PDA

View Full Version : New Found Vintage Book

ColleenSTP
03-29-2006, 04:16 AM
While going thru my in laws basement I came across a suede bound copy of A Christmas Carol. There is an inside note dated Christmas 1903. The title page just says " A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens Borse & Hopkins New York. It is 145 pages long with gold edges on the pages. There are not other dates in the book. I am wondering if this might be a 1st addition and my "find" of the century. If anyone has any info. or insight as to where & can get any more information on this great book I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Colleen St. Pierre

emily655321
03-29-2006, 08:59 AM
"A Christmas Carol" was originally published in December 1843 by Chapman & Hall, London. I'm afraid what you have is not an original. If you'd like to get your hands on one, though, they're selling it here (http://www.abebooks.co.uk/search/sortby/1/an/Charles+Dickens/tn/A+Christmas+Carol)... for $60,000 Canadian.

Nevertheless, the turn of the century is often considered to be the birth of the "modern" Christmas, and your book with the note sounds charming and very special—sentimentally, if not monetarily. Books of any age are precious, but I've always had a special place in my heart for old ones. :)

ColleenSTP
03-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can go to find out more about this book or to get it appraised?

Rosie Cotton
03-29-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't know where you live exactly, so I can't tell you really. It seems like quite a find, though not an original. I'd start at an antiques shop or a public library. If they can't help you there, they can probably direct you to a place that they can tell you about the book, it's value and whatnaught.