PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of those days...or human nature?

Stanislaw
04-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Ever have one of those days where you feel like being an *******, or super nice, or depressive?

Why do people have a desire to act like *******s? (well maby it's just me) but it seems counter productive to an evolutionary sense of global cooperation.

So, Today I woke Up and I felt like being an ***. I'm just wondering if anyone else shares this emotion. :thumbs_up

Nightshade
04-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Yes I have the ohh What mood am I in days thats why I was gone for a while I was BAD company .
I dont really mind the"***" days( hough I guess others do) its the depressive ones I hate when you wake and everything is so muffled and slow and quietly sad.

jackyyyy
04-04-2006, 05:26 PM
So, Today I woke Up and I felt like being an ***. I'm just wondering if anyone else shares this emotion. :thumbs_up

Interesting question, you just can't cope with whatever it is, even if its just getting out of bed, so you take it out on the first person in the line up at the bus stop, beat them up verbally, shout at a few passing cars, wail at the bus driver because he did not stop exactly where you are standing, then make a fuss over the fare, throwing pennies at the poor guy when you have the exact fare, push a few grannies to the left and right heading to the back seat when the first seats are actually available, put two fingers up at someone in a passing car, looking at you because you are staRRING at them, get to work later than you intended, complain that life made you work, then for no reason other than its Monday, bin all the office paper because its not white enough, spill some coffee on the office carpet to assert its YOUR space, and feel omnipotent while you throw files onto other people's desks, put callers on hold while you read the obituary section to see if one of your 'best' friends made it - and improved your day, and even as your boss is scrutinizing your last month's work, wondering nervously if you would be twice an ***-**** if he tried to talk up to you, then forwarding a nasty email 100 times to someone you don't know, then following up with, "oops, my computer is only a 5 speed", leaving in a fit of disgust at others for being so lame as to not walk out early, but have the decency to close the door behind you, turning the latch on it quietly. No, I don't.

emily655321
04-04-2006, 08:07 PM
On those days, I don't lash out; I get snarky. With a capital "SNAR." I can't quite manage to make my "I love customers!" smile curl completely out of a sneer, or I end up staring vacantly where a "no, thank you" was called for... then I finally get home and come online, where I breathe a sigh of relief and proceed to barrel through posts with "THIS IS WHAT I THINK! Did you say something?" written all over them. And sometimes I eat lots of peanut butter.

I'm such a woman.

chef
04-05-2006, 12:34 AM
you know what i hate when you are all depress and you just can't get out of bed in the morning then you get all mad because you don't like to be depress and it just gets even more bad because now you are depress and mad!!! HATE THEM!!!

Nightshade
04-05-2006, 02:05 AM
r I end up staring vacantly where a "no, thank you" was called for... .
Wel Ive got a method for customers who dont say thanks.I go into ultrapolite mode for some unknown reason the english get squirmy when you say "your welcome", dont knowwhy its only polite.
~hand over oibray card~ thankyou
every boolk gets handed over thankyou whe it gets given back they get a thankyou oh and a your welcome and thankyou as they are leaving. They seldom dont say thanks at least once:D

Kaltrina
04-05-2006, 05:15 AM
My mood is related to weather... I hate that but whenever it is sunny I am in a good mood and wener it is cloudy or raining I feel depressed, melancholic and a lot of other things... in rainy and cloudy days I would just love to stay at home and have contact with anyone, but then again staying at home makes me nostalgic and wanting to see people I love, so I stuck getting confused...lol... I have days when everyone is guilty of making me angry, just like jacky described it... whatever someone does, it gets on my nerves and I would like just to yell at everyone... :D
but luckily I am not usually like that... :D

Virgil
04-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Wel Ive got a method for customers who dont say thanks.I go into ultrapolite mode for some unknown reason the english get squirmy when you say "your welcome", dont knowwhy its only polite.
~hand over oibray card~ thankyou
every boolk gets handed over thankyou whe it gets given back they get a thankyou oh and a your welcome and thankyou as they are leaving. They seldom dont say thanks at least once:D
Night, tell me if I'm wrong. I worked with the english on a project a couple of years ago and even spent a week out your way. One thing I noticed (sorry if this is the wrong thread for this) is that almost no english person says the word "yes;" they all say "yeah." Even in a formal situation. I was surprised. I imagined the english as being very proper with the language, more so than we Americans. "Yeah" is something I always took for as Brooklynese. [I, BTW, grew up in Brooklyn, NY and we have our own slang.]

AimusSage
04-05-2006, 08:18 AM
My mood is pretty stable, while I do have my off-days, they are far and few between. However usually it fades during the day, and by the time it is evening, I'm back to my natural self. I might not thank the busdriver for getting me to my destination on such days though.

emily655321
04-05-2006, 09:44 AM
My mood is related to weather... I hate that but whenever it is sunny I am in a good mood and wener it is cloudy or raining I feel depressed, melancholic and a lot of other things... in rainy and cloudy days I would just love to stay at home and have contact with anyone...
Same here. :nod: My mood often changes with the seasons, too: I spend the first week of change very happy, then the second week I am on the floor in despair, can't pick myself up. A week ago my mother came to visit me, and I couldn't stop crying. She was like, "Oh, it's because it's spring, isn't it?" :lol:

Stanislaw
04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
My weather is heavily affected by the weather aswell.

I really enjoy cold damp rainy spring days...its just so melencholy that its almost humerous in a ironic sort of way.

At Jackyyyy: Well I haven't thrown any pennies at the busdriver, nor have I pushed around any old ladies or the like, but thanks for the tips! :D

My arseholish behavior usually revolves around my inability to be polite, the ability to snap at stupid sounding inquiries, and ignoring people who are trying to vent there troubles on me...I am more of a prick then an *******

jackyyyy
04-05-2006, 02:17 PM
My weather is heavily affected by the weather aswell.

I really enjoy cold damp rainy spring days...its just so melencholy that its almost humerous in a ironic sort of way.

At Jackyyyy: Well I haven't thrown any pennies at the busdriver, nor have I pushed around any old ladies or the like, but thanks for the tips! :D

My arseholish behavior usually revolves around my inability to be polite, the ability to snap at stupid sounding inquiries, and ignoring people who are trying to vent there troubles on me...I am more of a prick then an *******

I wanted to discuss this more because its deep under my fear button. I can't name the person in my mind, but.. she really got me scared when her mood would change back .00004 seconds later, like n o t h i n g had happened. She talks about it freely, absolutely honestly, and every last word is exactly true. On the other face of this Eve, she can be the sweetest girl you could meet. What does that tell ya?

jackyyyy
04-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Night, tell me if I'm wrong. I worked with the english on a project a couple of years ago and even spent a week out your way. One thing I noticed (sorry if this is the wrong thread for this) is that almost no english person says the word "yes;" they all say "yeah." Even in a formal situation. I was surprised. I imagined the english as being very proper with the language, more so than we Americans. "Yeah" is something I always took for as Brooklynese. [I, BTW, grew up in Brooklyn, NY and we have our own slang.]
Hmm, I always say 'yes' because I want to use least effort to say YES, and I want to be 100% sure the other person understood it, and only it. If I say it any other way, someone might interpret 'maybe'. Imagine an air traffic controller.. "Yeah, its runway 15 today.......................maybe". Sounds like he is half asleep. 'Yeah' sounds cool, more laid back, less strict and if its the wrong runway, call me back.

Nightshade
04-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Well it is wide spread, I think Grumpy old men called it the basterdisation of the English language by ********** who are too lazy to speak english. I think.
Yeah yeah is most offen used by most people some how I cant picture The queen saying yeah though. Depends on the situ. you cant say yeah please. you say yes please:D

JAckyyyy Feel free to correct me but I waas under the assumtion that Traffic contrioller sort of have ther own language.
:D

jackyyyy
04-05-2006, 04:23 PM
JAckyyyy Feel free to correct me but I waas under the assumtion that Traffic contrioller sort of have ther own language.
:D
They have codes and terms, but one of their most important objectives is to be as precise and clear as possible - they have no idea who is flying the plane. 'YES' is totally unambiguous in any sense I can think of, and 'Yeah', like I wrote earlier, is kind of maybeish to some people, something about the tone. I mean, why use 'YEAH', or 'YEP', or 'SURE', when you could use YES?

Here is another one, and this comes from American and Canadian English, since I never heard anyone anywhere else say it - 'Sounds good'. The first time someone said that to me, I was left totally unclear as to 'was it good', 'it only sounds good, 'it was not good', 'could be good'. Again, it depends on the person, its like one of those common ambiguous phrases we come across that we cannot take to the bank and say that means that.

Stanislaw
04-05-2006, 05:04 PM
I wanted to discuss this more because its deep under my fear button. I can't name the person in my mind, but.. she really got me scared when her mood would change back .00004 seconds later, like n o t h i n g had happened. She talks about it freely, absolutely honestly, and every last word is exactly true. On the other face of this Eve, she can be the sweetest girl you could meet. What does that tell ya?

Menopause? :D (okay I am back to being a prick)

I think that is pretty extreme, but it could be that she is very bad morning person...I bet she is perfectly nice in the evenings?

Stanislaw
04-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Here is another one, and this comes from American and Canadian English, since I never heard anyone anywhere else say it - 'Sounds good'. The first time someone said that to me, I was left totally unclear as to 'was it good', 'it only sounds good, 'it was not good', 'could be good'. Again, it depends on the person, its like one of those common ambiguous phrases we come across that we cannot take to the bank and say that means that.

Indeed! canadian english: eh...(couldn't help myself there), but I understand what you are saying...I do career counselling/misc. insturction at an immigrant serving agency and I always tell my clients or students to ask me to clarify anything I say that they do not understand...I started doing this because one of my coworkers, could not understand what I was saying most of the time (I was doing some IT at the time and she couldn't handle my slang)

best example of language gaps: Two friends are talking and one tells the other to kick ***...are they mad at each other? I had a friend ask me this, so slang and the development of languages (regional specific that is) is fascinating.

jackyyyy
04-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Menopause? :D (okay I am back to being a prick)

I think that is pretty extreme, but it could be that she is very bad morning person...I bet she is perfectly nice in the evenings?

Nooo, more like bipolar - totally feather triggered. Its not the same thing you mentioned above, you just reminded me of the extreme **-****, then I went on a trek in my head.

jackyyyy
04-05-2006, 06:30 PM
best example of language gaps: Two friends are talking and one tells the other to kick ***...are they mad at each other? I had a friend ask me this, so slang and the development of languages (regional specific that is) is fascinating.
I still get people on the phone ending a conversation with "Sounds good, talk to you later...", leaving me wondering if it was good???. I wonder if regionally it works or people actually live their lives 'wondering'. I thought it was a good example of how some words/expressions are definite and others are not. I told some Argentinians once, "takes a lot of *** to do that", referring to some huge man made structure. They thought I was joking about the size of the local ***.

emily655321
04-05-2006, 06:49 PM
"Sounds good" is a phrase I use now and then. As hard as it may be to believe, it really does just mean "yes." :D Far from meaning "maybe," it's even more "yes" than "yes," if that makes sense. If you imagine that "yes" can sometimes mean, "Okay, but you have no idea how I feel on the subject; I conceed, but I may not be happy about it," "sounds good" means, "Yes, and I approve of this situation." It's sort of a "Yes, and..."

By the way, your friend sounds more Borderline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder[/url) than Bipolar. Bipolar disorder rarely fluctuates so rapidly, with the fastest of changes usually occurring over a period of days. People with Borderline are characterized by violent and sudden mood swings, sometimes several a day, and impulsive and unstable behavior, especially regarding interpersonal relationships.

jackyyyy
04-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Maybe its to do with the tone used, "sounds good!" is upbeat, and "sounds good...." is not. Because you see it as positive, do you always say, "sounds good!"? And, do you always have an upbeat feeling when you hear or read it?

Borderline would be it then. I only worked with her for a short while, but noted the differences in actions, perceptions, speed, even the way of talking was huge. After that I started to notice in many people, good days and bad days (as we refer to it), and it makes sense we would not always be the same mentally, as physically.

emily655321
04-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Because you see it as positive, do you always say, "sounds good!"? And, do you always have an upbeat feeling when you hear or read it?Well, I don't scream it at people. :D But, yeah, in my experience people usually say it at the end of a conversation, when a consensus has been reached. I can't think of a time when I've heard it said doubtfully, unless it was part of a sentence: "Sounds good, but how do you expect to accomplish it with your limited funding?" (People don't actually talk to me that way, btw. :p They'd say something like, "Silly girl, you can't do that. You're broke. Here's a cookie." Except without the cookie. People don't give me cookies nearly as often as they should. Which is always.)

jackyyyy
04-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I remember saying to someone, about their plan, "Sounds good, but, its not going to work!". Here's a cookie then.. actually, just take the whole box.