding a paragraph from the Norton Anthology of American literature, Third Edition, Volume 1, page 984, The Poet by Ralph Waldo Emerson In literature class and I have an exam in it. He is an American writer who wrote about the Romanticism and their thoughts. I need some one who has a huge knowledge about it in order to explain the thirteen paragraphs from The Poet which is;

The universe is the externization of the soul. Wherever the life is, that bursts into appearance around it. Our science is sensual, and therefore superficial. The earth and the heavenly bodies, physics, and chemistry, we sensually treat, as if they were self_existant; but these are the retinue of that Being we have" the mighty heaven," said Proclus, " exhibits, in its transfigurations, clear images of the splendor of intellectual perceptions being moved in conjunction with the unapparent periods of in of intellectual natures." Therefore science always goes abreast with the just elevation of the man, keeping step with religion and metaphysics; or the state of science is an index of our self-knowledge. Since everything in nature answers to moral power, if any phenomenon remains brute and dark it is that the corresponding faculty in the observer is not yet active.

mousemouse
04-15-2006, 05:58 AM
I don't know if I would call my knowledge on the subject great, but I think I do understand the paragraphs.
The German romantics who followed after Kant and developed his philosophy even further (even though he warned against this himself) had a holistic view of the world.
By this they meant, that everything is God and that God is everything. They believed that a single human could find everything inside himself because of this.
The poets themselves were the best vehicles of this information, because the poem in itself was (or at least ought to be) a mixture of sience, religion and philosophy. So they (the poets) would be the best observers in the vocabulary used by Ralph Waldo Emerson.
This means, that the better you know youself, the better you know God. In the quote God isn't mentioned, but is substituted with moral power, which then again represents science, religion and philosophy.
I think that you have to go back to Kant and study the philosophy from there on if you really want to understand the subject. But I hope that this has helped just a little.