PDA

View Full Version : Teachings

papayahed
03-28-2006, 03:37 PM
I had a conversation with a coworker in which he asked me about religion, I tried to get out of answering because I knew it wold lead to him preaching to me.

I'm not asking what religion anybody is, but I'm wondering if you agree with all the teachings of your religion?

I was raised and for the most part am still Catholic, but I don't think every thing they teach is correct but I haven't found any other religion that I believe is "more correct".

Virgil
03-28-2006, 03:53 PM
I am in the same catagory as you, Papaya. Actually I think of my religious thoughts as working in two different planes. One plane is the mysterious, universal religion that all humanity falls under and for which the universe and life function and are created. A second plane is that of my tradition and up bringing, which is also Catholic, and of which I may quibble over certain aspects of its doctrine; but for the most part I accept it. Now for it to make sense (at least for me) these two planes are not in parallel but actually intersect, as do with other religions.

Amra
03-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I am a muslim, and I do agree with all the teachings of the religion. I don't know how you cannot? If you accept a book as God's word, shouldn't you accept it as such completely? And if you do, then you cannot negate one thing, and accept the other. However, if you do not accept it as God's word, than that's another story. In Islam, you cannot be a muslim unless you accept the whole Qur'an as it is, believing in every letter in it.

Mililalil XXIV
03-29-2006, 03:34 AM
I am a muslim, and I do agree with all the teachings of the religion. I don't know how you cannot? If you accept a book as God's word, shouldn't you accept it as such completely? And if you do, then you cannot negate one thing, and accept the other. However, if you do not accept it as God's word, than that's another story. In Islam, you cannot be a muslim unless you accept the whole Qur'an as it is, believing in every letter in it.
GOD never claimed that all of HIS Teaching is written as opposed to oral. Catholics believe there is the true Interpretation of Scripture, on the one hand, then the private speculation on the other hand. Due to the latter, some disagree with other Catholics who hold to the true Interpretation. GOD has allowed this to trip up the careless in their straying thoughts, and to exercise and test the Fidelity of others in the Perfection of the Faith.

One may agree that the Scriptures are completely true, yet not have read Them carefully enough, then, so failing to have read them properly, may go on to try to discredit the true Interpretation, which only seems wrong to them, but in fact is correct - and they may be reasoning that they do this to correct what they blindly percieve to be the longtime abondoning of things originally passed down. As a protestant for a while in the past, I did that.

When I first became a Catholic, I knew the Church was the one CHRIST built, so my disagreements here and there I intended to bring with me into the House of GOD, and fight from within for the Faith once for all delivered in the Church's Conception in CHRIST. Most of my contentions soon disappeared, and the only contention that I still had was not one that contradicted the Scriptures, nor one that contradicted any actual Papal Dogma (it is something no Pope ever spoke ex Cathedra - and, therefore, it cannot be demanded of any Catholic to believe it, this thing being a mere private opinion that gained widespread private appeal). I suggest that any protestant seeking to be holy does not compromise that desire by being Catholic, but would make for an earnest Catholic with such a desire borne at Home in GOD's House.

Many that were recently on the verge of becoming protestants, among those that I know, after studying proper explanations of various articles of the Catholic Faith, became more convinced of their own Heritage, finding they were happy to be where they are with greater appreciation for what they never realized they had been given by GOD all of these years.

As for Christianity, or any religion at all, an authoritative book is but part of a tradition that passed it on. One cannot rightly believe the quran without also believing the tradition most immediately around the beginning of its propagation. Amra has elsewhere said she does not think that much of what is necessary to believe that Muhammad is a prophet is really islamic. I believe all of the Tradition immediately around the Bible's formation and handing on.

Amra
03-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Amra has elsewhere said she does not think that much of what is necessary to believe that Muhammad is a prophet is really islamic. I believe all of the Tradition immediately around the Bible's formation and handing on.

What???? First of all, what is this supposed to mean? SEcondly, if you indeed said what I think you said, where did I claim something like that?

Amra
03-29-2006, 09:27 AM
GOD never claimed that all of HIS Teaching is written as opposed to oral. Catholics believe there is the true Interpretation of Scripture, on the one hand, then the private speculation on the other hand. Due to the latter, some disagree with other Catholics who hold to the true Interpretation. GOD has allowed this to trip up the careless in their straying thoughts, and to exercise and test the Fidelity of others in the Perfection of the Faith.

I don't know what this has to do with the whole topic. The question is whether or not you believe in all the teachings of your religion. Period. If your religion has both oral and written sources, than you apply the question accordingly. HOw much importance you place on oral transmitted revelation versus written documents is another question. I don't think that any religion could have survived if things were not written down so that they could be preserved. Qur'an is the first source in Islam, but you cannot be a muslim if you reject the sunnah of Prophet Mohammed a.s. However, all that has nothing to do with the question. I believe in ALL the teachings of my religion; what that compromises is another issue.

One may agree that the Scriptures are completely true, yet not have read Them carefully enough, then, so failing to have read them properly, may go on to try to discredit the true Interpretation, which only seems wrong to them, but in fact is correct - and they may be reasoning that they do this to correct what they blindly percieve to be the longtime abondoning of things originally passed down. As a protestant for a while in the past, I did that.

We follow the interpretations of what we believe was God's message. Yes. But, again, the teachings of a religion could come from various sources, the question is whether or not you accept them as true. If the Bible says do not make an image of God, and you continue to do so, than I must ask you do you really follow your religion or not, and can you really blame the negating of this commandment on different interpretations?

Many that were recently on the verge of becoming protestants, among those that I know, after studying proper explanations of various articles of the Catholic Faith, became more convinced of their own Heritage, finding they were happy to be where they are with greater appreciation for what they never realized they had been given by GOD all of these years.

What kind of an argument is this? Let me try....
Many atheists that never believed in God realized that Islam is the true religion and came back to their heritage. :D